Ideas for giving steamed broccoli flavor?

Options

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I also vote against steaming ANY vegetable - its just tasteless, wilted crap, IMHO!! Roast it to bring out the natural sugars - use garlic or some chili paste, or balsamic vinegar and oil, toss with sea salt or your favourite spices. You can roast any vegetable and it becomes a completely different texture and flavour - improved!!

I honestly can't say I've ever cooked broccoli any other way besides steam since I buy the steamfresh frozen broccoli. Can you roast raw broccoli?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I like mine with Mrs Dash.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Lemon is really good. Or if you are having chicken I'd eat it along with that. Broccoli and chicken are good together.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone here who mentioned baking or roasting broccoli with some olive oil and sea salt. I roast it in the oven with cauliflower and chick peas on baking sheets. So good! Then I mix it all together. For extra deliciousness, drizzle a tablespoon of Asian sesame salad dressing on top. And if you need more substance, add some whole grain rice. I make a batch of this and I get 3 workday lunches out of it.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My mom always steamed broccoli and poured over heated oil and oyster sauce. Not ideal for your sodium situation, but it is delicious.

I prefer roasting myself. Just chop and mix in a bag w/ olive oil and whatever spice mix you like. Only takes ~12min at 415F depending on how small you chop it. You can sprinkle parmesan during the last 2 minutes.
  • Spradzilla
    Spradzilla Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    4 slices of Bacon kicks it up a notch. Lol. J/K of course. Sea Salt and a dash of Tobasco here
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I also vote against steaming ANY vegetable - its just tasteless, wilted crap, IMHO!! Roast it to bring out the natural sugars - use garlic or some chili paste, or balsamic vinegar and oil, toss with sea salt or your favourite spices. You can roast any vegetable and it becomes a completely different texture and flavour - improved!!

I honestly can't say I've ever cooked broccoli any other way besides steam since I buy the steamfresh frozen broccoli. Can you roast raw broccoli?

Oh Gosh - YES!!! Just google "roasted broccoli", and I am sure you will find lots of hits - for me, I just toss florets with some oil and spices and spread them out on a sheet pan. Roast in the oven at 425 F for 10 minutes or so, until you see that the florets are browning and edges are crisping up, then flip for 10 more minutes- amazing.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Oyster sauce and garlic
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like to toss it with lemon, olive oil and freshly pressed garlic.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like to top it off with some salsa verde and trader joes dragon sauce. I will honestly eat a whole bowl.

Crazy, that's exactly what I do

Or Frank's on the side for dippin'
  • NYRhockey00
    NYRhockey00 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    garlic...all day
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    butter

or garlic salt
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Saute with sesame oil, deglaze with low sodium soy sauce, top with sesame seeds. So good with ahi tuna steaks!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Yes! Do you have Pinterest? Type in broccoli and you'll get a million ideas.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    i love garlic onion powder italian seasoning mrs dash hot sauce...etc
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I usually crush some garlic cloves into some youghurt and salt to taste. Pour it over the broccoli (or any veg) then sprinkle some red pepper flakes. Brilliant as a side dish..
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like to toss it with lemon, olive oil and freshly pressed garlic.

Me too. And if no kids are eating it, I will add crushed red pepper. Very little oil is needed, IMO.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Sundried tomatoes in olive oil, garlic powder and (if you eat dairy) a bit of the cheese of your choice. I liking cambazola right now, but it's a little sodium heavy.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Montreal chicken seasoning from McCormick
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use lemon pepper. The citrus gives it a nice zip