Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Body Fat Plateau. Help!

13»

Replies

• fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. I've had a feeling I haven't been eating enough, especially post workout.

I don't feel I look 25% body fat around my mid section. I must carry it lower body! 4w43unnjayys.jpeg

You really don't need to worry about weight loss if I'm being honest.

But I am technically skinny fat, right?

No, you are not technically skinny fat. You BF% is likely not 25% either. I concur that you look great. I would suggest find your maintenance calories (that may take a while) and eat at that and do some sort of weight training program. That will keep the muscle, build a little, and get rid of fat.

You are correct. Calliper test results are 22%

I'm going to bin those scales
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    Thank you for replying. I've had a feeling I haven't been eating enough, especially post workout.

I don't feel I look 25% body fat around my mid section. I must carry it lower body! 4w43unnjayys.jpeg

No, you are not technically skinny fat. You BF% is likely not 25% either. I concur that you look great. I would suggest find your maintenance calories (that may take a while) and eat at that and do some sort of weight training program. That will keep the muscle, build a little, and get rid of fat.

You are correct. Calliper test results are 22%

I'm going to bin those scales

My statement was based on comparing your picture to those ones out there that show the different body fat percentages. You looked too lean based on your picture for 25%, but not quite as lean as the 20% ones. 22% sounds more realistic.
  • fernadele313
    Yes, I certainly didn't feel 25% around my midsection. I personally wouldn't want to drop below 20%. Convenient for me because I doubt I have the discipline to do so!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Ditch the body fat scale, they are absolutely useless for someone that is athletic. The typically up the BF% for anyone less than the normal range. From my point of view, you look like you're somewhere in the 20-22% range. I recommend you work back into eating at maintenance, cut back on the cardio and get into a heavy lifting routine. You'll definitely start seeing muscle gains and as you put on more muscle, you'll lose more fat. Not sure why you would call yourself skinny fat as you already have good muscle definition. You just want to take it to the next level. A lot of women would kill for your physique.
  • fernadele313
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Ditch the body fat scale, they are absolutely useless for someone that is athletic. The typically up the BF% for anyone less than the normal range. From my point of view, you look like you're somewhere in the 20-22% range. I recommend you work back into eating at maintenance, cut back on the cardio and get into a heavy lifting routine. You'll definitely start seeing muscle gains and as you put on more muscle, you'll lose more fat. Not sure why you would call yourself skinny fat as you already have good muscle definition. You just want to take it to the next level. A lot of women would kill for your physique.

Thank you.

I've been eating at maintenance for a couple of days now and i can already feel the benefit of doing so. I'm starting a strength training program at gym soon. It's a little intimidating... But I can't stay in my comfort zone of HIIT and kettle bell workouts at home!
  • ilianhaf
    ilianhaf Posts: 1 Member

I have a similar Salter scale, and it's results are greatly off the mark. They show me about 54% body fat while in reality I am 25% (measured by a professional with callipers). So either get a real professional measurement, use a calucator or visually compare with a photo like the one below (I wouldn't give you more than 21-22% myself).

body-fat-percentage-chart-men-women.jpg
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I think you are missing the wood for the trees here.

If you are happy, feel strong, are capable, fit and confident and, to top it off, look great as well does it make one blind bit of difference what the actual number pans out to be? No.

Personally I think the deeper issue here is what the number represents in your mind on a subconscious level. I would suspect it relates to social acceptance.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    I do HIIT about 3 times a week. I'm joining gym soon and hoping strength training will help build muscle. Perhaps personal trainer can help look at my diet?

I'd save the money by not getting a personal trainer since you're already at point where you can stay like you're or start building muscle. I'd start the muscle building process if were you. I'd say good luck but you're already at a fantastic point. You just need to believe it yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member

Yeah, you look to be lower than that based on the pic. I'm guessing closer to 20%. What lifting program are you currently doing and what are the weight resistance numbers?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fernadele313
    msf74 wrote: »

If you are happy, feel strong, are capable, fit and confident and, to top it off, look great as well does it make one blind bit of difference what the actual number pans out to be? No.

Personally I think the deeper issue here is what the number represents in your mind on a subconscious level. I would suspect it relates to social acceptance.
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    I do HIIT about 3 times a week. I'm joining gym soon and hoping strength training will help build muscle. Perhaps personal trainer can help look at my diet?

I'd save the money by not getting a personal trainer since you're already at point where you can stay like you're or start building muscle. I'd start the muscle building process if were you. I'd say good luck but you're already at a fantastic point. You just need to believe it yourself.

I think there is a bit of both social acceptance and a lack of believing in myself. I have a history of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, although it is mainly related to my facial features. I'm wary of this becoming a new obsession...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

I think there is a bit of both social acceptance and a lack of believing in myself. I have a history of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, although it is mainly related to my facial features. I'm wary of this becoming a new obsession...

Makes sense. If you feel your BDD ramping up then re-assess the situation but you seem self aware so that's positive.

Perhaps try and move your goals from the way you look / your BF% to something more along the lines of what your body is capable of and what you are achieving - so how your lifts are progressing, how well you are mastering complex moves and so on. Your body, like mine, like any other human being is an utterly extraordinary piece of engineering and evolution. If you can find the beauty in it you can find some inner peace.

Good luck!
  • javiybrenda956
    javiybrenda956 Posts: 18 Member
    Strength training will definitely help tone and burn more calories should help you with your goal
  • fernadele313

Makes sense. If you feel your BDD ramping up then re-assess the situation but you seem self aware so that's positive.

Perhaps try and move your goals from the way you look / your BF% to something more along the lines of what your body is capable of and what you are achieving - so how your lifts are progressing, how well you are mastering complex moves and so on. Your body, like mine, like any other human being is an utterly extraordinary piece of engineering and evolution. If you can find the beauty in it you can find some inner peace.

Good luck!

Thank you. This is a much healthier mindset to adopt.
  • fernadele313
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Yeah, you look to be lower than that based on the pic. I'm guessing closer to 20%. What lifting program are you currently doing and what are the weight resistance numbers?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have first session with trainer this week. Do you recommend any good books or videos for beginners?
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member

I have first session with trainer this week. Do you recommend any good books or videos for beginners?

I loved stronglifts 5x5 as a women starting out. With a trainer that makes it even easier to make sure you have proper form.

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    First of all under no way you have 25% fat. I'd say around 20-21%. For me your body is perfect, but its up to you to define what you want. You want to be more skinny then go ahead. But I read in one of your post that you feel tired after workout and in deficit for so long. I'd say listen to your body. When you don't, an injury may occur and you don't want that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No. Just be inquisitive on why the trainer is giving you the exercises they are. I usually just put people through a basic workout so I can assess their strengths/weaknesses, then I end up designing a program based on how to achieve their goals from that assessment. A trainer SHOULDN'T have you doing anything crazy, unless you're someone who's already athletic or physically fit to attempt it. The goal is to stimulate muscles, not annihilate them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

No, you aren't even close. You're biggest problem is body dismorphia. You don't see yourself as everyone else does. Your body is pretty amazing
  • fernadele313

I loved stronglifts 5x5 as a women starting out. With a trainer that makes it even easier to make sure you have proper form.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No. Just be inquisitive on why the trainer is giving you the exercises they are. I usually just put people through a basic workout so I can assess their strengths/weaknesses, then I end up designing a program based on how to achieve their goals from that assessment. A trainer SHOULDN'T have you doing anything crazy, unless you're someone who's already athletic or physically fit to attempt it. The goal is to stimulate muscles, not annihilate them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you for the helpful advice
  • fernadele313
    First of all under no way you have 25% fat. I'd say around 20-21%. For me your body is perfect, but its up to you to define what you want. You want to be more skinny then go ahead. But I read in one of your post that you feel tired after workout and in deficit for so long. I'd say listen to your body. When you don't, an injury may occur and you don't want that.
    rybo wrote: »

No, you aren't even close. You're biggest problem is body dismorphia. You don't see yourself as everyone else does. Your body is pretty amazing

No I don't see my "perfect" or "amazing" at all! But thank you. I like to think my goals are realistic. I just want to accentuate the shape I already have, build the muscles in areas that will make me more curvy?