VivoFit HR - calories on MFP seem low

Options
miaelliott143
miaelliott143 Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I have used a Fitbit charge HR for 15 months and was doing about 13000 steps a day with an MFP credit of around 400 cals per day (I lost 33 kgs last year using MFP and Fitbit and have maintained it for 7 months months). Since I got a VivoFit the cals seem low, today I did 13000 steps by 1pm and I have a 120 cal bonus. If I change it to count my phone's steps it is the same level as my old Fitbit adjustment.

Does anyone know why this may be the case? I have my MFP activity level set to sedentary.

Replies

• miaelliott143
    Options
    Anyone?
  • gmoo150
    gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you have a "VivoSmart HR" instead of a VivoFit?

If you do, there was a software update which changed the BMR in the VS-HR to "coma level" with no multiplier, and it has thrown MFP off. See the Garmin forums here -- https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php -- and look for the VivoSmart HR section under Health and Fitness for several discussions about this.

It made me crazy, so I switched calorie trackers to MyNetDiary, but there is a suggestion that if you turn off the "negative calories" adjustment in MFP, then it will work better. It still didn't do quite they way I wanted it to, so I changed trackers, but definitely worth a try.

If you, in fact, have a VivoFit, then I apologize for the length of this response. I couldn't find a VivoFit with the heart rate monitor in it, so made the assumption it might be the VivoSmart, but I didn't look carefully.

Anyway, even if it is a VivoFit, the Garmin Forums are always interesting and you might see if any questions you have are answered there.

Garmin devices are truly awesome -- I used a VivoActive before the VivoSmart HR, and I've preordered the VivoActive HR -- hope you get yours to work just the way you want it to.

Best of luck!
  • miaelliott143
    Options
    I do have the VivoSmart HR, thank you for your help!

I am not overly impressed with it but it cost $229 in Australia so I'm stuck with it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    my personal situation - I have a fitbit and a vivofit. I worked out that I probably get on average 300 more calories with the fitbit than my garmin. I reached my goal with the garmin and my weight barely changes, so I stuck with Garmin versus using fitbit numbers. I tested using the fitbit numbers and started gaining weight so I ended that experiment.