7lb to go but want to eat everything

Options
i have been losing weight slowly now since april 10"so for the last 15months i have really tried hard i exercise 5 days a week which includes cardio machines, weights, swimming and cycling 3miles with my dog,i havent eaten chocolate at all and generally try and eat the right things, my trouble starts between 3-5 i just want to eat everything the minute i have eaten i am looking at what else i can have,i have lost 2 and a half stone and yet with just 7lb to go i feel like im going backwards.i desperately need some help im obviously now doing something wrong and dont want to undo all my hard work, does anyone have some good advice to get me back on the right road.

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice but I can sympathize. I'm at my last 10-15 lbs and I feel ravenously hungry all the time! I'm wondering if it's TOM-related...
  • LuvNikNak
    LuvNikNak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As boring as it sounds, drink two glasses of water before you eat each meal. when Im having a sugar attack I eat special K chocolate delight to curve those cravings. Hope it helps and keep up the good work :)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Do you drink water?? I dont see any water intake for today on your diary do you log it?? Sometimes we confuse our thirst for hunger I know I do try drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day if possible more that should help you tremendously!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    So I flipped through your diary the last couple of weeks, there is a trend of missing atleast one meal a day and being VERY far under your protein most days. Both of which account for the munchies. Increase your protein to atleast hit what MFP has recommended for you, it takes longer to digest and keeps you full longer, as well as stabalizes blood sugar. As you said youve been doing this awhile but have you ever tracked your sodium? once I have more then 1000-1500 a day I notice I crave more things, bad beverages and foods.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue every now and then. This week I have really been making a point to get my 8 glasses of water in every day, and it seems to have cut down on my cravings a ton! I've also noticed that I haven't had the normal day to day fluctuations in my weight that I usually have. It's just slowly but consistently going down!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    In order to do this right, you have to treat it like a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat chocolate - but log it. If you want something, eat it - just make sure to log it. If you go over calories because you ate something, go work it off. Deprivation leads to gorging on something. don't deprive yourself. Enjoy your life. The weight will come off (even if you allow yourself something "bad").

I will say, though, make it worth it! If you're going to "waste" calories on something like chocolate... make sure it's some good chocolate and not some cheap grainy crap. :laugh:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Also have you gone in and reset your goals. With your new weight. You are supposed to do this ever ten pounds. You should also have your goal set at about half a pound per week.

As you get really close to your goal, your body will hold onto your fat reserves more and more because it feels like it is running out. To make it feel like it isn't going to be starved you have to increase your calories. You can do this by changing your goal to .5# per week loss.

I did this and sometimes I will lose even more than half a pound.

This will also help you being less hungry.
  • Indy_mom
    Indy_mom Posts: 15
    Options
    It sounds like your doing a really good job, especially with the exercise. I know I get hungry right around the same time every day. I have put a bunch of healthy snacks handy for those moments, it's like I can't wait until dinner time. This week I have a big bowl of watermelon chunks in the office refrigerator, and it makes for a good low calorie snack. I actually eat chocolate almost every day. I love it, and just couldn't give it up. I think a lot of it is about portion control. If I eat something chocolate, I know it just takes away from what I can have the rest of the day but for me it's worth it. I don't want to feel like i'm punished for trying to lose weight, so it's like my little rewards to myself.

I've also read some other posts about hitting a plateau. People have suggested upping calories certain days, changing up your exercise routine, etc to trick your body. Not sure how well that works, but i've seen it mentioned a lot.

Good luck, I have a feeling those 7lbs will be gone soon :)
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In order to do this right, you have to treat it like a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat chocolate - but log it. If you want something, eat it - just make sure to log it. If you go over calories because you ate something, go work it off. Deprivation leads to gorging on something. don't deprive yourself. Enjoy your life. The weight will come off (even if you allow yourself something "bad").

I will say, though, make it worth it! If you're going to "waste" calories on something like chocolate... make sure it's some good chocolate and not some cheap grainy crap. :laugh:

You're soooo right about this. I tried denying myself sweets and treats, often it made it worse--if not always.

If you're like me and you can't just cut out the treats, work it into your food plan. On days you exercise, for instance, you have extra calories, so treat yourself to a little something. For example, I made homemade oreos over the weekend. It's about 130 calories/cookie. High? Sort of. But ridiculously delicious in every way and 100x better than store bought oreos or candy bars? Absolutely! I also have made homemade tootsie rolls with honey instead of sugar. Honey is counted for higher calories, but it's broken down simpler than any sugar, which means your body can use it and lose it quicker. I'm not saying gorge on honey, but you can use honey to help with the sweet tooth.

Maybe on Fridays you can select one good treat, like a slice of cheesecake, a donut, whatever for not eating junk all week. There's obviously a million ways to approach this, but life is meant to be enjoyed, and treats are part of that enjoyment.

The thing I agree with most about TS65's advice: whatever treat you choose, make sure it's the GOOD stuff!
  • kazza2108
    kazza2108 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wow im very grateful for all your comments and hints i certainly will re read them to make sure i get the most help possible,to be honest i dont miss chocolate at all as you can probably gather off my food diary, crisps are very much my downfall, also i do drink at least my 8 glasses of water but most of this is done in the morning whilst at the gym or out with dogs,thanks also for pointing out about my protein intake i have never looked that closely to realise i was failing to have enough.i certainly will be paying more attention,i hear all the time about eating food that keeps you fuller longer and the only ones i know are porridge and banana,i will be researching that to eat those at my bad times in future