Losing Weight without exercising

Options
Last Fall I injured my back really bad. Surgery will follow in May 2016. I go to TOPS once a week and log my food on a food chart as well as on myfitnesspal. I didn't think I could lose weight because I can not exercise but lately Ive gone on a 1400-1500 calorie a day diet and Im losing a pound and a half a week. Has anyone else lost weight without exercising?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Yes. A calorie deficit is all that's required to lose weight and you can get that without exercise.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 80lbs without exercising. That being said I now exercise routinely as there are so many benefits to being fit!
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - food really is the hard part of losing weight. Working out has other health benefits, can help speed up weight loss and aid in body re-composition but is definitely not required to lose weight in general.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yep, I went through my whole weight loss phase without any exercise at all. Now 3 years into maintenance and I'm a seasonal walker (I'll walk in 50+ degree weather, otherwise forget it lol). Not exercising hasn't affected my weight goals at all and I'm in great health with consistent good blood panel results.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep. All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise is definitely not required. When I was working full time and going to school at night along with being a single mom there was no time for exercise - still managed to lose 40 lbs.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How?
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How?? Congrats!
    jlcrph wrote: »
    Yes, I lost 80lbs without exercising. That being said I now exercise routinely as there are so many benefits to being fit!

• Judymnelson
    Judymnelson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Im hoping to get back to some sort of exercise after my back heals. I know there are other benefits to exercise. Ill probably walk during the summer. Not sure what Ill do in cold weather though.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Im hoping to get back to some sort of exercise after my back heals. I know there are other benefits to exercise. Ill probably walk during the summer. Not sure what Ill do in cold weather though.

Man, I am the opposite. I hate walking in warm weather. At least the heat from the exertion warms you up in the cold. I always feel faint walking in the heat, no matter how much water I drink.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required if all a person desires is mere weight loss.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Energy expenditure has to be more than energy consumption.

How you do this is completely personal preference.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds since January with no exercise except my daily activity from working an active job. Plus I took one walk and played soccer twice. So virtually no exercise at all.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    How?

Calorie deficit. Eat less than you use per day. Keep in mind you use calories by existing; you don't need to create that deficit through exercise.

I lost the better part of 100lbs without exercising much more than a walk now and again.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    How?

"Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym".

Eat a caloric deficit and you will lose. You can do that by just eating less or just exercising more or doing both. It's up to you.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    People keep saying it, and it's still true :wink: Calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight. If you want to be in good fitness shape, then cardio and strength (which can help add to your deficit).
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise and I'm losing 1lbs a week for 9 weeks so far.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a significant amount of weight I didn't exercise. I felt so bad about myself I barely left the house at all. I successfully lost 3 stone (42lb) without exercising at all (not even at home) So yeah it definitely can b done. The only I had to do was cut my calories more drastically than someone who is more active - I was able to be strict with the food though..so I got through it.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How?

Calorie deficit. Eat less than you use per day. Keep in mind you use calories by existing; you don't need to create that deficit through exercise.

I lost the better part of 100lbs without exercising much more than a walk now and again.

How long did it take you to lose the weight?
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yup i lost my first 20 without exercise i only exercise to tone up and stay healthy and to relieve stress. Ive lost 30 lbs pretty much due to food alone