I've maintained for a year!!!

Options
pinkteapot3
pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
edited April 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
First time ever!

I've been on a yo-yo cycle over the years, losing down to 135-140lbs (my happy weight), gaining to 160lbs (the point where I get fed up), losing again...

I've never maintained for this long!

I have:
  • kept logging EVERYTHING - even if I have a day where I go nuts and eat a ton, I log it all (think my record is 2,300 cals over target!)
  • weighed regularly, but slowly less frequently - when I hit maintenance I was still obsessively weighing a couple of times a week - now I can go a few weeks without, but I weigh at least once a month, usually every couple of weeks, so I can catch it if I were to start gaining again
  • kept up the exercise routine I got into - I didn't do it just for weight loss anyway - I feel healthier and, more importantly, happier for it. I'd been through a rough time personally late 2014 and was struggling with depression and anxiety. Exercise had gone out of the window and those bl**dy 20lbs came back on. I re-lost them yet again Jan-Apr last year, got back into running and cycling, and haven't stopped since. :smiley:

That's it really! Accurate and honest logging is the key, just as with losing. And not giving up when you have a couple of bad days because the willpower WILL return. :smiley: And not beating yourself up if you have a day with lots of food because one occasional day doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Fantastic :smiley: keep up the good work :smile:

3+ years at maintenance and I agree with your points - although recently I've stopped logging my food and its going remarkably well (I realise its not ideal for everyone).

Frequent weigh ins are a must so we can nip any would be gain in the bud.

Well done :smile:
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Great job! And I second the logging everything-I stopped after I went into maintenance and I was able to make it work for a while, but the further away from the weight loss phase I got, the easier it was to get sloppy. I'm now back to logging and will never stop :)
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    WOOT WOOT!
    Keep up the great efforts... :)
  • lisamarieb64mfp
    lisamarieb64mfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!
    I'm hitting the 5 year mark Monday and still log regularly/almost daily.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Really impressive accomplishment. Thanks for tip on the consistent logging. Great idea.
  • pinkteapot3
    Options
    Congrats to all the long-term maintainers - amazing achievements!!

Maybe, one day, I'll stop logging or log less often. I'm not convinced though as I just love wine and chocolate too much and I'm not good at judging for myself whether I've had too much or not. ;)
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You are a true inspiration to all maintainers... :)
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    First time ever!

I've been on a yo-yo cycle over the years, losing down to 135-140lbs (my happy weight), gaining to 160lbs (the point where I get fed up), losing again...

I've never maintained for this long!

I have:
    • kept logging EVERYTHING - even if I have a day where I go nuts and eat a ton, I log it all (think my record is 2,300 cals over target!)
    • weighed regularly, but slowly less frequently - when I hit maintenance I was still obsessively weighing a couple of times a week - now I can go a few weeks without, but I weigh at least once a month, usually every couple of weeks, so I can catch it if I were to start gaining again
    • kept up the exercise routine I got into - I didn't do it just for weight loss anyway - I feel healthier and, more importantly, happier for it. I'd been through a rough time personally late 2014 and was struggling with depression and anxiety. Exercise had gone out of the window and those bl**dy 20lbs came back on. I re-lost them yet again Jan-Apr last year, got back into running and cycling, and haven't stopped since. :smiley:

That's it really! Accurate and honest logging is the key, just as with losing. And not giving up when you have a couple of bad days because the willpower WILL return. :smiley: And not beating yourself up if you have a day with lots of food because one occasional day doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
    Thats awesome, keep it up, I'm 2 months in, so far I lost 2 more lb so probably should increase calories , but debating whether or not I should leave it as is for now because summer vacations approaching, I'm going to eat out and perhaps have more ice screams than I should

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Nice!! That is no small feat! You should register with the NWCR, and continue inspiring all others. :)
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Maintenance is the hardest part. I'm looking forward to being where you are.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Way to go! You are awesome. :)
  • pinkteapot3
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Nice!! That is no small feat! You should register with the NWCR, and continue inspiring all others. :)

Ooh - what's NWCR?
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love to read success stories! Amazing tips on staying in maintenance. As of right now, I'm 25 days into maintenance and stopped logging on Day 1. I know, I know! I may be setting myself up for failure. However, I gave myself a 5 lbs maintenance range and will start logging daily again if I find I cannot accomplish this with my training wheels off.

Inspiring story! Thanks for sharing and congratulations to you!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good job!

NWCR is the National Weight Control Registry. They collect data from those that are successfully maintaining and share their research findings for benefit of others.

http://nwcr.ws/
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    That is awesome!

Well done!
    You've succeeded where most have failed. Keep up the great progress!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good advice! I'm working on re-losing some weight that I gained back after a 65 lb loss and your advice is helpful!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Staying there is the hardest part. And goal. Because the point isn't to take it off, it's to stay that healthy weight forever. Yay!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    @pinkteapot3 - Congratulations. Awesome job of maintaining.

I reached my goal weight on May 31, 2015. But then decided I wanted to lose some more. I have lost 12 more lbs since then. I log almost every day. Just not on vacation and a few celebratory days. I weigh almost every day too.

Have learned to like so many new and delicious vegetables and nutritious foods.

I am 68 and have lost 45 lbs in the last 4 years and do not want to gain it back for obvious health reasons. Have also learned to love exercise at this late stage of my life.

Thanks to MFP and all the encouragement from everyone on here.