sodium

Options
I always seem to go over on my sodium for each day. What are the negative effects of too much sodium? Is it really that bad for you? How do you cut down on sodium??? I'm just really confused about what to do....

~Pam

Replies

• PammyB3130
    Options
    I always seem to go over on my sodium for each day. What are the negative effects of too much sodium? Is it really that bad for you? How do you cut down on sodium??? I'm just really confused about what to do....

~Pam
  • alereyes
    Options
    one of the things i know happens when you eat to much sodium is that you start retaining more water than needed so it might make you bloated.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Sodium's actually pretty bad in a lot of ways, but the one that most people, especially when you're trying to lose weight, really care about is that it makes you retain water, which makes weight loss harder, and can even cause gain.

Try to avoid canned foods, and go with fresh; make things yourself. If you can't, always try to read the labels and find the one with the least sodium per serving.

To combat the water retention, drink a lot of water. Sounds kind of backwards, but that's what you need to do; it causes your cells to release the water they're holding on to, and helps flush it all out. Try to get AT LEAST your 8 glasses a day.

Good luck, hope that helps a little. :smile:
  • PammyB3130
    Options
    Thanks that does help. I will make sure to get plenty of water in me and try to eat more fresh food!!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue so I just watched labels and I never add salt to anything. I find some days I am higher and others I am lower but when I average all the numbers, I am below 2400mg per day.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Im having such a hard time w/ sodium myself....I didn't even think I ate much of it because I never added salt or really craved it...but wow! one day I had almost 4000mg....omg that was the superbowl btw....bad ali, bad ali! lol

um I have done the same thanks to the advice here....drinking lots of water...fruits and veggies staying away from cheese and cold cuts too that seems to get me there....a lot!

I wish you luck....if you have high blood pressure it can be a big deal too...I dont' but I have it in my family so I'm going to really start to watch it!

best to you all!
    ALi