Confused on calculating these calories?

Options
I baked boneless, skinless chicken breast for dinner tonight. The package of raw meat was 1.4 pounds, or 22.4 ounces. I baked it in no calorie cooking spray. After the meal, I added up what I had left. I had 6 ounces of cooked meat left plus 3.4 ounces in water from the pan, which means I ate 13 ounces of chicken. Now here is where I get confused - the site I always use to count calories says there are 184 calories in 4 ounces of baked chicken breast. The calories on the actual package I bought says there are 110 in 4 ounces ( raw ). That means, according to the site I use, I consumed bout 600 calories in meat. How is this possible when, according to the raw meat's package, the ENTIRE 1.4 pound package is 616, and I still have 6 oz of meat left? Does baking the chicken add calories? Am I doing something wrong? I want to get it correctly on my log.

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The flaw is in raw vs baked chicken. Your calculations are based on the raw weight. You didn't eat 13 ounces of cooked chicken. 22.4 ounces (raw) - 6 ounces cooked -3.4 ounces water/juices = 13 ounces chicken That's based on the starting raw weight, so that's the calorie measurement you should be using. 13oz = 357.5 calories