I have a question

Options
I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I just started my diet yesterday and I weighed in at 198lbs. I planned on only weighing myself once a week but I was just curious and stepped on the scale this morning and i'm 194lbs. Did I really lose 4 lbs. in one day? I know it's only 4lbs but it made me feel great! That would be awesome if I could lose 4lbs everyday :)

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your weight does fluctuate throughout the day. Make sure you weight yourself the same time every day (best option is right when you wake up, before you exercise or eat!)
  • nikiwithtwo
    Options
    It depends on when you weighed yourself as your weight actually changes all day long. Try to weigh yourself at the same time, mornings are best because it is more of a true weight. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have a fluctuation like that. However, if I do a random weigh in not on my usual day and it's a loss, I will check again the next day, if it's still the same, then I log it!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Water weight. People can have up to 5 pounds in water weight (I think it was 5 pounds....could be wrong though.)
  • purpledragon6785
    purpledragon6785 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My body does that - I "gained" 3 1/2 pounds from one day to the next once but on my official weigh in day, I was 1/2 a pound lighter than my last offical weigh in. I agree with mbcarreno08 - if you weigh yourself at the same time the next day (wearing the same thing) and your weight is the same as the previous day, log it as a loss!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    First make sure your scale is right by setting something with a definite weight on it. I use a 50 pound weight.

If it's correct then please know the following.

Your weight will fluctuate drastically through out the day depending on food and water intake.

You will drop weight rather quickly when you start off, especially if you are drinking a lot of water and cutting your sodium down. Most of the weight you drop fast is going to be water weight, not fat.

DO NOT expect to continue to lose weight fast. Do not expect more than 1 - 2 pounds a week. You'll only be setting yourself up for disappointment which can cause you to give up.

DO NOT be surprised if tomorrow you feel the need to weigh yourself again and you are back up to 198 because like I said if it's not a issue with your scale than its probably just water weight.

Do weigh yourself at the same time every time.

And do try not to weigh yourself every day. It's an emotional roller coaster that can be very discouraging.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that when I start dieting, I lose fast: water and built up in my digestive system comes off fast. Think how healthy your insides are getting! Then things slow down when it comes to really losing FAT. Ugh. So you may not continue at that rate, but don't let it discourage you. It's worth the work!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Be careful! You could be disappointed if you weigh yourself everyday and then only log the weight once a week (as you should do). The couple of times I have done this and got excited by a loss and then gone on to log my weight at the right time and been bitterly disappointed. If you can handle the mental torture then fine - but I can't!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It’s likely due to typically fluctuations in your body. The scale is a hard thing to resist for us all.
    Try this, keep your starting weight at 198lbs. If it’s really gone in a week, it will still say 194 and you can more confidently record that as your new weight. It may also be great motivation to work towards this week.

And, just to make sure you celebrate any and all your success, go ahead and take your measurements. On those days you hit a plateau, it’s nice to appreciate lost inches.

Best of luck
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My starting point was a weight fluctuation blip... (I had "gained" three pound in one day), so I "lost" 6 pound in the first 5 days or so on MFP, The weight did go back up a little and there has been a bit of a rollercoaster in fluctuations, but over time, a downward trend. Don't get discouraged if the scale slides back up a little, This is a process, so keep your eye on the longer term prize and not the daily fluctations. Even week to week is a bit of a challenge to compare, so I compare at month end where I was at the beginning of the month.

However, feel free to feel good when the weight fluctuation is in your favor :-)