Tofu - what to do with it?

Options
13»

Replies

• chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    cut it into squares and then fry them, sells well with the vegetarians at a friends takeaway :) as to what sauce, upto you, try mixing some tomato ketchup, vinegar and sugar to make some homemade sweet and sour
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I actually like eating tofu cold out of the packet with a drizzle of ponzu sauce and some furikake seasoning or basically seaweed, sesame, and bonito flakes.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    YouTube it. Hopefully you bought hard tofu

hard tofu, that was my nickname in high school
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Sorry... When I read your thread title, "put it in the bin" came to mind. Tofu is one thing you couldn't pay me to eat

^^ditto this. It makes me gag, I have tried to like it, believe me.
    Too few calories to waste them on this....................that goes for kale too.

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It makes a good substitute for ricotta in lasagna. I made it for dinner guests that were vegan and they liked it.
  • jaz312
    jaz312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Marinade the hell out of it. I love tofu, but it shouldnt be touched without a mass amount of flavouring! If starting out, by the ready-made marinated tofu and just chuck it in a pan and fry it up a bit till its a bit crispy and the marinade has turned all thick and sticky. Its delicious. Once you get past the texture you'll love it.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've heard of tofu being used in smoothies (probably the silken variety for that). Isn't it used in some Asian cooking?
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different tofus....each have their own uses.

Right now in the fridge we have:
    Silken tofu - sliced and served with edamame and dressed with diluted soy sauce and sesame
    Silken tofu desserts - mango and taro flavours
    Extra firm - used with Sichuan boiled fish and or with veggies....intend to fry in a non stick pan and tpjust before finishing sprinkl fish sauce...crunch and salty...yum
    Egg tofu - rounds that I fry up for the kids...they love it
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    as an asian kid always loves tofu, i'm laughing to tears....

simple one for snacks:
    slice into thin squares, bake/grill until surface very dry, dip in your fav sauce.

for dishes omg i don't know where to start!

If you've got enough calorie (and sodium) quota, asian supermarkets usually carry a MAPO tofu sauce. open the pack, pour sauce in pan, heat to boil, add tofu, some water if needed; simmer for 3-4 minutes, a few pieces of green onion and ready to serve. Goes well with rice.

• MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    CChen8520 wrote: »
    as an asian kid always loves tofu, i'm laughing to tears....

simple one for snacks:
    slice into thin squares, bake/grill until surface very dry, dip in your fav sauce.

for dishes omg i don't know where to start!

If you've got enough calorie (and sodium) quota, asian supermarkets usually carry a MAPO tofu sauce. open the pack, pour sauce in pan, heat to boil, add tofu, some water if needed; simmer for 3-4 minutes, a few pieces of green onion and ready to serve. Goes well with rice.

Mapo tofu is amazing
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - Cut tofu in cubes
    - Slice some veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onions, snap peas, whatever veggies you like)
    - 1/2 Cup soy sauce (regular or light)
    - 1/2 Cup vinegar (red wine or any kind)
    - Garlic powder, chilli powder, onion powder, pepper
    - Pour ALL of it in pan and stirfry... Yum
    - Eat plain or w rice or over steamed broccoli
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Scrambled Tofu
    -Smash tofu w a fork til it becomes crumbly
    -Fry onions and frozen green peas in a pan w olive oil or Pam spray
    -Add tofu, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and a bit of curry or turmeric to give it a nice yellow color
    - Add an egg (optional)
    - Serve w toast and ketchup/ hot sauce
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I pan fried some tofu with a bunch of different colored bell peppers and onions. It was really amazing.