Will this destroy my metabolism?

Options
So I'm a female 5'3" 126lb and lifting, cutting for now and will eventually want to gain muscle mass and maintain. Some of my peers and some family members are telling me to not get obsessed and look like a dude which is obviously something I'm finding ridiculous as I know that I naturally will not gain muscle like a man... That doesn't bother me as much as I just think they're uneducated but some of them are saying it's going to ruin my metabolism for later in life if I no longer want to lift or get too busy to continue macro counting etc. can anyone shine some light on this? Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• rachelmazour
    rachelmazour Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    To clarify.. They don't like the cutting/maintaining/bulking aspect of my fitness plan.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. If they are uneducated about your fitness plan then what they say or "advise" you is probably incorrect. If you are eating healthy and meeting your calorie goals and have energy to workout then I'd say you're fine.

If you have concerns about the long-term effect on your metabolism a qualified doctor or personal trainer (again, well qualified) would be the ones to ask.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as long as you aren't taking steroids- you're fine.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. Why would having more muscle rather than less be detrimental to your metabolism in the long run? Even in the case you provided, if you stop lifting and lose some muscle...at least you had more to work with lol.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Don't talk to, or listen to, the normals when it comes to fitness....

... they always get it wrong.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    They're probably thinking about how some say yo-yo dieting can damage metabolism. Assuming that's even true, what you're doing isn't the typical "yo-yo dieting". You are working to cut fat and build muscle in a controlled manner. When people yo-yo diet they can often lose muscle along with fat, and then end up gaining more fat when they go back to eating "normally". Building muscle will do positive things for your metabolism.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I am not an endocrinologist...but having more muscle should help your metabolism. Even if you stop working out, there's still a "base" of muscle there that might be more than it was if you had never worked out. I think of it like a savings account for your muscle. Also, if you stop working out...unless you are eating at a cut I don't think you would lose MUCH muscle. If you stop working out and eat at a surplus, you'd probably just gain fat, not necessarily lose the muscle you banked.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't have a link handy ATM, but as long as you aren't trying to stay "contest lean" for an extend time period you should be fine.

Actually, maybe check this out if you have time. Kind of long, but it is a debate/discussion between some trainers re:the need to reverse diet vs. just going right back to maintenance calories after a contest cut.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=swrul81qco8&nohtml5=False
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Guess who is right (hint....not them)

Adding muscle will only benefit you in the long run, they're victims of the old myth of "muscle turning into fat" the minute you stop lifting. The only ex-weightlifters who get fat are the ones who still eat like they're lifting (same with ex-runners or ex-cyclists)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just don't listen to their nonsense. The plan that was laid out in your other thread is fine.