TOM looming questions for all you ladies or experts

Options
Ok so every month the dreaded TOM is coming.....i usually have 1 or 2 days of complete fatigue where i can barely keep my eyes open....its so frustrating...not to mentino increase in appetite and hotflashes....do you give yourself a day off or do you push thru...what does your body need...????? i'm 36 years old and i should have this figured out by now!!! Please help:O)

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Don't let it kick your butt lol......fight back. Take you some pain reliever and treat it like any other day. That is what I do and I feel better for exercising:) If I eat more during TOM, I'll just work out a little more! You can get through it girl:) Show TOM who's boss!
  • mflake
    mflake Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i have noticed when its that t.o.m. and i do workout it really helps. even if its just a light swim or walking. You should get on a birth control where you don't have a period! i just got on some and i bet it will help a lot!!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too about what others do to fight that awful fatigue. It is the worst.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i have noticed when its that t.o.m. and i do workout it really helps. even if its just a light swim or walking. You should get on a birth control where you don't have a period! i just got on some and i bet it will help a lot!!

Oh the joys. If its seasonique be ready for your first period on it (as the lovely pamplet warns) its very likely to have an intense 2-3 weeks menstraul cycle your first 1-2 packs of seasonique. So im sure its the same with any like it. The only BC i had that eliminated periods and didnt cause this issue was the MIRENA IUD, I miss my IUD :( it had to come out due to an extrememly rare complication though....

I agree with trying to do SOME type of workout, Im exhausted like that too but my period is heavier on days I workout and if I push through its also shorter. Working out generally gives you a bit of an energy boost too
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    I push through it & the fact that my appetite seems to increase and I crave some not so good stuff helps me to do so. Mind you I am pretty lucky normally I don't deal with the fatigue, cramps etc...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I usually skip working out the day I start because I'm exhausted and have cramps. After the first day, I force myself to go to the gym - even if it is for a shorter time than normal or for a less intense workout than normal. I feel better (and my cycle shortens!) when I workout during.

As for eating, I pretty much just let myself eat. I know any weight gain will be water weight and it'll drop back off afterward. So, I try and not worry about a few pounds. I pretty much eat like a lumberjack during TOM. lol
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I push through!! I have the same symptoms and I hate it. I always feel better after exercising.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I push through the exercise because, ultimately, it always makes me feel better. There's a whole chapter in the 17 Day Diet for just this problem. It says to eat fish, lean protein, soy, natural carbs, water-laden veggies, probiotics, 1-2 T of flaxseed oil daily, and up to 1 oz of dark chocolate a day.

So, if you're low carb, add in a few natural carbs (like sweet potatoes, oatmeal, etc.), and don't deny yourself chocolate. More water, less caffeine.

Obviously I've left a lot of details out, but if you can "splurge" without going overboard, you'll probably feel a lot better when the week is over!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I usually just push through and try to drink water to make the cravings and hungry feelings go away!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP 2 months ago on my first day of TOM. I push through because it is always going to be there and I could feel the effects from TOM for about 2 weeeks.....so if I let "him" win, that would be two weeks of falling off the wagon. I worked to hard to let TOM get the best of me. Advil is my BFF during that time. Good Luck!
  • blacktallon
    Options
    My doctor does not recomend using birth control that prevents you from having a period.. but he is pretty old school. So Im not sure if it has any health effects according to anyone elses. I would recomend going on some sort of birth control however. It really takes the pain away in my case and we all know how hard it can be to function normaly buckled over. I also makes things a bit lighter lol.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I take meds and try to push through.... I usually feel better afterwards ( sure the meds help too)

Good luck to you!!!
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    To all the girls who feel fatigued during your period, perhaps you should really look into increasing your iron intake. You might become anemic during your TOM and that is why you feel so tired.

Hope that helps!
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Working out is supposed to help the time of month. It helps u being more in tune with ur body. Also when I workout religiously I have a shorter Tom!
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thank you everybody!!!! with all your understanding an encouragement I PUSHED THRU!!!! Yay!!!!! Many thank you's!!
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Lemoncitron......that is a great idea!!!! thank you so much!!