Stupid boomerang weight!

Options
I'm under my calorie amount almost every day and yet my weight has been doing a bounce between 141-143 for the past 3 weeks. It's making me nutty.
No I don't exercise but I track my calories like a madwoman. I thought losing weight was a simple formula of calories in calories out. What gives?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food like a mad woman? how many calories you eating a day?
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Water retention could be a possibility. I don't know what conditions you weigh yourself under, but make sure you are weighing yourself under the same conditions each day/week at the same time. What is your TDEE? How many calories are you eating? We need more information.
  • janicekdavis484
    janicekdavis484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes! I weigh everything. My calorie count is 1400 and most days I'm 50-100 under.
  • janicekdavis484
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself the same way within an hour of time each morning. Wha's TDEE?
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    Yes! I weigh everything. My calorie count is 1400 and most days I'm 50-100 under.

How many calories are you eating under maintenance?
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Then you are either eating more than you think or burning less than you think. have you lost weight and have you adjusted your calorie intake to account for your new/current weight?
  • T0M_K
    Options

hmmm. total daily energy expenditure. its how many calories you burn in a day. if you don't know this, how did you determine how many calories to eat?
  • anthony150paolucci
    edited April 2016
    Options

Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (the amount of calories you burn in a day). You need to eat below this amount to be in a caloric deficit. You said you don't exercise. So I assume you are sedentary. You can use MyFitnessPal's recommended calorie intake using the calorie calculator and set yourself as sedentary to get the amount of calories you need.
  • janicekdavis484
    Options
    Thanks. I was losing weight. I just put my weight in and that I wanted to lose a pound a week and it came up with 1400. I haven't a clue what my maintenance is and I also haven't changed it now that I've lost weight. I'll check that. Thanks!
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try dropping your calories to 1200 then see if you start to lose again.
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You could be at a plateau. Keep going, it'll break.
  • mykepe
    mykepe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The body adapts to the low intake calorie consumption, you must workout or give to your body a challenge (reason) to start burning your fat.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    mykepe wrote: »
    The body adapts to the low intake calorie consumption, you must workout or give to your body a challenge (reason) to start burning your fat.

Wow I was just about to write the same thing!

You need to rev up your metabolism. It's adapted to 1400 calories/day to survive.
    I would add in a little exercise too. For long term success of keeping the weight off its undeniably that one needs to workout as well.
    Also when eating at a deficit it's good to actually fluctuate the deficit.
    For example: daily intake from Sunday to Saturday would be...
    1600-1400-1200-1400-1200-1400-1600
    This will hopefully prevent your body from adapting to an average intake of only 1400.
    Also if you don't like cardio get into strength training. More muscle more calories burned and metabolism increases.
    Good luck!!
  • pearception
    pearception Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I, too am a yo-yo dieter. Up and down up and down. Lost 30 pounds a year and a half ago and gained 35 back. Anyone feel free to add me. I am just about eating mostly clean and trying to get daily exercise. WE GOT THIS!