Where does it all go????

Options
This is kind of random (maybe kinda stupid) but here goes....
Sooo when you burn fat where does it go?? Does it evaporate or melt or what? I understand that buy eating less you put less fat into your body but when you start out with fat and you start shrinking where is it all going?!?! I like to know how things work so this is bugging me! Are there fat monsters inside you that eat it?! Do you poop it out or something!? Someone please help me :) I am being totally serious and i dont mean to offend anyone by saying poop

Replies

• daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "Body fat breaks down during a series of complex metabolic processes.

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body uses fat (triglycerides) for energy. This causes your fat cells to shrink. In turn, triglycerides are broken down into two different substances — glycerol and fatty acids — which are absorbed into your liver, kidneys and muscle tissue. From there, the glycerol and fatty acids are further broken down by chemical processes that ultimately produce energy for your body.

These activities generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature. The resulting waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs. "

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327
  • AthennasMommy
    AthennasMommy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question! I was thinking the same thing yesterday lol
  • ironman1960
    Options

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body uses fat (triglycerides) for energy. This causes your fat cells to shrink. In turn, triglycerides are broken down into two different substances — glycerol and fatty acids — which are absorbed into your liver, kidneys and muscle tissue. From there, the glycerol and fatty acids are further broken down by chemical processes that ultimately produce energy for your body.

These activities generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature. The resulting waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs. "

Well said. You know your Biology.
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    I was just going to ask this question!!!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Wow! Thanx!!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have always been interested in that!! I know I pee a lot when I am on a losing streak so I assumed that's when it happend. How about the Biggest Losers? When they have all that belly & butt, where the hell does that go in such short time??
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    HA.....I think we all have wondered that! I just always figured I had better be drinking more water...so I go to the bathroom more....and work out to sweat more....
    : )
  • Stephaner22
    Options
    also keep in mind that fat cells do not go away (unless you have some sort of fat removal process), they just shrink....
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    I have always been interested in that!! I know I pee a lot when I am on a losing streak so I assumed that's when it happend. How about the Biggest Losers? When they have all that belly & butt, where the hell does that go in such short time??

It goes the same place. What you do sometimes see when people lose a LOT of weight really fast (think...gastric bypass) is that the skin tends to be very loose as well and the skin's elasticity is not accomidating to rapid, rapid weight loss and needs to be removed. I know someone that had gastric bypass and now needs a surgery to remove the excess skin. However, slower weight loss methods (how the vast majority of people lose weight) allow the skin to adjust better.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good to know...thank you for asking the question and such GREAT answers. :-p
  • bwilcox30
    bwilcox30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fat cells are forever but you can shrink them....if you do not give them fuel they will not expand.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I looked that up a long time ago when I first started losing. It is interesting. And now I always know when I am losing because I will have a marathon day of peeing. Annoying to have to head to the bathroom so much but good to know you are moving in the right direction.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Thank you for all the answers!!! Its also nice to know that losing wieght gradually wont leave me with a ton of loose flabby skin hangin around :) I was afraid of it!