Bariatric Surgery

Options
Hi. Has anyone had or plan to have bariatric surgery. I am and I would love to talk to someone about it.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My husband planned to have it until I talked him out of it.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help you get a huge huge jump start on your weight loss.

I know many people (10 or so) who have had bypass. A little more than half have done really well because they have changed their eating and exercise habits and really made themselves healthier, not just skinnier. They have done a great job. They walk, watch their eating habits, and eat healthier. They look amazing.

Unfortunately, I know several people who have gone back to their old ways of eating, are sedentary, and did not make lifestyle changes with the surgery. They lost weight at first (100+ pounds!), BUT are now back to where they started before they ever had surgery. It is not a quick fix for the long term. And know that you will need to give yourself vitamin injections, and have labs to monitor your health, as you will not be able to absorb some nutrients as well.

The surgery can really help morbidly obese people who use it as a stepping stone to start them on their journey to health.
    There is a rigid diet at first, and you have to do what the doctor asks of you if you wish to succeed. If you don't, you will be ill, and end up like the girls I know who are at 300-400 pounds post-bypass - wondering why they went back to the same size again.

I know there will be people who say to do it with only diet and exercise -- and really in the end, diet and exercise are going to be the reasons you lose and STAY healthy, even with bypass. It will not be a miracle cure if you do not change your lifestyle, but if you use it to help you jump start your journey, then it can benefit you.

I say, talk it over with your doctor, and know that this is just a tool to help you, but ultimately, IT is Up to YOU if you are going to stick with it in the long run.

Good Luck!!
  • ctempletc
    ctempletc Posts: 2
    Options
    I will be three years out in Nov of this year. My husband will be three years out in Dec this year. What kind of questions do you have??
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help you get a huge huge jump start on your weight loss.

I know many people (10 or so) who have had bypass. A little more than half have done really well because they have changed their eating and exercise habits and really made themselves healthier, not just skinnier. They have done a great job. They walk, watch their eating habits, and eat healthier. They look amazing.

Unfortunately, I know several people who have gone back to their old ways of eating, are sedentary, and did not make lifestyle changes with the surgery. They lost weight at first (100+ pounds!), BUT are now back to where they started before they ever had surgery. It is not a quick fix for the long term. And know that you will need to give yourself vitamin injections, and have labs to monitor your health, as you will not be able to absorb some nutrients as well.

The surgery can really help morbidly obese people who use it as a stepping stone to start them on their journey to health.
    There is a rigid diet at first, and you have to do what the doctor asks of you if you wish to succeed. If you don't, you will be ill, and end up like the girls I know who are at 300-400 pounds post-bypass - wondering why they went back to the same size again.

I know there will be people who say to do it with only diet and exercise -- and really in the end, diet and exercise are going to be the reasons you lose and STAY healthy, even with bypass. It will not be a miracle cure if you do not change your lifestyle, but if you use it to help you jump start your journey, then it can benefit you.

I say, talk it over with your doctor, and know that this is just a tool to help you, but ultimately, IT is Up to YOU if you are going to stick with it in the long run.

Good Luck!!

Very good answer. :)
  • karey99
    karey99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all that has responded. I am so scared I wont be able to not eat when Im not suppose to or that the surgery will be too much for me, or I will continue with my ways and go thru everything for nothing. I know its just my nerves and I have talked to my doctor about my concerns but he tells everything will be fine. I believe him. I just dont believe in myself.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Thanks for all that has responded. I am so scared I wont be able to not eat when Im not suppose to or that the surgery will be too much for me, or I will continue with my ways and go thru everything for nothing. I know its just my nerves and I have talked to my doctor about my concerns but he tells everything will be fine. I believe him. I just dont believe in myself.

Why not try eating healthy and incorporating some exercise for a while before you decide? See if you can maintain the lifestyle...

There are several users here on MFP who started dieting to prepare for bairatric surgery and ended up just going the old fashioned diet + exercise route instead as they found it something they could do without going under the knife.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    believe in yourself. Something else I have seen with the girls who have had bariatric surgery... they find a new found confidence and faith in themselves that they didn't know they had - when they see that they succeed and feel good about themselves!

:) You are rightly nervous, but this could be a positive life changing experience.

Elizabeth is right. You might be able to do it on your own with diet and exercise. Its worth a try! :)
  • karey99
    Options
    On day two of two meal replacements. This is hard. Im starving. Next week I have to go to three mean replacements. I dont know how that is going to work. Im losing the wieght I need to prior to surgery but I am so hungry.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My sis-in-law has to have iron transfusions once in awhile. I think she said that having that done takes up most of her day.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    On day two of two meal replacements. This is hard. Im starving. Next week I have to go to three mean replacements. I dont know how that is going to work. Im losing the wieght I need to prior to surgery but I am so hungry.

Why are you on meal replacements? (I'm not familiar with the way bariatric surgery works, so forgive me if this is something you have to do).
  • karey99
    Options
    On full liquids now. I cheated this weekend but didnt eat anything that was bad for me. I just needed to chew something. Surgery is on the 18th and I am so scared and excited at the same time. It has been a long journey to get to this point and I cant wait to move forward.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS ON SURGERY.... A lot of people say, try dieting and exercise... if your considering surgery you have already done this route I can assure you. I am 26 days post op, and life is moving forward. Don't let anyone discourage you love... and good luck, it was the BEST thing I have done for myself. Mind you I did Lap Band vs Roux or Sleeve.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Why not try eating healthy and incorporating some exercise for a while before you decide? See if you can maintain the lifestyle...

There are several users here on MFP who started dieting to prepare for bairatric surgery and ended up just going the old fashioned diet + exercise route instead as they found it something they could do without going under the knife.
    Exactly!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 9 months ago. I have never felt better than I do now for over 30 years. I thought about this long and hard, lost 60 pounds but over 4 years lost and after losing 60 pounds gained the same five pounds every month... in otherwords I was down 60 pounds from my highest weight, but still was morbidly obese. I am so glad I did this surgery, it is a very powerful tool that works, but like every tool for weight loss it is just a tool that takes lots of hard work. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have, from my point of view. What was the hardest.... changing your life style..... Just like everyone who wants to make their weight loss permanent. Bariatric surgery is not a magic bullet, so you can lose weight and go back to your old ways after the weight loss
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Add me and check out my blog. To date I've lost 182lbs in 21 months
  • roggernrogger
    Options
    Yeah I had Bariatric Surgery 3 years ago. I had LAP-BAND surgery. In that we have to take too much care about our health. We have to change our eating habit. These surgeries are not suitable to everyone. If you are planning for Bariatric Surgery then go to doctor take more advice from them. Take more opinion of doctor and then go for surgery.

For more information visit: http://www.ebariatricsurgery.com/