eating exercise calories

Options
I really need to lose weight. I'm 5'3 and 230 pounds. According to my goals 1200 calories a day is my goal. It adds extra for exercise. Am I defeating the purpose?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat back the calories burned through exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nickiegg35 wrote: »
    I really need to lose weight. I'm 5'3 and 230 pounds. According to my goals 1200 calories a day is my goal. It adds extra for exercise. Am I defeating the purpose?

No, your calorie target is based on you doing no exercise at all...do nothing and eat 1200 calories and lose weight. So when you do exercise, it's unaccounted for activity and fueling your fitness is important.

Look at the math...if I get 1800 calories from MFP to lose 1 Lbs per week, that means MFP is estimating my maintenance to be around 2300 calories without any exercise. Now I go exercise and on average burn around 500 calories per day...now my maintenance calories would be 2800 calories and I could lose that same 1 Lb eating 2300 calories.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat back your calories, be extremely careful how you count your exercise calories. Most gym machines overstate them wildly, for instance. There are online tools you can easily Google to find out how many calories you're burning walking, etc., but in general, if you find something suggesting that you're burning at a rate over 5-6 calories a minute even for activity that leaves you sweaty and breathless, it's probably bogus.

Give it a try, and see if you are actually steadily losing weight week after week; if so, you're counting OK. If not, you're eating back too many of your calories, like a whole lot of people who post here wondering why they're on a plateau. (Of course the other common problem is undercounting food calories. Sometimes we do both! :-) It takes a while to get the hang of it, and it's the scale that will tell the true tale over time. At the beginning, it's time to experiment and see what works.)
  • Nickiegg35
    Nickiegg35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • AlannaMLLK
    AlannaMLLK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to allow myself to eat back those calories but I don't always have the appetite to do so. But my own general rule is slightly OVER estimate the calories I'm consuming if there is ever a question and slightly UNDER estimate my calories burned. Doing that tends to leave me room for error without slowing my weight loss or gaining if that makes sense.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    search the forums