Healthy pizza?

Hey, can you hook me up with a good healthy pizza recepie? One that isn't too complicated, I don't really want to make my own crust or anything.

Replies

• mamakate2kh
    mamakate2kh Posts: 42 Member
    I do crust then a jar of salsa, cut up a green pepper and a white onion and then I put some shredded cooked chicken on top and then top it with Mexican cheese... Its pretty good and not too bad on calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    What is your definition of healthy? What macros are you short on?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited April 2016
    just don't drink alcohol with it you know you have a problem! hahah Jk I remember your other post. Just put all the veggies you like on it, lower the cheese amount a bit. Go with a thin crust, even whole wheat if possible, I'll use whole wheat tortillas sometimes. Usually an easy way to start
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hey, can you hook me up with a good healthy pizza recepie? One that isn't too complicated, I don't really want to make my own crust or anything.

I make my own crust (Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast - 1 step easy). But if you don't want to make your own crust, there must be some pre-made one that's not too bad. Flat-Outs are supposed to make good crusts.

My "healthy" pizza is sauce, 2% mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and veggies.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

I think how we're defining "healthy" here will matter. For instance, when I want pizza and have room for it in my calories, this is the one I reach for:

DiGiorno+Thin+and+Crispy+Pepperoni+Pizza.jpg

I add a handful of extra veggies on top and it works well in my calories and nutrition goals. But it obviously wouldn't work for everyone.

• plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm a fan of baby pizzas made with Thomas' light english muffins. They have a lot of fiber and it's easy to portion control. Some people make pizzas on whole wheat tortillas or flat outs. But I find faux crust that thin unsatisfying. English muffin, skim mozzarella, muir glen tomato sauce (it's the lowest in sodium I can find), fresh chopped mushrooms and green peppers, olives, and morningstar farms breakfast "sausage" links.

On the other hand, sometimes I just order a pizza on a whole wheat crust/frozen pizza and eat what I can calorically "afford," or have a pizza orgy and work my butt off the next day. Though I am a vegetarian so there's at least already vegetables on that thing.
  • just don't drink alcohol with it you know you have a problem! hahah Jk I remember your other post. Just put all the veggies you like on it, lower the cheese amount a bit. Go with a thin crust, even whole wheat if possible, I'll use whole wheat tortillas sometimes. Usually an easy way to start

But pizza and beer go so good together lmao
  • Hey, can you hook me up with a good healthy pizza recepie? One that isn't too complicated, I don't really want to make my own crust or anything.

I think how we're defining "healthy" here will matter. For instance, when I want pizza and have room for it in my calories, this is the one I reach for:

DiGiorno+Thin+and+Crispy+Pepperoni+Pizza.jpg

I add a handful of extra veggies on top and it works well in my calories and nutrition goals. But it obviously wouldn't work for everyone.

Ooo, I'm gonna look for that at the grocery store, thanks! My boyfriend and I usually get pizza on Fridays so I was looking for "healthier" options lol
  • Hornsby wrote: »

I don't really chart macros right now, I was really just looking for a lighter option
  • Hornsby wrote: »

I don't really chart macros right now, I was really just looking for a lighter option

I've tried doing Marcos before and I just can't get the right percentage, I'm usually pretty high in carbs, but I've been slowly trying to incorporate more protein into my diet
  • I meant macros lol the two words are so close
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    So OP - when you said "healthy" you were looking for something more calorie friendly?

A few options - the calorie density with pizza tends to come from a couple of culprits - crust, cheese, and meat toppings. So thinner crusts, easy on the cheese, add more veggies and less meat are one way to trim the calories. You can do this by making it at home, or looking for commercially available pizzas, the big delivery chains offer the ability to customize and several crust options as well.

Another option is that you could save up calories during the week for a pizza night with your boyfriend, a hundred or so calories less each day means you'd have 500 or so extra for Friday night pizza.

I eat pizza with the family about once a week, usually have beer or wine too. It didn't prohibit me from losing 30 lbs and currently maintaining that loss.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've used a low-cal tortilla as the crust, then just some sauce, veggies, & (a little) cheese.

Just bake until the cheese melts.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I've used a low-cal tortilla as the crust, then just some sauce, veggies, & (a little) cheese.

Just bake until the cheese melts.

For people who are looking for a light option, this is actually one of the best ways to do it. If you're willing to give up your wheat, you can use small white corn tortillas and lighten up the load even more. It's also important to look at the calories in the cheese you are using. You don't have to use mozzarella to make a pizza, but there are about 10 different mozzarellas options out there and some of them have half the fat and calories of the original.

There are of course wheat tortillas out there that are the medium sized ones and have only 60-80 calories each, whereas the originals have like 120. So that route helps cut off a lot of the calories.

So xmichaelyx has the right idea.

I wouldn't recommend "saving up calories" which was mentioned to you earlier. That isn't a good idea, especially if you're working out because you need those calories to power your body on a daily basis. People always say to save up calories because weight loss is only dependent on a 7-day-ish average, but your overall health and wellness is dependent on what you do to your body daily.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Ditch the cheese and add veggie toppings. Make sure to tell them not to drizzle any extra olive oil on top! Then you can add seasoning, parm, chili pepper, whatever from your table and you can eyeball how much parm goes on your pizza
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    Ditch the cheese and add veggie toppings. Make sure to tell them not to drizzle any extra olive oil on top! Then you can add seasoning, parm, chili pepper, whatever from your table and you can eyeball how much parm goes on your pizza

But, parmesan IS cheese (?) and it's pretty high calorie. I wouldn't eye-ball it.

OP- is looking for lower calories.....it's still possible to lower calories and still have something that resembles pizza.
  • sticky_town
    sticky_town Posts: 5 Member
    You can make an egg crust pizza http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2013/06/egg-crust-breakfast-pizza-pepperoni-olives.html?m=1

Or cauliflower crust pizza
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

But, parmesan IS cheese (?) and it's pretty high calorie. I wouldn't eye-ball it.

OP- is looking for lower calories.....it's still possible to lower calories and still have something that resembles pizza.

Yah I just mean ditch the mozzarella they put on it, if OP doesn't want to try to eyeball a lil bit of parm powder then she could always add s n p to it too. Hey, don't knock cheese-less pizza ya try it. I like all pizzas, cheese or no cheese. Tomato pies are delicious.
  • WinoGelato

This does not sound like pizza to me, with no mozzerella cheese. I know people eat all sorts of different kinds, but to me, the gooey cheese part is kind of what makes it pizza...
  • WinoGelato
    edited April 2016
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend "saving up calories" which was mentioned to you earlier. That isn't a good idea, especially if you're working out because you need those calories to power your body on a daily basis. People always say to save up calories because weight loss is only dependent on a 7-day-ish average, but your overall health and wellness is dependent on what you do to your body daily.

Depending on how low the OP's calorie goal is set at currently, I wouldn't think 100 cals less/day would have a significant impact on her overall health and wellness. If she's at a 1200 cal goal, I probably wouldn't recommend it, but if she's at 1500, then reducing by 100 cals M-F would give her 500 extra calories on Saturday for pizza.