Hard boiled eggs.

Options
Benji49
Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
How long does it take to hard boil an egg where you live? I live in Airdrie, AB, elevation 3,573 ft (1089 m) above sea level.
It takes 8 minutes here.

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    isnt it the same everywhere?
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I live near the ocean (10 miles) and it takes 12 minutes here
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    South of Boston: 12 minutes from the time I start heating the eggs in the water to the time I dip 'em into cold water. (No green rings that way.)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i usually go for 10ish or so minutes.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I live at 4400ft
    I do this.
    Place eggs in a pot; pour enough water over the eggs to cover. Cover and turn stove to high; bring to a boil; turn off heat and place pot on a cool burner. Let the pot sit with the cover on for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl halfway with cold water; transfer the eggs from the pot to the cold water. Replace the water with cold water as needed to keep cold until the eggs are completely cooled. Chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours before peeling.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    Brownwood, TX and it takes about 12 min! and don't forget to put baking soda in the water to make peeling the egg a snap!!
  • LaDee05
    LaDee05 Posts: 5
    Options
    In Colorado it takes about 16 minutes if you put them in the water before it's hot and boiling
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It depends.... I like mine soft boiled, to where the center isn't fully cooked, still just a tad runny.

It takes 6 minutes.. (I put them in the water once it is at a rolling boil)

Hard boiled takes 9 minutes I live in SEATTLE WASHINGTON
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I don't know but I just wanted to say HI to another Alberta gal - I'm in Red Deer!
  • BIccan1959
    BIccan1959 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm trying the baking soda trick - thanks for the tip! It takes about 12 minutes in NH
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    Roughly 12 mins for me and I'm in San Diego.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i live in northern ohio.... not sure the elevation. on the second story and it takes 15 minutes. other wise the yolk isn't done all the way.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    isnt it the same everywhere?

Nope. At a higher elevation water boils at a lower temperature so things take longer to cook. Thats why there are high altitude instructions on alot of baking foods (especially cakes).

It depends if you like your soft medium or hard boiled.

In Colorado Springs, CO it took 16-18 minutes in Phoenix, AZ it takes 10-12
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Brownwood, TX and it takes about 12 min! and don't forget to put baking soda in the water to make peeling the egg a snap!!

so going to try that!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I live at 6 feet and it takes me around 20 minutes, but none of that is at boil. For best results put the eggs in a pan and cover with cold water. Heat until the water is around 210 degrees and take from the heat. Cover and let sit for 12-15 minutes. Perfect eggs every time.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I live in the mountains of VA - 9 Minutes
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Once the water starts to boil, I turn off the burner and let them go for about 10 more minutes.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I live in San Diego CA and I get perfect eggs at 20 min. They peel really good too!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

How much banking soda?? I need to try this! :)
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually put them in boiling water for 10 minutes then cold running water for 5 minutes.
    recently moved from 1 mile from the ocean to the Blue ridge mountains and it's still the same.