Ideas for giving steamed broccoli flavor?

Options

Replies

• schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I melt 2 tbsp of butter, mix in 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp onion powder, and then pour that sauce over the broccoli. Salt to taste.
  • catmoore64
    catmoore64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I normally eat broccoli as a soup. Once boiled, drain off all but enough water to barely cover the broccoli, then add 1=2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste and garlic or onion powder if desired, and puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular one). I put this in a mug and have it for lunch, snacks or even before my dinner meal. VERY low calories.
  • catmoore64
    catmoore64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    my mom steams broccoli with pickling spices. its amazzzinnggg.

Never heard of this, but sounds interesting! Will try it. Thanks for posting!
  • kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I hate broccoli, but here in Italy people eat them with olive oil, chili and garlic. Heat the pan with olive oil over medium-high heat, then add chopped chili peppers and chopped garlic cloves at will, souteing on a lower temperature (below the smoke point) for around 5 minutes until they start to brown. Then serve it over the steamed broccoli (leaving or removing the chopped chili and garlic from oil, at will).
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    With garlic, fresh mint and extra virgin olive oil
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Here's a good mix, you'll have to do the
    Math for a smaller batch, this is for 2 lbs of broccoli.

Cut up the broccoli and mix it in a bowl with: 1 T olive oil, 1/2 t ground coriander seeds, 1/2 cumin, 1 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 1/8 t chili powder.

Put the broccoli on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 min in a 425 oven, it will brown a bit around the edges. Turn it once. Then sprinkle with lemon juice and serve.

This is the broccoli half of a roasted broccoli with shrimp recipe. The shrimp half goes like this: combine 1 lb shrimp with 1 T oil, 1 t lemon zest, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper.

If you're doing the full recipe, roast the broccoli for 10 mins then add the shrimp for another 10 mins..
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle some ranch seasoning mix in :)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You don't need a tablespoon of hot sauce on a serving of broccoli.)
    Wimp ;)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    lemon pepper!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli with drizzled lemon juice and celery salt, yum
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Parmesan, salt and pepper, or just some table seasoning.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hot sesame oil, just a few drops.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Crumbled Feta cheese.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Garlic
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sautee it for just a few minutes with some EVOO, garlic, and ginger paste. Sprinkle some low sodium soy sauce on it and cover and let it steam until finished. Delicious, and it is still good for leftovers.
  • Rkelley90
    Rkelley90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't steam it, bake it. Toss in a cap of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic. 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you like spicey try some harissa (a little goes a long way!) or nutritional yeast for a zingy tangy taste.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Combination of cayenne pepper and garlic powder does the trick for me
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I also vote against steaming ANY vegetable - its just tasteless, wilted crap, IMHO!! Roast it to bring out the natural sugars - use garlic or some chili paste, or balsamic vinegar and oil, toss with sea salt or your favourite spices. You can roast any vegetable and it becomes a completely different texture and flavour - improved!!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. :) I will consider some the next time I eat broccoli.