Ideas for giving steamed broccoli flavor?

Options
I do enjoy steamed broccoli, but I don't eat it enough because I can't seem to find good ways to give it flavor. I love spicy foods and I am a big fan of the sriracha hot chili sauce but I also like to keep my sodium in check. 240mg for a tablespoon just seems like too much. I also can't do butter on broccoli anymore. I ate it so much when I did low carb that I just can't anymore. Currently the only time I eat broccoli is raw and dipped in a ranch veggie dip.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar, that's the only way I eat broccoli.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Microplane some parmesan over top :)
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lemon! I also love to toss mine in olive oil, salt, and lemon before sauteeing or roasting. So, so good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I like to cook broccoli and cauliflower together, in broth (I use powdered for this/no salt).

Break it into bite-sized pieces, add enough water with bullion to cover. Add a squirt of fresh lemon, some cayenne pepper and cook until al dente. I do add salt and regular pepper to it, too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like salt and butter on mine.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    my mom steams broccoli with pickling spices. its amazzzinnggg.
  • imamyurdumb
    imamyurdumb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, try baking broccoli. A little sea salt and olive oil, It gets crispy and tender. So amazing, like a treat! I can't say what temp and how long but try 400 for 10+ minutes until browned slightly. Amazing. Works well with asparagus and green beans too!
  • babycatchfire
    babycatchfire Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like to top it off with some salsa verde and trader joes dragon sauce. I will honestly eat a whole bowl.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love my hot sauces too, but when I am trying to reduce sodium I like to use fresh jalapenos. I will steam them with my vegetables or grill them too. I also like to add cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper. That's a good way to add the heat without the extra sodium.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this but how about nutritional yeast? It's delicious on plenty of other things!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You don't need a tablespoon of hot sauce on a serving of broccoli. Probably not even 1/4 TEASPOON which would be less than 20mg of sodium. (1/12 of a tablespoon)
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Personally I like it roasted better than steamed. A little bit of oil and garlic. mmmm
  • GreenBananaAlmond
    GreenBananaAlmond Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try slicing it up and sautéing it with a tiny tiny bit of olive oil or vegetable broth and then squeezing Meyer lemon on it. Season with salt & pepper.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love sprinkling some Parmesan over it
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cayenne pepper on all the things!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Reduced sodium soy sauce.. delicious
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, a little spaghetti sauce, salad dressing.
  • another_chelle
    another_chelle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I second or third the roasting/baking of broccoli with olive oil, garlic and salt. Delicious!!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I love sprinkling some Parmesan over it

me too.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of sriracha is soooo much. You could probably season like a pound of broccoli with that much sriracha and still think it was a bit too hot.