Chronic fatigue sufferer from NZ

jotrex23
jotrex23 Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi guys, I can see this is a really supportive family who generally all have one thing in common apart from being human: Weight.
I am new to the fitness pal and already I can see the motivation to lose weight and keep it off is easier this time, with it calculating everything, so no point trying to lie to myself!.
I have Chronic fatigue syndrome, so after being really active with work, children, home and random exercise, I am at a point of NOT being able to exercise really at all without making my muscles and joints more fatigued than they already were. Therefore gaining more weight, my usual life history, lost it a couple of times but it still finds me again, kind of like an annoying flatmate who just WON'T leave the house :-(

Replies

• jotrex23
    jotrex23 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I can see this is a really supportive family who generally all have one thing in common apart from being human: Weight.
    I am new to the fitness pal and already I can see the motivation to lose weight and keep it off is easier this time, with it calculating everything, so no point trying to lie to myself!.
    I have Chronic fatigue syndrome, so after being really active with work, children, home and random exercise, I am at a point of NOT being able to exercise really at all without making my muscles and joints more fatigued than they already were. Therefore gaining more weight, my usual life history, lost it a couple of times but it still finds me again, kind of like an annoying flatmate who just WON'T leave the house :-(
  • fairylady1962
    fairylady1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Hi There,
    I completely understand the fatigue as like you I have it to as well as Fibromyalgia and a few others. Its hard but you can do it. I think we all understand the losing and gaining it again scenario and being unable to exercise much if at all makes it a little harder but diet is 80% of the whole losing weight thing so you can lose without exercise. Its great that you have joined and logging everything is great, even if you have a bad week you can look back and see where you might have gone astray. Do log EVERYTHING though. You can do it Good luck
  • jotrex23
    Thanks for your message, it was very supportive and understanding!!! :-)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    There are many of us here who have issues similar to yourself. You sound to be living an active life to start with, active job and family nothing like sedentary. I know many say exercise is essential for weight loss but many manage it without, if their bodies are working well using calorie restriction or portion control. I know there is a fibro group and a thyroid group. the ones I know of are quiet at the moment but the first pages give links interesting information, there are probably some more groups as well. I hope you are being supported by your health professionals particularly because many symptoms seem to cross reference. If you have a suppressed metabolism restricting intake can suppress it further. You may need to optimise your nutrition making more of your protein, fats and carbs with little added sugar. Processed foods tend to add sugars in the most surprising places. It would probably help you to take the children along with you on the changes you make in your own eating plans, try to encouraging them towards fruit rather than other snacks, not least so you are not subject to temptation too.

All the very best, I hope this is the time when everything comes together and it stays away for good.
  • jotrex23
    Thanks for your support! , As for work I have not really been able to go at all or very little in the last 5.5 months and don't know when I will be back properly, the boss is very understanding. She had it herself years ago, so has purposely given me the next month or so off to try to get my "Transmission" (as I like to call it), back to my normal, but may take longer of course, which she might be wondering about.
    My 2nd time I've had ME, I know lots of people have it non stop most of their lives and my heart truly goes out to them!. I am still really quite restricted with the all over fatigue, muscle and joint pain and only try to do daily jobs what's needed which some days still can be heaps depending on necessity. I am trying to work out a great food plan and carry on with taking the dog for his much needed exercise every day or so when possible and hope to be doing aqua jogging asap.
    :-)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    One thing I have read in relation to hypothyroid and exercise is that sometimes it can be counter productive to start exercising too soon. The idea of anything in water is a brilliant one because is supported though jogging may be intensive to start with. I still think finding a more specific group may be your best way forward. Take care
  • SarahJP20
    SarahJP20 Posts: 6 Member
    I suffer with arthritis and am gradually losing weight. Had always worked on my food intake and exercise 50:50 but now realise, due to pain and fatigue, that I've got to be stricter with my food intake and not rely so much on exercise to drop the weight. Takes a lot of will power and diversion activities!
  • mariposawisdom
    mariposawisdom Posts: 6 Member
    I'm a chronic illness sufferer as well. I don't know if i will lose weight this time. I had before but at this time it's more about keeping my mobility and not GAINING while on constant steroids. My illness is the most debilitating form of Psoriatic Arthritis. There are 5 kinds. Anyway, I get that. Something helping me be motivated is cash. I hate walking for exercise. I want to be doing something. I like saving money. So I use Shopkick and it's kind of like a game so I walk more while I'm in the store scanning items and getting points for gift cards. It adds up. If you join through my link I get points from that too. Copy and paste:

http://get.shopkick.com/eureka66097

And download/ sign up. I also have Walgreens balance rewards linked so I get cash back points from them. On top of that, I use charity miles to donate to whatever charity I choose at the time. Then I also use ResQWalk to help animal shelters. So with the often Herculean effort I put forth to exercise, I can earn 2 somethings for me and 2 for others while I have some fun and motivation!
  • jotrex23
    Thank you very much everybody for your fantastic ideas and support, it is VERY much appreciated!!!. I really hope you all have a great day and I wish you the best! :-)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Hi,
    I'm Jo, also from NZ, and although I don't have a chronic condition, I am recovering from an injury last year. I have had a few months of absolutely no exercise, and now 6 months down the track slowly returning to normal. I still can't run/jump/do anything high impact, and my general fitness is scarily low, but getting to a point where I can actually walk a reasonable distance.
    I actually found I didn't put much on the first couple of months - being unable to get up to get food has an upside. But once I was mobile again, things weren't so good - lack of exercise plus some boredom/comfort eating is not a great combination.
    Anyway, hope you improve again soon - best of luck!
  • jotrex23
    Hi Jo, I love your name :-), Thank you VERY much for your great reply, very supportive and positive. Do you mind me asking where abouts in NZ do you live?, I'm Invercargill :-)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I am in Lower Hutt.
    kissfwvpcba4.jpeg
  • jotrex23
    Beautiful view, great photo, thanks Jo :-)
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Hello ladies, I am Mary from Manukau, Nice to see other kiwi's in here I too suffer a bit from osto in the knees and back. I find water walking and the bike my go to exercises. Trying to stay on program, not going any where fast lol but hanging in here, things will turn one day.
    Wishing you a good week.
  • soullevel
    soullevel Posts: 29 Member
    Aloha Kiwis and all others in this thread! I have many physical limitations and am at an age where it can only get worse unless I do something about it. I cannot change my chronic pain, but I have found that I can lessen the pain with eating healthier and doing simple exercises. This thread is so encouraging because I can see so many of you who are doing your best to lose weight in spite of all these different health issues! I know you can do it! Stay determined and when you need support come to your community. That is what I had to do today, it was just too hard. Thank you for your encouragement and send me a FR if you would like to
  • jotrex23
    It is really great to "meet" fantastic people here, we are all dealing with weight in one way or another, so I'm changing how I use the term " losing weight ". Because the fact is with only getting older also 40, I'm going to get rid of this weight for good, since I DON'T want or need to find it again. Such a shame we all live so far apart, be great to catch up for a water :-)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Another chronic fatigue person here.. But luckily for me mine is mine brain fog and battery levels than actual physical pain.

I have tried to follow the graded Excercise therapy (GET) Advice and find it really helpful (eg if you can walk for 20 mins a day without causing relapse for a couple of weeks, then only up by 10% and keep this level for another 2 weeks etc. No couch to 25k for us folks!!). It helps as a) so measurable and you can see the progress b) you get some excercise c) being 22 mins fit is better than doing nothing d) helps with weight loss/maintenance

I usually swim unless I am having a relapse (er, like now). i can usually do about 30 mins, and if I am doing well 45 or more. And I walk. This month I have set myself the challenge of doing atleast 30 mins of something a day... It has made my relapse not feel so bad. I might not be coping, or in the Pool, but I have managed 2x15 mins walk around my local park. I have got th bike out too - but I am not sure today's ride was such a good idea (it crossed into usual rest time).

I am back on Mfp after losing 15lbs or so pre CFS. I've out it back on largely thru inactivity (all those hours in bed or watching tele or meditating) as well as comfort eating. So iam trying to gently tackle both. Not logging, but just being more aware. Not much success so far on the weight loss front, but atleast not gaining any more.that'll do for now.....
  • jotrex23
    Thanks for your post gentlygently, I'm trying to get 15minutes slow walking most days to help me but also because we have a large dog who needs plenty of exercise. So he runs around a big field in our area and I walk my speed. Got on my bike for a couple of slow and very low geared rides and only do what feels right.
    And you can't beat water, drink, drink, drink without going over board :-)
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Hey, I am a Kiwi living in Auckland. I have Hydrocephalus, Functional Neurological Disorder, Chronic Fatigue and a bunch of other things lol. What a mouthful! I lost 15kg over 3 years (slowly does it for many of us with chronic illness), but gained it all back and more because of medication, which btw the doctor promised would almost definitely NOT make me gain weight. But what can you do, if you need the meds, you need the meds. So here I am pulling my socks up and trying again. For me of course it's more about health but as you probably know in NZ and especially living in Auckland, eating fresh is difficult on a low budget. At present I am readjusting to my new circumstances (of little money and worse health etc), so trying to figure out what I CAN do, not what I can't. My daily life is pretty limited, I sometimes barely can get out of bed, but I do try do as much as I can when I can without causing a relapse, though I am actually not great at that last bit even after 11 years haha.