5 weeks, some results but frustrating

Options
I gained 35 pounds since Fall 2010. I was in great shape then but the cycle that I get stuck in is that every time I get near my goal weight I still think I'm fat which triggers the weight gain again. I've been trying to get the weight back off since January. At least I managed to stop the gaining. July 6th I started using MFP in earnest and I added daily exercise of about 45 minutes to an hour. I haven't been over my MFP daily calorie count. The good thing is that I now fit into some clothes I couldn't wear in January. The frustrating part is that I've only lost about 3 pounds. I know that's better than nothing but it's hard to keep motivated especially when MFP says 'if each day is like today then in 5 weeks you'll weigh blah, blah blah' and I've gotten no where close to their number.

Replies

• CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What I would do is hide the scale, work towards a certain pant size or body fat percentage instead. Much easier to judge how healthy one is by how one feels and looks rather than a certain number on the scale :) this article was comforting to me, I hope it can help you feel better as well. You and anyone can add me too, I love giving support :)http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/39609375456/eatclean-getfit-is-the-number-on-the-scales
    Edited for spelling errors haha
  • Chaotisphere
    Options
    If you've only lost 3 lbs but now you suddenly fit much better into clothes, it's likely you lost some inches as well. Especially if you've added that much exercise into your routines. Perhaps that would account for more of the overall benefit in question? Maybe take measurements alongside your weigh ins.\

This is also something a lot of MFPers tout. The scale can be your friend if you're level-headed about it, but most of the time it's our biggest enemy, and the biggest de-motivator we have.
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    every time I get near my goal weight I still think I'm fat which triggers the weight gain again.

Good on you for realizing this! I go through the same thing but could never have worded it so succinctly.
    I think the trick must be to just hang on through these #@*^ stages where the scale doesnt budge to get to the stages where it does follow the laws of physics.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Like chaotisphere said... u shud take measurements instead of looking at the scale..for example this week i lost only half a pound but i lost 2 INCHES! idk about you but i love seeing my stomach shrink instead of seeing my wieght go down and still feeling like i look fat.

Take your measurements, DONT GIVE UP!, take your time! You already said yourself everythings feeling a lot more loose and your happy your not gaining your weight back. Just stay positive :)
  • fparadise109
    fparadise109 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. Although male, both my wife and I help motivate others and ask that others help to motivate.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That stupid "You'll weigh this in..." ugh. Liar. Ease up on the weighing, focus on measuring, and look for benchmarks - was the walk easier, didn't huff as much up that hill, I could do more jumping jacks, etc.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Guys, the OP posted in 2013.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Newhornist wrote: »
    I gained 35 pounds since Fall 2010. I was in great shape then but the cycle that I get stuck in is that every time I get near my goal weight I still think I'm fat which triggers the weight gain again. I've been trying to get the weight back off since January. At least I managed to stop the gaining. July 6th I started using MFP in earnest and I added daily exercise of about 45 minutes to an hour. I haven't been over my MFP daily calorie count. The good thing is that I now fit into some clothes I couldn't wear in January. The frustrating part is that I've only lost about 3 pounds. I know that's better than nothing but it's hard to keep motivated especially when MFP says 'if each day is like today then in 5 weeks you'll weigh blah, blah blah' and I've gotten no where close to their number.

I am restarting my weight loss journey too. 40 lbs from today. can I add you as a friend?
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You need to remember weight loss is not liniar. I hate that MFP does that, it puts high standards. Everyone loses weight differently.

I hit a bump in the road, i could not get out of the 140's and went month without losing a single pound. I actually fluctuated between 140-145 pounds. I just now finally hit 138. Im actually unsure when i actually dropped it all.. And many others im sure go through similiar problems.

The best thing to do is to take each day a step at a time. Don't dwell too much in the past and don't day dream of the future. You will lose weight, you will learn to keep it off. Its a big change and one that will take more than a couple months. You more than likely gained all your weight theoughout the year(s) so dont expect it to magically come off! Sometimes you need to slap sense into yourself. You can do it, so just do it. No excuses. You're doing just fine, take pictures, measure yourself and weigh in. It all helps.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Guys, the OP posted in 2013.

This^^^