Curing anemia through food??

Options
Has anyone on here successfully managed to replenish their blood through nutrition?

Last year I was practically a walking corpse, I was missing 50% of my blood (due to health complications I'd rather not discuss) and I felt absolutely horrid.

Well, I'm not feeling THAT level of horrid, but I know by how I feel my blood is low, lower than healthy. I've lost my appetite, I haven't been able to eat for a few days now, always nauseous and light headed. I really want to avoid iron supplements because the constipation and the nausea.. but is it possible for me to eat enough iron from iron rich foods to help me? I don't eat liver and unfortunately that's the highest source of it from food :c

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Could you be low enough to receive a blood transfusion? You sadly may not get enough if you are so depleted but adding food cant harm either. But please see your gp for their opinions.

Organ meat is very high in iron. I can just about eat liver with a lovely onion gravy....I get the iron and I keep things moving down there.....

Spinach is also good.

In the uk we have a "tonic" you buy from a pharmacy that is high in iron as well....not sure on the constipation issues though...but pharmacy can help with maybe adding a softener etc.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I've never been able to get my iron stores up without supplementing. I eat iron rich foods as much as I reasonably can and cook in a cast iron skillet. But I still need the extra help. If iron usually makes you constipated and nauseous, try a different type. Some types of supplements bother me and others don't. It was trial and error to find a good one.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There are improved iron suppliments out now that are slow release, but are more expensive (I think it was $43 for 100 pills where I live, but remember that Canadian pills are more than US, so if you're in the US that might be cheaper). They do not cause as much constipation or need to be taken with vitamin C because it's slow release (vitamin C makes your body absorb iron FASTER, according to my doctor - so for a slow release pill it's not necessary). I used FeraMax 150. It was recommended to me to take it with food or before bed but told that it wouldn't cause as much stomach discomfort as other kinds.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely you'll ever be able to eat enough to increase your blood iron if it is significantly low (mildly low might be a different story). You need 18 mg a day just to maintain your current levels. And if the iron is from plant sources you need 3x that. And you need WAY more than that to replenish it in any kind of reasonable time frame. That's why doctors recommend pills.

Mollusks are higher in iron than beef liver. And I think chicken livers are higher than beef livers, so beef liver is not the only option. Any iron source is good for you at this point. Make a ground beef lasagna with spinach and iron fortified whole wheat noodles for example. Still more iron than a chicken pesto lasagna.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can recover through food alone. You have to take many times more than the RDA to replenish your stores. I have a fairly robust constitution and I tolerate my iron supplement pretty well. But you can try taking it the way I do and see if that helps. I take it with a full glass of water before breakfast, along with a vitamin C to help with the absorption. I wait a full twenty minutes to eat.

That being said, eating iron rich foods can't hurt.

Try iron fortified cereal in the morning.

I recommend this cool little fish every time I get a chance. http://www.luckyironfish.com/
  • jgnatca
    Options
    As an aside, I've been taking iron supplements that are several times higher than the RDA for a couple years now and I've only managed to nudge my iron in to the low side of normal. That's why I think you'll need the iron supplements (constipation and side effects be damned) to recover.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Lambs liver is also mild tasting...I cannot abide cow or pig liver.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Iron is best absorbed with vitamin C. Calcium can reduce iron absorption.

I did the supplement route (ok now) but I watch my intake. Keep in mind many MFP food entries will be lacking with some of the micronutrients. Some people don't enter everything.

Prepared cereals have lots of iron. Raisin bran, and Grapenuts have really good numbers.

Cooking in cast iron and using a Lucky Iron Fish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_iron_fish
    will help

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor recommend?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What has your Dr advised you to do? I would rely more on that than the advice of random strangers....
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My sister has been anemic for quite a while and she would have very heavy flow periods which would make it worse. The doctors just kept giving her iron pills which were not working. Two years ago it got so bad she was fainting alot. she was put on massive doses of iron and getting iron shots. One emergency department doctor finally sent her to an OBGYN and it was discovered she has a polyp on one ovary causing her to bleed like crazy. Once that was removed she stopped bleeding so much and her iron improved but she was still anemic and taking iron pills. She made it her mission to fix her anemia with food so she started eating a lot of iron rich foods (both animal and plant based sources ) and eating those foods with vitamin c rich foods to help with absorption. She is still technically, on iron pills but very very rarely takes them and her last two blood tests have shown her iron to be well within normal range for the first time in a lot of years. So yes, it is possible.
  • amandablair90
    amandablair90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the responses.

I don't actually have a doctor right now, I've only recently gotten health insurance for the first time (For those outside of the states, having any sort of medical problem with no insurance means debt if you're not insured) I am going to see a gyn about the hormone issues that got me to this point.

I will have to try Feramax (And I'm going to read up on this lucky iron fish!).. and probably see a doctor about my issues. Just in case a transfusion is in order. When I received one last year, I needed 4 units, and comparing how I feel now to then, I could probably use half that. They only got my hemoglobin count to the lowest in the safe range, and I guess last year I may not have taken enough iron or maybe for a long enough time to replenish better.

I've been recommended liquid iron from friends, anyone here have comments on that?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Floradix iron supplement to me is one of the best on the market and its plant based; does not cause constipation. You can buy it from Wholefoods or online. I take it when I am low on iron (non meat eating) and it works wonders. Only think make sure to brush your teeth afterwards as it stains your teeth.

I also eat a lot of chick peas, lentils. Guinness is also very rich in iron.
  • amandablair90
    Options
    My sister has been anemic for quite a while and she would have very heavy flow periods which would make it worse. The doctors just kept giving her iron pills which were not working. Two years ago it got so bad she was fainting alot. she was put on massive doses of iron and getting iron shots. One emergency department doctor finally sent her to an OBGYN and it was discovered she has a polyp on one ovary causing her to bleed like crazy. Once that was removed she stopped bleeding so much and her iron improved but she was still anemic and taking iron pills. She made it her mission to fix her anemia with food so she started eating a lot of iron rich foods (both animal and plant based sources ) and eating those foods with vitamin c rich foods to help with absorption. She is still technically, on iron pills but very very rarely takes them and her last two blood tests have shown her iron to be well within normal range for the first time in a lot of years. So yes, it is possible.

this sounds a lot like what my case is. It's something going on with my female stuff that gets me like this. I'm finally able to go have things checked out, it's great to hear about your sister coming out of that, it's tough experiencing those kinds of cycles, vicious and painful -- good on her!! I can sympathize on every level.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am vegan and my blood iron levels are on the high end of healthy per my check up about 2 months ago. I do not supplement iron either. I would try adding non-heme iron foods to your diet as animal sourced iron can lead to further health issues due to oxidization in the body. I find incorporating leafy greens and legumes the easiest way to consume high iron foods

source

Comparison of Iron Sources
    Food // Iron (mg/100 calories)

Spinach, cooked // 15.5
    Collard greens, cooked // 4.5
    Lentils, cooked //2.9
    Broccoli, cooked //1.9
    Chickpeas, cooked //1.8
    Sirloin steak, choice, broiled //0.9
    Hamburger, lean, broiled //0.8
    Chicken, breast roasted, no skin //0.6
    Pork chop, pan fried //0.4
    Flounder, baked //0.3
    Milk, skim //0.1

source

• amandablair90
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wonderful, thank you!

I'm really looking forward to being able to exercise again. Just sitting my resting heart rate is high, so I've decided that I will be seeing a doctor about this TODAY. Thanks for the advice on supplements and nutrition, guys. I'm sure that regardless of what the doctor does, I'll want to do my best to raise my iron levels. I'm thinking that I'm too low blood to do it on my own right now..

Again, thanks thanks thanks, I love this community so much!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @HealthierRayne I have seen that list before and it's failure is to mention how MUCH spinach you need to get to 15.5 mg. I just did a quick google nutrition search and steak has 16% RDA per 100g, and spinach 15%.

@amyrebeccah I haven't shown much imagination and I've only used my Lucky Iron Fish in my oatmeal, my rice, and my soup. I think I let it cook too long in my soup (interesting digestive troubles). The instructions ask that you boil the fish in with something acidic (I've used a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar). I don't see why it couldn't be used with pasta. I boil the fish for a while then I fish it out with tongs. After it cools a bit, I dry it off thoroughly so it does not rust.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have microcytic anaemia, ain't no amount of food of any type going to fix that. Talk to the Doctor about specifics, and about iron levels not just haemoglobin.