BMI Obsession...?

Options
Okay so first off yes I am trying to recover from an eating disorder. It's more of EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified). I tend to show symptoms of anorexia, bulimia, exercise bulimia, orthorexia. And I hate it because I've been dealing with this since I was 17 and I'm 21 now. I love exercise. But I feel like what's holding me back is the BMI scale. At my lowest I was 75 lifeless pounds and now 145-147 pounds. I have a straight figure at that weight so no I am not curvy at all. In face when I was at my heaviest a long time ago in middle school I was 160 and sure I had a belly which I hated. I hate belly fat. But I had hips then. But the BMI said I was obese at that weight so making me not want to go back to that weight. But I want to recover again.

I don't know what to do anymore. I hate what I feel like I'm putting my fiancé through. He loves me no matter what. But I can't seem to erase that fear over what if the BMI says I'm close to or actually overweight?

Please, help with advise.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    This is probably something to bring up with your treatment team
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

This. If you're diagnosed with an eating disorder, they should be treating it, not the internet.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to recover stop measuring yourself
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The BMI scale also says Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is obese, if that helps. BMI scale is stupid.

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr, people online are not qualified to help you and advice one would give to the average poster might be dangerous to you. Good luck.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Read through this, it might help. Kinda sad when a student has to educate the school!
    http://www.upworthy.com/asked-about-her-body-mass-index-this-eighth-grader-had-the-best-answer
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The BMI scale also says Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is obese, if that helps. BMI scale is stupid.

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

Yes, because nearly every man that is BMI obese is like The Rock.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

If only...
  • dubird
    Options

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

I think the point is that BMI makes no differentiation between fat and muscle. So it's perfectly possible to have a high BMI and be perfectly healthy.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

I think the point is that BMI makes no differentiation between fat and muscle. So it's perfectly possible to have a high BMI and be perfectly healthy.

Doesn't mean that BMI is garbage though because there are statistical outliers. Most people who are classified BMI obese have a very unhealthy percentage of body fat.
  • cap3737
    cap3737 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For 75 pounds of the age of 21 you would have to be under 4 1/2 feet tall. you put on your weight and not your height even though I am a male i'm 511" I should be 170 pounds without knowing all the facts I could not give your proper answer.
  • quiksylver296
    edited April 2016
    Options

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

Doesn't mean that BMI is garbage though because there are statistical outliers. Most people who are classified BMI obese have a very unhealthy percentage of body fat.

And those of us who lift can still be considered overweight until we drop at least 8 more pounds (or is that just me? :p )
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Maybe try focusing on body fat percentage instead? I also deal with EDNOS so I know how tough it can be. I obsess over the scale when I know it would make more sense to focus on measurements. I'm in the process of trying to transition and be less scale-obsessed.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

Bingo. BMI is fairly accurate for couch potatoes and people who focus primarily on cardio. The only place that it doesn't really work is with lifters.
    That being said body fat percentage is a far better system.
  • dubird
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

qd5xf26nt5op.jpg

Bingo. BMI is fairly accurate for couch potatoes and people who focus primarily on cardio. The only place that it doesn't really work is with lifters.
    That being said body fat percentage is a far better system.

I'm a couch potato. Well, computer potato, but same difference. I'm finally down to a healthy weight, according to my doctor, and my asthma is almost under control now, but my BMI still says I'm obese. How is that accurate? I'm not saying you have to throw it out entirely, but it's a rough estimation at best, so not something to focus on.
  • MariRaina
    MariRaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options

The BMI scale is stupid. It was made up by insurance companies. Seriously. It's not medically based at all, and there's nothing healthy or scientific about it.

• sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Read through this, it might help. Kinda sad when a student has to educate the school!
    http://www.upworthy.com/asked-about-her-body-mass-index-this-eighth-grader-had-the-best-answer

Thanks.. now my mascara is all crazy
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I don't have a "team"
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Rock-Paper-Scissors. Mirror beats BMI.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94