Options
    bezza666 wrote: »
    Replace pizza with omlette. Much healthier

But I want pizza not an omelette lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    • Lower calorie; restrict yourself to one or two slices
    • Lower carb; thinner crust. You may make one on a tortilla crust, for instance.
    • Lower fat, low fat cheese.

My very favourite pizza this week is one I made from scratch myself. I made the dough in my breadmaker, classic white bread dough (that took 1 1/2 hours). I slow roasted onion and garlic together for about ten minutes while I was waiting for the dough. I took half the dough and stretched, stretched it to fit in to my large cast iron frying pan. I brushed it with olive oil. I spread maybe 1/8 cup tomato sauce, and added fresh herbs from my windowsill. I thin sliced Hungarian sausage and bacon bits (meat on hand) and sprinkled it on top along with the onions and garlic. I covered all with thin sliced low fat Swiss cheese (because this is what I had on hand. I baked it at 400 degrees in my cast iron frying pan for twenty minutes until the crust was crispy and cheese bubbly. I got 1 1/2 slices and hubby devoured the rest. A win.

I only needed half the dough for the pizza by the way. I used the rest to make croissant buns Hungarian style.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    bezza666 wrote: »
    Replace pizza with omlette. Much healthier

And we have a winner!

I'm also replacing ice cream with mashed potatoes
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I find pizza I make at home not that high cal and eat it reg. crust is 2.5 cups of flour, a package of yeast and one cup of warm water and a teaspoon of salt mix kneed and let rise. pat out add low sodium tomato sauce, oregano, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese ( don't go crazy on the mozzarella) bake at 425 degrees about 10-15 minutes depending on pan and your oven.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just get my take out pizza thin crust, light cheese, and a lot of veggies. I also eat pizza on the days I have Zumba so I can eat more.:smiley: Faux pizzas make me sad.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    Ditch the cheese and add veggie toppings. Make sure to tell them not to drizzle any extra olive oil on top! Then you can add seasoning, parm, chili pepper, whatever from your table and you can eyeball how much parm goes on your pizza

This does not sound like pizza to me, with no mozzerella cheese. I know people eat all sorts of different kinds, but to me, the gooey cheese part is kind of what makes it pizza...

I really like the flavor of sweet pizza sauce and Italian herbs on a pizza dough. Often times pizza can have flavorless cheese (or places actually put on too much cheese and it ends up having grease pockets yuck) if you go with plain ol shredded moz

Another good one, OP, is margarita pizzas. Those tend to be a little easier on the cals from what I've seen :) you don't get over saturation with cheese

Also I'm from Chicago, home of the deep dish and the lesser known cracker crust pizzas... Lemme tell ya I have had a LOTS of pizzas lol.

• katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use naan (about 300 calories) for the crust, 2 T of jar pizza sauce, 7 or 8 slices of reduced fat pepperoni cut into quarters, all the mushrooms, pepper slices, chopped onion and fresh tomato bits I can keep on top of the naan and 1 1/2 or 2 ounces of mozzarella, preferably finely shredded so I can spread it all over. Comes in under 600 calories and is very satisfying. My husband really likes it, too.
  • youngandaspiringxo
    youngandaspiringxo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower crust pizza!pn1z99ca6gdu.png
  • youngandaspiringxo
    youngandaspiringxo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you're ever feeling motivated to make your own :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Udi's gluten-free plain tortillas make perfect little mini pizzas, especially if you're looking for a GF option. They're only 90 calories. I keep them in the freezer and don't thaw before baking. Add sauce, toppings and a small amount of cheese. Fresh mozzarella or feta are my favorites. Very yummy and fairly light.

BTW, I believe adding a ton of meat toppings and equivalent cheese to a pizza is an American anomaly. If you've ever had real Italian pizza (in Italy) there really aren't a lot of toppings or much cheese either. Whoever came up with stuffing cheese in the pizza crust on top of everything else is part of the obesity machine.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've heard of pizza crusts made with cauliflower (and have seen them on Pinterest). I don't know how to go about making them. That would solve the bread issue.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Pizza is one of my food hills to die on. I won't take any substitutes for it. Fridays are religiously pizza night. All hail Pizza. I sacrifice my calories banked to you, oh Lord.

Making my own dough takes approximately 20 minutes of effort every two weeks (I freeze it).
    BTW, I believe adding a ton of meat toppings and equivalent cheese to a pizza is an American anomaly. If you've ever had real Italian pizza (in Italy) there really aren't a lot of toppings or much cheese either. Whoever came up with stuffing cheese in the pizza crust on top of everything else is part of the obesity machine.

Basically. The first time I saw a real Italian pizza, I was like "WTF, where are the toppings?!". Now I make my pizzas like that and love them that way. A pizza doesn't have to be dripping in grease to be good.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Pizza is one of my food hills to die on. I won't take any substitutes for it. Fridays are religiously pizza night. All hail Pizza. I sacrifice my calories banked to you, oh Lord.

Making my own dough takes approximately 20 minutes of effort every two weeks (I freeze it).

Basically. The first time I saw a real Italian pizza, I was like "WTF, where are the toppings?!". Now I make my pizzas like that and love them that way. A pizza doesn't have to be dripping in grease to be good.

If you're saying authentic pizza is "healthy" you're going to break the forums
  • glnblnd
    glnblnd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Really wish I could eat pizza! I have no self control. There is no eating just a piece or 2 for me haha.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »

Exactly!!!
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    glnblnd wrote: »
    Really wish I could eat pizza! I have no self control. There is no eating just a piece or 2 for me haha.
    Yeah, same here..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So, no pizza forever?

Maintenance will include pizza for me, so I need to figure out portions and portion control. I typically have a salad with my pizza, so I don't feel the need for seconds or thirds.
  • glnblnd
    glnblnd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

So, no pizza forever?

Maintenance will include pizza for me, so I need to figure out portions and portion control. I typically have a salad with my pizza, so I don't feel the need for seconds or thirds.

Pizza will be allowed once in awhile when I get to into more maintenance