body shape through weight loss

Options
Do you lose weight differently if you work out and diet instead of just dieting alone? I guess what I'm trying to ask is does your body get a different shape to it when you exercise to lose weight versus just losing the weight through cutting calories? If I reach my goal to be about 130 through calorie counting alone, how much of a difference would it make in the shape of my body to reach a goal weight of 130 if I exercise to get there?

Replies

• ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes. Exercising will change the shape of your body, lifting weights the most dramatically (in my opinion). My goal was to get back to pre baby weight of 155 pounds. I had 30 pounds to lose. I ended up losing about 33 but instead of being my previous size 9/10 I am now a size 6/7. My waist is smaller, all of my measurements are smaller. Maintaining muscle while losing weight is definitely the way to go.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes. When you weight lift, with a progressive overload, you maintain more lean body mass. You will look different toward closer to goal if you weight/resistance train. More defined/lean.