Triathalon!

Options
ANy advice for training for a triathalon in about a month? It will be my first one and the running will kill me! I bike and swim almost daily but dioing all three together will be a challange... :smile:

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes! Practice brick sessions - cycling immediately followed by running - before the event. You won't BELIEVE how wobbly your legs are when you straight from one to another without the usual bring the bike home, lock it up, have a drink etc. before running!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Also wear your sports bra underneath your swimming costume/tri suit.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    As I am recovering from an overuse injury simply for a half-marathon, let me be the word of caution- can you already run a marathon, and swim the 2.+ miles and bike 100+ miles by themselves already? - I am presuming yes, but cheered on some friends last week at a triathlon and it would seem a lot of the participants were really strong in one area (mainly cycling) but not in others, let alone doing all three back to back to back ...

I know "they" say that these things are mostly mental, but my ankle still asks that I be the voiceof reason....
  • BerryH
    Options
    As I am recovering from an overuse injury simply for a half-marathon, let me be the word of caution- can you already run a marathon, and swim the 2.+ miles and bike 100+ miles by themselves already?
    Those are Ironman distances, sprint tris usually have just a 5K run and equivalent swims and cycles, and there are beginner tris even shorter than that :flowerforyou:
  • Merlesgirl
    Options
    I am a BIG fan of the try-a-tri distances (did my first one in May). It's only 300m swim, 12k bike, 3k run :) TOTALLY doable! Practice swimming outdoors if your swim is not in a pool. It is a really different experience.

Good luck!
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    A sprint tri or olympic distance is very doable, the only thing that i had to get used to was swimming in my tri suit cause i did trained for one without and it does make a slight differance. But most of all if its your first one go have some fun the people you meet a triathalon are amesome people.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Practice your transitions as part of your workouts and remember all your *kitten*. Then, just have fun!

The only big thing is if it's open water. Practice not panicking if you're kicked in the face or get splashed a lot. Trust me..
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do bricks and transitions. I personally worked everyday on bricks of either swim/bike or swim/run. I would swim every day because that was my weak point. If running is your weak place try to make sure you can get running into every day. Also practice doing this in what you would be wearing for the race. I think the thing that killed me on race day was having a wet butt on the bike seat....the inside of my legs ended up RAW!

Good LUCK!!