Fruit

Options
I like fruit it's easier to eat at work. I eat a red pear for morning snack, pineapple for lunch, Apple for afternoon snack. I've read every article but no one can seem to agree if that is to much sugar a day. Does anyone know the answer ?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issues, nope. I don't worry about sugar intake.
  • easully
    easully Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I watch my sugar because a girl I use to work with lost 110lbs watching her sugar. She always said sugar turns to carbs carbs turn to fat lol. But this is all natural sugar. I was wondering if it was counted like bad sugar.
    Thank you for your reply
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    easully wrote: »
    I watch my sugar because a girl I use to work with lost 110lbs watching her sugar. She always said sugar turns to carbs carbs turn to fat lol. But this is all natural sugar. I was wondering if it was counted like bad sugar.
    Thank you for your reply

Not true, I lost 121 pounds having process sugar in my diet and now been maintaining for 18 months.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Your body breaks all sugars down into the same thing regardless on whether, or not they are processed.

Your coworker lost weight watching her sugar intake because there is a lot of sugar in a lot of things that add excess calories to whatever she was eating, and she put herself into a calorie deficit by keeping an eye on it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There's so much confusion. Limiting sugar is recommended to nudge you in the direction of eating more "whole" (real/natural) foods, but fruit (and dairy) contains sugar, and sugar is sugar whether it's added or naturally occurring. So if your sugar mainly comes from fruit and unflavored dairy, don't worry, unless you have medical reasons to avoid sugar. There is no such thing as bad or good sugar. Sugar is a carbohydrate. We get calories from fat, protein and carbohydrate. We need a certain amount of calories to live. But excess calories turn into fat. Weight loss is about taking in fewer calories than you expend.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    easully wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply

Sugar is a carb, but it only becomes fat if you eat more calories than you burn. Cutting sugar must have put her in a deficit, but it isn't necessary.
  • easully
    easully Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone and congrats on the weight loss. I've lost 65 but gained 20 back. Working on getting it off.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    There's so much confusion. Limiting sugar is recommended to nudge you in the direction of eating more "whole" (real/natural) foods, but fruit (and dairy) contains sugar, and sugar is sugar whether it's added or naturally occurring. So if your sugar mainly comes from fruit and unflavored dairy, don't worry, unless you have medical reasons to avoid sugar. There is no such thing as bad or good sugar. Sugar is a carbohydrate. We get calories from fat, protein and carbohydrate. We need a certain amount of calories to live. But excess calories turn into fat. Weight loss is about taking in fewer calories than you expend.

Is there a difference in swarming your body with a day worth of sugar at one time vs slowly through out the day?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been successfully maintaining my weight for the past five years, and I eat a LOT of fruit every day since it is a heathy in between meals snack .
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Is there a difference in swarming your body with a day worth of sugar at one time vs slowly through out the day?

Meal timing is less important than overall calorie intake and nutritional composition of diet. Some people do well on intermittent fasting (for instance one meal a day). Focus on slowly released carbs is usually recommended, unless when you are doing high intensity physical activity.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical issues, nope. I don't worry about sugar intake.

Agreed. I am T2Dm so I have to watch my carb intake, including carbs from fruit. It doesn't matter where the carbs come from, I just have to keep my total below a specified level. For everyone else, fruit is no issue as long as you count the calories.

I do feel most people would benefit more from eating whole fruit rather than fruit juice but that is another issue altogether.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

For the vast majority or people, no.
  • rowdycat2222
    rowdycat2222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruits are processed differently in your body than straight sugar from say, a cookie. If you'd like to see why, watch the documentary "Fed-Up". I say eat as much fruit as you like; it's the best option for maintaining those sweet cravings! Best of luck to ya! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruits are processed differently in your body than straight sugar from say, a cookie. If you'd like to see why, watch the documentary "Fed-Up". I say eat as much fruit as you like; it's the best option for maintaining those sweet cravings! Best of luck to ya! :)

No, no they're not and "Fed Up" is more of a mockumentary than documentary.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

That's semantics - the sugar is identical, but the fiber in the fruit slows down the absorbsion of the sugar, and the vitamins/minerals mitigate the effects form the sugar.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Really? The vast majority of people don't suffer sugar crash after consuming a large amount of carbs (like a whole day worth) in one sitting?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like to eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day (I usually eat more like 1-2 in the winter). If I ate them all as a meal instead of throughout the day (and let's say hit my sugar goal), I would not have a sugar crash. Sugar crash has more to do with how well you react to sugar (i.e., how insulin sensitive), what you are doing (are you eating lots of sugar around exercise), and what you eat it with.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Really? The vast majority of people don't suffer sugar crash after consuming a large amount of carbs (like a whole day worth) in one sitting?
    Are you talking carbs from sugars, or just regular foods? I had a Dr Pepper at lunch, still going after that and that one bottle was one days worth of sugar. I didn't notice any difference afterwards. Not everyone's body reacts the same to things, there are a terrible amount of variables (age, weight, hormones, the moons alignment --jk on that last one). I have no study to back me up either way on it though it's possible there's one out there.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be worrying about getting too much sugar from fruit if I were the OP. I would be worrying whether I was getting enough protein and fat if all I had all day was fruit. Are you eating fat- and protein-packed breakfasts and dinners?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Track the fruit, add it up and see if you are over the sugar limit. Sugar is sugar--it doesn't matter if it comes from an orange or a cupcake.