Binge Eating

Options
I had a moment last night, as I sat with the ice cream container on my lap while watching TV. I need HELP. Like actual professional help. Even though I am not over weight (I weigh 136lbs), I am absolutely a binge eater. I hate myself. It's preventing me from succeeding in programs that I love. I really want my I EARNED IT Insanity t-shirt, so so much!

So today, I am going to call my doctor and ask for help. I have no idea what to expect from there. Anti-depressants? A referral to a dietician? Psychologist? I think I need all of those.

Has anyone successfully beaten this? I just keep thinking of all the time I have wasted knowing I have a problem and not getting help. I could look HOT right now...and I don't. I feel nasty and I am setting a lousy example for my kids.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I beat this :)

When i overcame binge eating, i started to feel all the raw emotions that i was covering up with food in the past. I've recently come to terms with the fact that I need to go to therapy to deal with these issues that caused me to gorge myself.

You're on the right path.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best! Good on you for seeking help.
    I dont have a binge eating disorder, but i battle with Anorexia... So i understand having a issue that is food related.
    good luck with it all!! xx
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi

It's really hard to overcome this. I have problems with this for the emotional reasons Anjy mentions below but actually it also has a lot to do with sugar. I have since tried to use a "Low GI" approach to my diet and it has really helped. I used to have really bad sugar cravings in the afternoon which lead to me eating stupid amounts of things like entire blocks of chocolate or 3 bowls of sugary cereal in one sitting. Low GI helped me to be more careful about what I ate during the day and then the cravings were reduced to almost nothing.

To get an idea of what low GI foods there are see:
    http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

I don't go crazy with it but I do try to use it as a guide - particularly for breakfast and lunch.

Good luck with your quest to reduce the binging!!!

:tongue:
  • AmandaLenn86
    AmandaLenn86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I actually am a Binge/Emotional eater and still struggle with it each day...I actually had a binge day just yesterday.. I was feeling so overwhelmed with emotions that i just couldnt control it, Then after it was over i felt HORRIBLE!!! you can overcome this i would suggest seeing a doctor as i am also, we have faith in you and wish you the best xoxoxoxo
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm a food addict....I also have OCD....my mentality is ALL or nothing!! I am on medication (which is only a tool) The rest is hard work unfortunately...food is like a drug for me, I've never been a big junk food person but ate too much of good food, plus I loved my wine! I decided to set myself challenge for 12 weeks, no alcohol or processed foods, all clean eating, I haven't binged for 9 weeks....ive realized I need specific goals, I'm already planning my next challenge after having a week off at the end of this one....sometimes facing your fears is the best remedy, you have to take a leap of faith
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater, I was diagnosed years ago in high school.

I know this is probably something you don't want to hear, but you will never get rid of it. You are on the right track though, you do need to see a Dr. so they can give you the tools to control it.

I was put on antidepressents for awhile but they made me to complacent and I didn't like that.

It is a war everyday and some days I win and some days I lose, now that I am older I am able to look at the situation clearer and can use other tactics to keep me from my old ways.

As you can see, the win days have been more frequent than the losses lately.

If you ever need to vent feel free to friend me, I know what you are dealing with on a daily basis.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you are not overweight, why do you think you have a problem?
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. Darn near the same weight too. I haven't conquered it, but I've looked closely at what is causing the binges and that has helped. It's a lot of emotion based eating. As soon as a craving hits me I try to occupy myself with something else, especially because sitting on the couch watching tv seems to stimulate those cravings. Try to occupy your mind and your hands and it does seem to help. Oh also in the past I've been on Welbutrin which did wonders for me with the emotional eating, no real clue why, but it helped.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Speaking of binge eating lol I am an emotional binge eater!!! The last week has been crazy for me. Everyday I have binged and I have felt like crap physicaly from it so getting my workouts in have not happened. My thoughts on why this is happening. My Dr. and I decided that it was time for me to stop taking celexa. I was taking it for anxiety. We also started me on metformin because I am having issues with sugar. I had forgotten how easy it is for me to start doing this again. I need to be aware and make a better effort not too. We increased my welbutrin which I truly think has helped me. I am considering going to a therapist again to help me deal with current issue's I am having. I went to one before and it realy helped me overcome a cycle I had been in. Sorry just ranting!!!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options

What an ignorant question. Do some research and you'll see that you do not need to be overweight to have this disorder.
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am definatly an emotioanl eater, I eat when I'm happy,sad, angry, you name it. Since joining the website I feel that I have really tried to stop this, but the feelings are still there, and I am also trying to start seeing a counselor to help with this. It is a hard thing becasue most things in life seem to revelove around eating.

You are taking the first step to getting help and that is great!! Good for you!! It is allo about taking one step at a time, and we are here to help. Let me know if there is anything I can do, even it is just to vent to me instead of eating. Friend me if it will help!!!

Good luck you can do it!!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I can go days and weeks without a binge and then BAM! Anything carby and sugary and fatty is thrown down my neck. And it's not even the fact that I do it that bothers me (though it does bother me) it's the fact that I don't feel I've any control over it! I'm managing it better at the moment as I've pretty much cut out sugar (even fruit, though that's not permanent). But I reached breaking point again and so was definitely in the right frame of mind.

I've been referred for CBT - this hopefully will help me deal with the behaviour, but in no way will address any underlying 'causes'. However, considering I can't think of any emotional stuff that'd cause it, that may suit just fine.
  • sfphill
    sfphill Posts: 19
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed as a "binge" eater, but I know for sure I am an emotional one. It did help when I was put on antidepressants a few years ago, but I still have bad days. I had an episode just this past wednesday! I know how you feel though, I remember sitting with a box of Little Debbie Star Crunches, crying and eating....and just hating myself when the box was empty.

As someone else in this thread mentioned....it is a kind of an addiction also. The worst kind of addiction too! You have to eat to live, so when eating is an addiction, it's so much harder to deal with!

Good luck on the doctor's appt....and take it from me, it gets better and easier to deal with. Just take it a day at a time.

:flowerforyou:
    Sara
  • kristenporterkp
    kristenporterkp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too, am a binge eater! It's almost as if it happens when I start thinking about all the weight I want to lose, and the struggle getting there. ( 50 pounds) I start to feel that it's too much to handle, and I will never achieve it...then the next thing you know, I am binge eating! I also find that I want to eat "bad foods" (chocolate, pop, etc) when I start to feel stress. I run an in home daycare, in my basement...and when all the infants start crying at once, or something else goes wrong...I immediately want something to eat ! I had a bad night last night. While following fitness pal, I also started weight watchers on Tuesday. I definitely blew my points for the day yesterday. But, today is a new day.....and I will get back on track. I visit both the fitness pal website, and the weight watchers website each morning...to continue my motivation! I look to all of you for support! Together, we can all beat this binge eating!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    I do this too, although over the last couple of years, I don't do it as much as I used to. Good luck, and I commend you for seeking help. That's something I've never done, but I probably should have.
  • alymarphi
    alymarphi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater... I've never ben diagnosed with anything. I actually got on here today because I need some help. Im interested in anything that will stop the sugar cravings. I can't even buy any kind of junk food or the next thing I know ill just be eating a whole box of cookies or a box of donuts. I actually justify it by telling myself if I do eat the whole thing it will be gone and I can't have more later so it will end my prob. Im worse lately too, my husband started a new job on nights he is gone 13 hours aday than sleeps for 8... I feel like a single mom now im not used to it its hard + im looking for a job recently fired...

Any way im happy to see im not alone that othrs are just as frustrated aa I am with this. Maybe we can start a support group for they s
  • kittytompsett
    Options
    I've beat it, that and anorexia/ bulimia!!!

It's tough, it took me 2 years of therapy, meds and lots of support but I did it (I have lots of other MH issues as well so thinks took a bit longer with me)

A trip to the gp is a great starting place xx
  • maryhappy456
    maryhappy456 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey...
    yup, this is a tough issue. I struggle with the same thing (among other issues). I can remember one time, I had eaten nothing throughout the entire day...I got so hungry.
    I had a terrible binge. bread, pizza, chips, cookies, icing...
    honestly, it disgusts me to even talk about it.
    It's awesome that you're taking responsibility for it though! Since that binge, I haven't had one quite so bad...but it's still hard.
    best of luck.
  • alymarphi
    alymarphi Posts: 90 Member
    Options

What an ignorant question. Do some research and you'll see that you do not need to be overweight to have this disorder.

I agree that is such a rude _question!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm back!

I just went and saw my doctor, and honestly just admitting to her that I have a problem makes me feel like a weight has been lifted!

She gave me Wellbutrin and wants to see me again in 2 weeks to see how that is working out. She also set me up with counselling and I already got a call from him to set up an appointment. I start seeing him Tuesday evening. I am so happy I was taken seriously.

I feel a million times better right now! I turn 30 in October and getting healthy will be an amazing gift to myself but I know I'm a long way from it.