Vegetarian but hates tofu

2»

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Just remember that tofu is ultimately a bean-based product, so you don't have to like it! DH hates it.

Having said that, tofu chocolate pudding is just about the best thing on this planet. Mark Bittman's recipe is super-easy.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Don't stress too much over protein, you really don't need that much. But I love black beans, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, unsalted Unroasted cashews, peanut butter without added oil or salt, and I love baked tofu, try it again with a good recipe!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    Maybe you should try tofu a few more times before kicking it to the curb. It's very dynamic.

This. If you haven't tried it more than once, that is. I hated it the first time I tried it, but it was because of the way it was prepared.

And buy it from an Asian grocery, not your local big box grocery. The latter generally sells cardboard.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    She said she doesn't like tofu and ppl are trying to convince her to like it, LOL!

Beans, nuts, peanut butter, vegan protein powder.

I recently started cooking Black eyed peas with baby spinach or kale in my crockpot, so good!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    For tofu, I have had countless people say they cannot stand it...then when they come over for Sichuan they leave with recipes and a shopping list...so when sone says they don't like it I always wonder how they are cooking it....

Of course one can say the same about meat...
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Nevermind your own preferences, MFP people think your dislike of tofu is wrong so you must eat it! OP, have you tried just eating the thing you don't like? Clearly you don't like it because the way you eat it is "wrong".

I second lentils as an alternative option.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Well, vegan already, and I don't know if dairy or eggs are on the table. Knocking tofu just limits this diet even further. Getting enough protein IMO will be an issue without tofu.

That being said, I'm toying with a vegetarian version of Shepherds Pie, using black beans, buckwheat, mushrooms and chickpeas instead of ground beef. I'd also add a couple tablespoons whey to the mashed potatoes.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Eggs, cheese, yogurt, beans, lentils, seitan, grains, nuts, seeds, etc. A lot of vegetables have a decent amount of protein. It's not difficult to get enough protein as a vegetarian without tofu or other soy based products, especially if you eat dairy. If you Google high protein vegetarian recipes or foods, you'll get plenty of guidance and see where you can make modifications/swaps to what you're currently eating to get more protein.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Mentali wrote: »
    Nevermind your own preferences, MFP people think your dislike of tofu is wrong so you must eat it! OP, have you tried just eating the thing you don't like? Clearly you don't like it because the way you eat it is "wrong".

Nah it's only because some people just may have only had Tofu in a parto
  • MinmoInk
    edited April 2016

Nah, it's only because some people just may have only had tofu prepared in a way that didn't compliment the taste and texture of it.

For instance I hated capers for a long time growing up, but adding them to a salad I find them tasty. The point is some people here, me included, were telling OP to give it a chance because it's a very dynamic food. It can be had a number of ways and quite possibly OP didn't know that or didn't explore different dishes with it.

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member

Nah, it's only because some people just may have only had tofu prepared in a way that didn't compliment the taste and texture of it.

For instance I hated capers for a long time growing up, but adding them to a salad I find them tasty. The point is some people here, me included, were telling OP to give it a chance because it's a very dynamic food. It can be had a number of ways and quite possibly OP didn't know that or didn't explore different dishes with it.

Did she say she didn't give it a chance before decided she didn't like it? Fully half this thread is suggestions on how to eat tofu instead of accepting that she doesn't like it. As someone who has this regularly happen to her ("You don't like ____? I like it, it must just be that you didn't try it the right way" followed by many suggestions on how to eat/watch/listen to something I just told them I don't like), it's super annoying.
  • MinmoInk

Did she say she didn't give it a chance before decided she didn't like it? Fully half this thread is suggestions on how to eat tofu instead of accepting that she doesn't like it. As someone who has this regularly happen to her ("You don't like ____? I like it, it must just be that you didn't try it the right way" followed by many suggestions on how to eat/watch/listen to something I just told them I don't like), it's super annoying.

No she didn't tell us :) so we can only go off how much she's typed.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Lots of hits of you do an Internet search, here is one http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
  • sunnybeaches105

Not so much. Its just that most tofu in the US tastes like *kitten*. My theory is that it was introduced here by hippies who have dead taste buds. If the only version you ever eat of a type of food is the worst kind then you may be missing out on something good. I'm definitely not saying it's for everyone.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Seitan is amazing. I'm not sure I could prepare it myself (I rarely see it in stores, anyway).

And I'm iffy on the tofu. It needs to be prepared really right. I like it very dry, firm, marinated and baked (Thug Kitchen has great directions).

Otherwise, what everyone else says. I try not to get too hung up on protein. But you still need it to a point. I also need more calcium, and since I eat very, very little dairy (occasional butter or cheese. Even more rare ice cream), I have found that soy yogurt has a fair amount. Of course, then there's those who say to be careful about how much soy you take in.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Beans! Beans mixed with corn especially.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member

Problem with tofu is that if you don't know how to cook it it can be crap and this is coming from some one who likes tofu. For that matter, so can chicken breast (the tofu of the meat world...no taste, easy to screw up)...

I'd also say look at all the different types if tofu..,our kids love dessert tofu which is silken tofu flavoured with mango, almost,Mateo, vanilla...nothing like pressed tofu, more like a nice sweet pudding. Fried tofu is airy and crispy (less so if bought pre fried...but still puffy). How your eating it makes a difference too...best recommendation is to cook it as the Japanese or Chinese do...not trying to make it pretend to be "western
    " food.

In the end no one is forcing tofu on anyone...but many of us have seen comments like this before (my parents for one) and had to teach them how to cook it....
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member

Not so much. Its just that most tofu in the US tastes like *kitten*. My theory is that it was introduced here by hippies who have dead taste buds. If the only version you ever eat of a type of food is the worst kind then you may be missing out on something good. I'm definitely not saying it's for everyone.

I'm really glad I clicked Quote. Love ya, Beach!
  • sunnybeaches105

You don't like *kitten* do you? No cuddling up to big warm furry *kitten*? Poor little *kitten*. What?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member

You don't like *kitten* do you? No cuddling up to big warm furry *kitten*? Poor little *kitten*. What?

LOL! If it's furry, I think we need to change your diet. Yer eatin' that hippie tofu.