Help picking a training shoe?!

Options
So I bought some Nike Running Shoes from Zappos. They were tight and slid on heel but I gave them a shot on the nearby trail. Well they suck. The back is so low it slides off foot. The shoe itself is so tight it cuts off circulation. Well I can't send back since I wore outside. Waste of money.

So I went and bought a shoe from Walmart - they fit great - relaxed fit - feel great. But they have no cusion, no arch support, nothing - just $10 walmart athletic looking shoes. After walking for a couple weeks I fractured a bone in foot. Foot doctor said it was because of my shoes (and weight).

So now I am on the hunt again for a spacious shoe, feels relaxed, won't slip off back (high back), and looks good (I like to look stylin').

I was looking online again today but it's such a risk just picking a random shoe - don't want a repeat of the Nike one.

ANY BRANDS PEOPLE RECOMMEND?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do you have REI where you live? They'll take anything you buy from them back for any reason for a year. If you buy shoes and wear them outside, but don't like them, it's a full refund without questions or treating you poorly. There are some things where you just can't be sure if they'll work for you or not, shoes are a good example because they can feel great at the store but then when you get them on a trail or run in them, it can be wrong in ways you couldn't tell indoors. These things, I try to buy from places with generous return policies.

That said, I had a pair of Arc'teryx Acrux shoes that I loved. I've been using them for hiking where they excel, they breathe really well and grip like nobody's business. Nice when the trail goes over granite slabs and you're hiking on a rainy day. But please don't buy a pair on my recommendation without finding some locally to try on first.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I went to a actual running store, they had me take off my shoes and walk, then measured and had me try on shoes, walk around with them on to see what they were like. I found out what shoes best work for my feet as well for future purchases.
    I usually buy whatever is comfortable for me and within my budget. I've had Saucony, Nike, uhh can't remember that other one. I have a friend that loves Brook's shoes. It depends on you and what you're comfortable with, because it's your feet.
  • icklekimmy
    icklekimmy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I live in scotland but sure you will have similar type of running store as run4it here. They had me run on a treadmill barefoot and recorded it to do a gait analysis. My ankles turned inwards so much was actually quite shocked. The best for me was brooks ravena.
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you have a running store near you, you really should have your gait analyzed as the type of gait you have will steer you toward one type of shoe over another. Do you overpronate or underpronate? Are you more neutral? Do you need arch support? Do you have foot problems like plantar fascitis? How much are you willing to spend on a pair of running shoes? Are you looking to just go walking, or jog a bit too?

My experience has generally been you get what you pay for. Unless you're an avid runner, you don't need a $150 pair of running shoes but the $10 ones aren't going to give you a lot of support (as you've learned).

Me, for example, I have a neutral gait and I prefer a cushioning shoe as I have plantar fascitis. Nike shoes - any kind - do not offer me much support for walking and/or jogging. My go to brand for years has been Asics. I've tried Saucony, New Balance and Brooks but have always gone back to Asics. They have different models depending on your gait. My favorite used to be the GT 2000, but they changed it a couple of years ago and I now prefer the Nimbus line. The Kayano is also a very popular model but it's pricier (unless you find an older version; they are on 22 now but many stores have the 21 on sale). I also like Asics because they have a wider toe box than some of the other brands.

If you're worried about "looking good", well, I think Asics has some ugly color combinations, but I don't pick my shoes based on how they look.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nike Free 5.0 and crossfit nano 4
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ditto the recommendation to go to a running store where they can analyze your gait. Random recommendations aren't likely to do you any good since a shoe that's perfect for one person will be horribly wrong for another.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    So I went and bought a shoe from Walmart - they fit great - relaxed fit - feel great. But they have no cusion, no arch support, nothing

Kind of like the sandals they wear in third world countries.. where foot problems are rare. It sounds like the problem was your weight combined with doing too much too soon, not the shoes. Just saying. :+1:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    When I buy shoes from Zappos I walk around the house and up and down the stairs long enough to make sure they are going to work. Hasn't failed me yet.

I'm currently loving ASICS: Gel-Kahana® 7, which I wear hiking.

Sorry about the color options. ASICS discontinued the previous style I had and said this was the closest thing to it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Ditto the recommendation to go to a running store where they can analyze your gait. Random recommendations aren't likely to do you any good since a shoe that's perfect for one person will be horribly wrong for another.

^agreed.
  • ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Totally - I like the REI idea.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you just run, you need a running shoe.

If you train - that's a different motion, and you need not only a front to back support, like with running, but side to side padding, like for zumba or boot camp or machines. Your joints will not be protected otherwise.

Look for shoes called: cross trainers, trainers, crossfit, volleyball shoes, cheerleading shoes, zumba shoes, tennis shoes.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ravenna models were awesome to me, and they're designed with a wider foot in mind.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Go to a proper running store and get your gait checked
    they will match a shoe to your running/walking style, it makes so much of a difference
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I agree, get your gait checked at a sports supply store.

I love my ASICS. They design shoes specifically for heavy people, which most running shoe manufacturers do not. But which model you would need would depend on your pronation. It's not something you should buy without trying on for comfort and support.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Get a proper fitting at a proper store.
  • tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would go with what a lot of other people are saying and go to a specialty store. If you are looking for a running show, go to a running store. As a general opinion, I have wide feet and I find that New Balance has a nice line of both running and training shoes that allow a little extra room, are comfy and don't slip.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Even for experienced runners who know very well what they need in a shoe and how different brands/models tend to work for them, buying a new model/year of shoe online is a little gamble that works out sometimes and results in multiple returns other times.

Go to your friendly local running store to get fitted, and buy your first pair there. After that you can shop around online if you like.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Brooks and Asics, comfortable and made for a wider foot.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Asics are worth trying. Go to a store, try things on and walk around until you find something that feels right. Once you know exactly what brand and size works for you, then go back to Zappos. :)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to actually try shoes on and get good advice. Brooks shoes have been the best for me for a number of years, but that's meaningless for anyone else as we all have different feet and different issues.
    As you've already had some problems and injuries, you are probably going to have to be much more choosy with your shoes - I would never, ever buy random shoes online, no matter how good the reviews are, because until I put shoes on my feet I don't know how they will work for me.

I bought my first pair of Brooks from a running store for full price (about AUD$240), and the last two pairs have been the same size and model online, which saved me about AUD$70 each time. I think I will get fitted again for the next pair - I'll be four or so years older and already have different foot issues going on.