Chicken Tacos

Options
emerald3358
emerald3358 Posts: 2 Member
I put four large chicken breasts in the pot, cover with taco seasoning and add I can if chicken broth. Cook in low for about 5-6 hours. Take two forks and shred the chicken and let sit for about 20 min to absorb any left over juice. Then use flour tortillas and whatever filling you like for your tacos. So easy. So yumny.

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    That seems so simple, I'm ashamed that I haven't thought of it myself Lol. Thanks!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use cans of green chiles instead of chicken broth. Adds a nice kick!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Taco seasoning is essentially just cumin and salt. If you want to cut down on sodium, put 3 tbsp. of cumin in, with pepper and whatever else you want to add, garlic salt would be better than straight salt.

yea and i mean you know the garlic and onion amd chili powder and pepper amd sometimes oregano.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I do something similar only with a jar of salsa (red or green) instead of the chicken broth. I make about 6-8 chicken breasts at a time because the shredded leftover meat freezes well.

I also have been known to put about 1/3 of the shredded meat back in the crockpot, add 4 cups chicken broth, a can of Rotel, onions, corn and black beans. Then put the crock in the fridge and the next day put it back on the warmer and it has now become tortilla soup for day two, and I haven't even had to clean the crockpot yet...
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. Penzys makes a really good taco seasoning
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I do something similar only with a jar of salsa (red or green) instead of the chicken broth. I make about 6-8 chicken breasts at a time because the shredded leftover meat freezes well.

I also have been known to put about 1/3 of the shredded meat back in the crockpot, add 4 cups chicken broth, a can of Rotel, onions, corn and black beans. Then put the crock in the fridge and the next day put it back on the warmer and it has now become tortilla soup for day two, and I haven't even had to clean the crockpot yet...

^^ On my list for next weeks pre-cooking (thank you @WinoGelato !)
  • ashleyh_vsg
    ashleyh_vsg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea ... I'm a newbie and looking for any new, easy and healthy recipes to try. I will definitely be trying this soon
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Taco seasoning is essentially just cumin and salt. If you want to cut down on sodium, put 3 tbsp. of cumin in, with pepper and whatever else you want to add, garlic salt would be better than straight salt.

yea and i mean you know the garlic and onion amd chili powder and pepper amd sometimes oregano.

LOL I actually seriously just LOL hahaha :)

haha! there are so many spices in taco/enchilada any mexican spice blend haha!
  • Manda_Sparkles
    Manda_Sparkles Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How long do you leave this on for would love to try it
  • pitbullmom1
    pitbullmom1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Never thought of this. My picky kids will love this! Thanks for sharing.
  • RaeAneJF
    RaeAneJF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually put chicken breasts, 2 cans of black beans rinsed and drained, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes (can also use the ones with green chillies), sprinkle with garlic and onion powder then cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours. Drain all ingredients, shred the chicken and mix back with the veggies. Can be put in any shell with shot cream and cheese (salsa if you like that) or over rice. My kids love this and it's full of protein. Freezes great as well for adding into soups or salads later.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    RaeAneJF wrote: »
    I usually put chicken breasts, 2 cans of black beans rinsed and drained, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes (can also use the ones with green chillies), sprinkle with garlic and onion powder then cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours. Drain all ingredients, shred the chicken and mix back with the veggies. Can be put in any shell with shot cream and cheese (salsa if you like that) or over rice. My kids love this and it's full of protein. Freezes great as well for adding into soups or salads later.

This sounds great, but I'd have a hard time pouring that yummy liquid down the drain. I'd probably save it for soup or use it as some of the liquid for rice.
  • alexandriamccann26
    alexandriamccann26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make chicken tacos weekly in the crock pot so good! Instead of the chicken broth I add a can of rotel and when I shred the chicken I add some taco sauce to it
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like adding cilantro and lime, and also making a mixture that is half meat and half quinoa. also try surf tacos, I make tuna tacos, quick and easy with a can of tuna. shredded cabbage goes well with it
  • karenflrz
    karenflrz Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When I make chicken tacos I cook chicken breast in plain water and let them cool. While they are cooling I boil two or three tomatoes until the skin starts peeling and they become soft. I shred the cool chicken with clean hands. Juliane some onions and peel two to three garlic cloves. I saute the onions in fat or oil of choice, while they sautee place the soft tomatoes, garlic, canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I use two), and about two tbsp of jarred adobo that you find in the mexican section of the super Market (I use brand La Costeña) and a little water in a blender and blend until smooth. Toss the shredded chicken with the onions and pour your tomato mixture add a bay leaf and let it boil then turn the heat down and let it simmer until the liquid has evaporated to something more like a light sauce. I use corn tortillas and top with lettuce, home made pico de gallo, avocado, and a dollop of fat free greek yogurt. So delicious! Never considered making chicken tacos a different way since I tried this one!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    This sounds great, but I'd have a hard time pouring that yummy liquid down the drain. I'd probably save it for soup or use it as some of the liquid for rice.
    Yeah, terrible shame to throw that liquid away! I simmer my whole chicken parts on the stove for about 45 minutes then shred the meat and use it as described above but return everything but the meat to the pot and simmer that a few more hours or overnight on low with the crockpot. Add a quartered onion, carrots and celery to the pot with the chicken at the very beginning if you think of it. Strain and refrigerate. Throw out the fat from the top or save it for later use. You can't buy stock this good in the grocery store at any price.