Can I do this

Options
Hi. A friend has told me that she has lost 8lb with the support of myfitnesspal so I am hoping that it will work for me. I have been wondering why I am not losing weight even though I have greatly increased my activity level by starting to run / walk for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I am working towards running 5 k in 30 minutes. I think I have not lost weight because I have not sufficiently changed what I eat. My son has suggested making a note of everything I eat ... I have been resistant!!! He told me the best way to lose my 52lb was to run. I was resistant but running has been the best thing I have done for myself for a long time. So I am hoping that myfitnesspal will be that next best thing.

Replies

• Martin1946
    Martin1946 Posts: 22
    Options
    Keeping a list of EVERYTHING you put in your mouth works s we sometimes forget through the day. Also portion sizes are important

By working out you maybe building up muscle mass which weighs more than fat

I gave up looking at the scale all the time and concentrated more on how my body feels. Not every person is a skinny winny

Hope this helps
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Log your food and exercise. This is a great site with lots of support.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes, you CAN do this!! Log your food, exercise, drink lots of water!
  • morselw
    morselw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always had the mentality that if I exercised then I could eat what I want. But, it doesn't seem to really work that way. I just started using My Fitness Pal earlier this week. I have become obsessed with recording everything I eat, the amount of water I drink, and how much I excercise. The calorie calculator doesn't lie. It was a little depressing to run (well jog) for 30 minutes last night and only burn 181 calories. I have come to the realization that what you eat affects loosing weight more than the exercising. It's been a challenge to change my eating habits, but I've found the food diary helps. Good luck!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree....Yes, you can do this! Log everything you put in your mouth and all the exercise minutes that you do. I eat at least 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories back and I haven't missed a week losing weight.....Good luck on your journey and welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Keeping track of EVERYTHING you eat is a big help - you become very aware of how the calories add up and where they hide. I'd suggest starting out with making small changes one at a time if a major overhaul seems like too much. I started out just eating more veggies, then having slightly smaller portions of other things, then gradually cutting back on condiments (the butter & cheese I like to put on all those veggies). Then start eating healthier snacks, drinking more water, cutting back on sweets, etc.

I EARNED every pound I have because I like to eat, so every time I went on a 'diet' I immediately was hungry ALL THE TIME, so I had to ease into this gradually. I tried cutting to 1200 calories/day for the first couple of weeks, but that didn't work, so I set my calories at MAINTENANCE level for a week just to get used to it, then to 1/2 POUND LOSS for a week, now I can eat relatively comfortably at 1350 calories a day which should give me a 1 pound a week loss which I can live with.

Good luck - friend me if you want some support!
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this. This site is wonderful and everyone is so supportive. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • nldsmiley
    nldsmiley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You will love MFP. Feel free to add me and I can help motivate!
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    We are all here for each other, we can do it together!
  • abiolaogunsola
    Options
    Thanks Martin that really does help particularly the bit about not weighing every day. I have been weighing every morning, before I have my first cup of water and when I come back from a run drenched with sweat. Kidding myself really.

The good thing is that at least I have managed to stablize my weight. At the rate I eat, without exercise, I wouild be putting on even more.

I have just finished doing my first food diary and it was quite sobering.
  • abiolaogunsola
    Options
    Thanks for your support.