Running with a dog

We've started taking our big dog (adult lab-dane mix) on runs with us, and he's doing really well. (Three miles at a slow pace early in the morning, a little shorter than his normal walks.) It's been a win-win situation -- he spends more quality time with us, and he's tired when we get back home so I get peace and quiet on days when I work from home.

If you run with your dog, what were the signs that he was ready to increase his mileage? What did you do that you wish you hadn't? What did you do that you're really glad you did?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Dogs are more efficient at running than humans are. Most likely, even a dog that is not in the best cardiovascular shape can run faster and longer than you can, so it's really about pushing yourself, the dog will be fine. If it's not fine, it will stop running.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Hardest part was teaching my dog "left" and "right". I take him on 5 mile runs and he could definitely keep going.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Hardest part was teaching my dog "left" and "right". I take him on 5 mile runs and he could definitely keep going.

LOL. I've taught my dog left from right too!!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Dogs are more efficient at running than humans are. Most likely, even a dog that is not in the best cardiovascular shape can run faster and longer than you can, so it's really about pushing yourself, the dog will be fine. If it's not fine, it will stop running.

This is probably true cardiovascular-wise, but much like a person a dog should never go from 0 to a ton of miles in a short amount of time. We humans will usually complain and slow down or stop but dogs will just push past pain without complaining. So build up slowly, the same way you would a human, would be my advice.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I used to take my dog running before she went blind. She always had a habit of tripping me up or stopping to do a poo when people were around!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    LOL! My dog knows left from right! I taught him when we started biking together - I'd just say the same things (pretty much standard biking language) every time we turned, or approached a stop sign, and he figured it out and started responding. I just thought he was a genius. Eh, who are we kidding? He's a genius.

My dog can probably run more than me and I don't worry about him anymore, but one thing I did when we were first starting out is do a route that was a loop - so we'd go back past our house every mile. As we passed the house, I watched his reaction. Mostly, he'd start toward the house, but if I tugged him back to the street, he'd seem cool with it, no loss of pace, even a brief increase in pace, as if he were THRILLED to keep going. If he was DONE, it showed - if I tugged him back toward the street, I swear he'd sigh, and kind of hang his head, and he'd keep going, but he'd turn back and look longingly at the house. That's how I knew he was ready to stop. I know it's silly, but it worked for us. I know some dogs will just stop when they're done (my other dog does, and jeez, whiplash) but my boy would keep going until he collapses, probably. I worried about pushing him so I liked giving him the chance to let me know when he was tired.

Also, I have one of those waist leash thingies - and it's a godsend. Probably a dumb thing, but it makes it much easier for me.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Also, I have one of those waist leash thingies - and it's a godsend.
    LOL Clearly your dog isn't as big as mine. I have visions of me getting sawed in half at the waist.

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    My dog is a german shepherd/husky mix - he's pretty danged strong! The leash has a bungee or something in it to keep him from being able to hurt me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My boss swears by this if you bike with your dog. Keeps the dog from pulling you over.
    5001001_m.png

I figure if you have an over-enthusiastic dog with not much training yet, take your dog to an off-leash area first to get it's wild oats out. When the dog is happy and panting, introduce it to running with you.

Dogs may be able to go like the energizer bunny, but they can get overheated easily. Have water with you and check for signs your dog may be flagging.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Well, looks like he's ready to increase his mileage already. He spent the afternoon trying to coax me into playing ball, so I'd say he was fully recovered from the morning run. :smiley:
  • drcrusher
    drcrusher Posts: 21 Member
    I have a shepherd mix who's only 4 but doesn't like running! I mean, she loves to sprint flat out for a block and then walk a while, then sprint again. But she's not at all interested in coming along for a 6mph jog!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    i used to run cross country with mine so they were off the lead - i didn't like it when they ran on the lead as I couldn't use my arms the way i liked to when running! Most useful command i taught them was 'back' so they kept behind me in situations where I needed them close but not close enough to put on the lead! Regularly walked 4-5 miles so running that was no problem for them until a few months ago when they just couldnt keep up. (both dogs are now 12)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    You say he's an adult, but exactly how old? Very large dogs like Danes don't mature physically until they're around two years old. Until that time you need to be careful of their joints. It's easy to overwork a still-physically-maturing dog and cause permanent joint damage. If he's over two then I think you're fine taking your cues from him. I'd avoid a lot of running on hard surfaces (bad for dog joints as well as human joints). Natural surfaces are better. And keep watch on his paw pads as you build up distance.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    I have a pure black lab who is 4 and he is the best running companion I could ask for. He has been there for all of my struggles and helps keep me going. He is also an infinite energy source. The longest run I've taken him on was 13 miles at a 9-10 minute pace. I was on the floor after and he wanted me to throw the ball.
    Also, I bought him a vest with pockets. He carries my water and a couple emergency supplies.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    We have a siberian husky- KNOWN for being long distance runners, but she's older. She definitely lets us know when she's hitting her limit. After about 3 miles she starts slowing down more and more. When the leash constantly has tension that tells me the run is over, time to walk the rest of the way home. Then she'll lay on top of the air conditioning vent for a while. :)
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Just dont feed or over water within a couple of hours before and after for bloat.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    I run 5-7k with my dog, mostly off the leash. Mentally I find it easier than running on my own. She's built for sprinting but trots beside me when she wants to take a breather from running on ahead of me, stopping to smell something and then sprinting to catch up with me.
    One run involves 2k on a road so she stays on a light lead I can carry in my pocket.
    We then run on a canal path so she can only go forwards or back and if I cant see her, she's at my heels. If we meet other dogs off the lead, I keep her free and vica versa.

I dont think a fit young lab/dane cross should have any problems doing three miles at a slow pace, except in hot weather. Some larger breeds including the great dane are prone to heart issues, cardiomyopathy being one, but since he's a cross that might be less likely in your case. A quick listen to his heart at the next vet visit should detect any heart issues.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I have a 6 month old fox hound/ boxer mix that I intend to make my running buddy when she is old enough. Right now she is still working on her leash skills. I talked to my vet about running with her and did some research on line, so I know that I need to wait until she is older before trying to take her on any runs that amount to any significant distance (due to the whole joint thing that was mentioned upthread). Right now we just do some unstructured bursts of running during our walks and she seems to run on the leash better than walking. But to get her started, it was suggested that I try her on a C25K program and I kind of like that idea. I think I will begin that soon.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    I run with my german shorthaired pointer. I actually got him for the purpose of running with me. You need to be careful with certain breeds. Especially, larger breeds. They most definitely can increase faster than we do. I follow the 10 percent increase rule per week for myself, so my dog is doing the same. I plan to continue to run with my dog up into marathon training. We will be running 12 together this Saturday. His line is built for distance running. Some good resources for running with dogs are canicross websites. Hydration is key when running with dogs, and ALWAYS limit food two hours before and after a run to prevent bloat. Especially if you have a deep chested breed like a great dane.