Counting alcohol calories?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm just wonder what everyone's opinion is on the subject of counting alcohol calories (I'm talking about straight liquor not beer or wine). I have heard both sides, that alcohol calories must be allotted for in your daily totals while others have said they don't even count them at all.

Since alcohol itself is not digested by the body and is seen as a toxin, do we need to count the calories from straight liquor such as vodka? Will eating your TDEE, but then getting excess calories only from straight liquor, cause weight gain?

What is everyone's experience with this? Does anyone not count alcohol calories and has not experienced a weight gain? I'm just confused as to whether or not I should be counting these calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course they count! They're calories. Sounds like wishful thinking to think they don't count.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good question. I only drink light beers and have to log the darn calories (200 for a small can sigh...). I may have to switch up my drink here lol.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Alcohol is indeed metabolized by the body in the liver and yields 7 calories per gram. There are 64 calories per ounce of 80 proof (40 %)spirits and 80 cal per ounce in 100 proof (50%). Its more calorie dense than protein and carbs (4 cal/GM) and almot as calorie dense as fat (9 cal/gm)
    Hi everyone, I'm just wonder what everyone's opinion is on the subject of counting alcohol calories (I'm talking about straight liquor not beer or wine). I have heard both sides, that alcohol calories must be allotted for in your daily totals while others have said they don't even count them at all.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Your body does use the calories from alcohol for energy, so they count in the CICO formula.