Stress stress stress!!

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
Oy- my work is a frustrating difficult mess right now, planning my wedding, the house is a mess, I know none of my pans are clean (I do all the cooking must I really clean too? I live with TWO other adults....) and well, dinner won't cook itself.

I gotta say I'm super tempted to grab a pizza, hand it over to them and go out for a walk by myself! Then maybe a bath, but its an unseasonably warm day here. Wish I had a beach!

---
When stress makes your meal plan and responsibilities look like a mountain of work, what's your strategy?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I just do it. It usually isn't as bad as I think it is.
  • brb_2013
    edited April 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Guess today I'm just feeling a little sick of it always being my job. But I also can't expect those who have never cooked for themselves to be able to put together an edible salmon dish...

If only it was a simple dinner tonight! And of course we have nothing else in the kitchen right now.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

Guess today I'm just feeling a little sick of it always being my job. But I also can't expect those who have never cooked for themselves to be able to put together an edible salmon dish...

If only it was a simple dinner tonight! And of course we have nothing else in the kitchen right now.

Tell them they are on their own tomorrow. I'm the head chef in the house, and it's perfectly acceptable to throw your hands in the air some days as long as you're not sabotaging your goals.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When stress makes your meal plan look like a mountain of work

That's the beautiful thing: it never does. I consider just about everything I eat as some form of dessert and it barely takes any time to make.

If you can find healthy, quick versions of all your cravings, you're set for life.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself and my husband I would say 95% of the time but, I do have fend for yourself nights as well usually his day off because he is an adult and can cook and I hate cooking.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    I cook for myself and my husband I would say 95% of the time but, I do have fend for yourself nights as well usually his day off because he is an adult and can cook and I hate cooking.

I'd just feel bad, I think the only thing in the house is rice and the salmon I'm cooking. Maybe one package of top Ramen but I'd feel obligated to get them something to eat even if I'm chosing to skip it myself.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I'd just feel bad, I think the only thing in the house is rice and the salmon I'm cooking. Maybe one package of top Ramen but I'd feel obligated to get them something to eat even if I'm chosing to skip it myself.

I feel for you! My husband can't cook and I don't feel like cooking what I planned for tonight. Fortunately I have frozen burgers and veggies, much less work.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

So are these other adults room mates? Adult children?

Just wondering why they can't buy/make their own food.

For me that might be fend for yourself night, but there are plenty of groceries about....sandwiches, eggs and toast, cereal and milk, can of soup, bean burritos, quesadilla/grilled cheese, and, yes, ramen because the two other people here both like it.

Sometimes I may just have a sandwich or cereal...the former has been pretty frequent lately.

Not that I never cook...homemade meatloaf, Italian wedding soup, and chicken stir fry are all in the fridge too.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    One is my soon to be husband, the other his, yes indeed, adult child best friend. 26 never lived away from his mom before moving in with us. It's not ideal but he's in a rough spot.

I really wasn't feeling cooking so I bought a rotisserie chicken and a steamer bag of broccoli. Simple and saved me a lot of crap to do when I got home after my insane day. The salmon can wait another day.

And tonight is our little rehearsal dinner so eating out, unfortunately the restaurant doesn't have an online menu but I feel confident I can make some good choices like I did last night.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Tell them they are on their own tomorrow. I'm the head chef in the house, and it's perfectly acceptable to throw your hands in the air some days as long as you're not sabotaging your goals.

Yep! We have fend-for-yourself dinners at my house a couple times a month. My husband and 11-year-old son find something to eat. I make myself something that fits in my goals for the day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One is my soon to be husband, the other his, yes indeed, adult child best friend. 26 never lived away from his mom before moving in with us. It's not ideal but he's in a rough spot.

I really wasn't feeling cooking so I bought a rotisserie chicken and a steamer bag of broccoli. Simple and saved me a lot of crap to do when I got home after my insane day. The salmon can wait another day.

And tonight is our little rehearsal dinner so eating out, unfortunately the restaurant doesn't have an online menu but I feel confident I can make some good choices like I did last night.

I just saw this and was going to say I'd get a rotisserie chicken and a bag of salad and call it a meal. Looks like you got it handled though. Good work :)

Have fun at your rehearsal and best wishes for your wedding! I've read your posts around MFP. You're doing great and are on a good path. Plus, you seem very level headed. Keep it up!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options

I'd work on getting rid of this "obligated" feeling ASAP. You're setting a bad precedent for what will hopefully be a long, happy marriage. You can't and shouldn't do everything yourself. What to do to relieve stress? DELEGATE. It's nice to want to take care of your fiance and his friend but your first obligation is to yourself. They need to learn to take care of themselves. In the long run you will all be happier.

I'm not criticizing or bashing you. Just speaking from experience. Take time for yourself because if you wait for someone to give it to you it will never happen.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    A clean kitchen just satisfies my soul. Washing dishes and wiping down the counters gives immediate results. Maybe you could sit down w/ the others in your household and work out a schedule for who cleans & when. But don't just leave the mess - it will drag you down emotionally. Walking into a clean kitchen inspires me to cook, even when take-out is whispering in my ear.

Sometimes I resent having to do a lot of it - but my husband helps too. It's always a good idea to put the kids to work, too!
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oy- my work is a frustrating difficult mess right now, planning my wedding, the house is a mess, I know none of my pans are clean (I do all the cooking must I really clean too? I live with TWO other adults....) and well, dinner won't cook itself.

I gotta say I'm super tempted to grab a pizza, hand it over to them and go out for a walk by myself! Then maybe a bath, but its an unseasonably warm day here. Wish I had a beach!

---
    When stress makes your meal plan and responsibilities look like a mountain of work, what's your strategy?

Keep protein shakes at your work just in case
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

These Ppl are adults with I am assuming ways to get food outside the home like a car or ability to call an uber or even walking. If there is nothing for them to eat then they can get their adult butt up and go get food. Stop feeling bad! You need to delegate to these adults the cleaning, and cooking. My husband taught me how to cook but even before him I knew how to make things out of a box and chicken and steak. If they don't know how to cook then teach them while you are cooking.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Um... Tell them to get off their duffs and do dishes? If they are eating the food they should share some of the responsibility, either helping to prepare or cleaning up.