Question for lifters.. experienced, helpful, tips only... please

Options
Hey - so I joined a 'gym' that provides classes that I go to at least 3-4 times a week for 45 minute fast paced lifting/plyo workouts. I have been going for about 4 months and have bumped up to the 'extreme' class in the last month which is more intense in weight/reps etc. which is what I like.

Sooo... getting my my point/question...

I really enjoy lifting heavy and these classes really kick my *kitten*.. but, I also want to lift at home and lift heavy when I can't make the classes due to scheduling issues... I worry that since I don't necessarily know what the workouts at class will be and do not want to double dip....

For example... if let's say I do a heavy leg day at home (squats, deadlifts, etc.) and the following day happens to incorporate a lot of legs in class....

This class has definitely been beneficial.. I've lost a few inches around my waist, hips.. a few lbs (not worried about weight).. and definitely becoming stronger...

Should I worry about double dipping? Should I pick one or the other (Class or home lifting)? I know my class workouts will be difficult if I'm already sore from a prior workout I did at home.... is it going to help or hurt my progress?

Thanks in advance!

-Katie

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Progress is as much about recovery time as workout time. If you workout too much you're flirting with (a) going too easy on your workout days because you're already hurting, and so you don't apply any stress to your muscles, or (b) being in a continuous state of breakdown because you're stressing the same areas too often.

So yeah, it has the potential to be an issue.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What is heavy?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    if you do heavy leg day at home one day and then go to class the next day and its leg day, you can go easy and make it an active recovery day. Class workouts are only as difficult as you make them, and its totally fine to skip exercises in class or turn a heavy movement into a yoga pose.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You can do leg day everyday if you want, though I wouldn't go heavy every day. Something like 50-60% of your your 1rm will not tax your nervous system. It also won't build much strength, but it will help you on form.

• kaybrose730
    kaybrose730 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you do heavy leg day at home one day and then go to class the next day and its leg day, you can go easy and make it an active recovery day. Class workouts are only as difficult as you make them, and its totally fine to skip exercises in class or turn a heavy movement into a yoga pose.

The class is not something I can really go easy on.. on say a leg day I would still be doing say 65+ lbs until burnout and he'll have us move into sprints, or core, or whatever the day entails.. that's the hard part. I can take it easy at home but the class does not allow you to take your time...

Thanks for the info though.. I appreciate it
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How many reps do you do at 65?
  • kaybrose730
    Options
    The class is very much like 'bootcamp' style which is fun.. so I guess what I need to do is not go overboard at home not knowing what the class brings...
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

The class is not something I can really go easy on.. on say a leg day I would still be doing say 65+ lbs until burnout and he'll have us move into sprints, or core, or whatever the day entails.. that's the hard part. I can take it easy at home but the class does not allow you to take your time...

What are you lifting at home for heavy lifts? Your gym workout doesn't seem to jive with heavy lifting goals.
  • kaybrose730
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    How many reps do you do at 65?

Depends on the day and what plan he has planned. One day I kept it easy at 65 and it was 3 reps squats, and with the same weight/bar into 3-4 reps overhead press, then drop down into however many reps for core, and 25 jumping jacks or sprints then start over.. do this set for 45 mins.. until class is over....
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    you could ask him the schedule in advance so your home workout is on the same program as the classes.
  • kaybrose730
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

What are you lifting at home for heavy lifts? Your gym workout doesn't seem to jive with heavy lifting goals.

Home could be 80-90lb squats... and not everyone heavy lifting goals are the same.. that's just me..
  • kaybrose730
    Options
    I don't think he knows the schedule ahead of time himself! hahahahaha
  • Hornsby
    Options
    So you can't do another rep after 3 at 65lbs? Earlier you said you did 65lbs till burn out.

What is your 1RM on squat?
  • kaybrose730
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So you can't do another rep after 3 at 65lbs? Earlier you said you did 65lbs till burn out.

What is your 1RM on squat?

I honestly haven't tried to figure out my 1RM.... I aim to lift as heavy as I can for 3-4 sets of about 8-10 reps when I workout at the house.

I didn't mean 1 rep at 65lbs is a burnout... we are kinda shying away from my original question..
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't think he knows the schedule ahead of time himself! hahahahaha

That sends up red flags to me. He must have some idea legs vs. arms at a minimum
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Not really. I am trying to see how intense your sessions are to determine if you should be lifting heavy at home. My gut says yes, you can lift heavy at home as your trainer sessions sound more like circuit training.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    if your trainer doesn't know the schedule ahead of time, and he wont let you go easy on days you need to go easy , and your goals are to be a heavy lifter... i'd recommend finding another trainer or class that has some structure
  • kaybrose730
    Options
    Makes sense, Hornsby.. thank you for your help...
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think the instructor should let you know or give you some idea of what the schedule is like if you ask him. Especially because you are lifting on your own and need to plan your workouts. I take bootcamp and strength and conditioning classes but I also lift on my own. So I know that Monday is upper and lower is Wednesday in S&C class so I just plan my schedule around it.

• kaybrose730
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I think the instructor should let you know or give you some idea of what the schedule is like if you ask him. Especially because you are lifting on your own and need to plan your workouts. I take bootcamp and strength and conditioning classes but I also lift on my own. So I know that Monday is upper and lower is Wednesday in S&C class so I just plan my schedule around it.

I think what needs to happen is I need to sit down with him and break it down what I am trying to accomplish and what it is I expect to get out of these classes or elsewhere. It's been fun and I have gained some muscle and lost a few troublesome inches.... maybe this isn't the class for me for the long run...