Long Distance Runners Training

Options
Hi! Any long distance runners on MFP?

I train for half marathons and have run two this past year (my third is April 17). I do pretty well with my long distance runs on the weekend, but I struggle running more than 5 miles on a week night after work.

How many nights a week do you run during the week? And does anyone else have the issue of getting distance on runs after a long day of work? Just wondering

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I've been distance running since '08. 5 marathons and 20 halfs over the yrs. Currently have around 9-10 marathons scheduled for this yr and and few ultra marathons. Also trying to run a BQ (3:05)

I usually run early mornings 4-6x/wk. Have you tried morning runs? If I run at night, It's usually speed stuff. 400s, 800s etc. And weekends are long runs and races.
  • valeriemarie1987
    valeriemarie1987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD I haven't done early runs. Good luck for the BQ! My best friend qualified after we ran the 2010 Marathon in Chicago. I'm not that fast, but I have cut my time every half. That's awesome you are running 9-10 marathons, after one I've stuck to halfs.

I get to work between 6-6:30 am. I have thought about it, but I get nervous running if it's too dark by myself. What time do you usually run? Also do you run inside or on the treadmill? (I hate the treadmill, but I can do it if need be)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @valeriemarie1987 That's great that you cut time every race! And thanks!
    Now I see why you run at night. I'd have to run at 2-5am! Depending on distance.
    I usually run around 5-9am. Earlier once the summer heat hits (Las Vegas). I mainly run on the roads and trails/mtns. But I do run on the TM sometimes. Love it for hard 1hr LT pace runs, 5k/10k tempos and even just a easy run. Good for building mental toughness.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    To directly answer your question, I run T W Th during the week, usually 3/5/4 then long run on Saturday.
  • valeriemarie1987
    valeriemarie1987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MikeAV8s ! It's good to hear other running schedules!