how are you determining a healthy weight range?

Options
Just curious how people are determining their weight goals. According to the BMI calculator I should weigh between 111-140. I'm 5'5 but dont think thats a realistic weight for me. I have my goal set at 150 but how everyone else is setting their goals.

Replies

• mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use the BMI calculator...but my ultimate goal is on the higher end of healthy (150). The lowest weight I've ever been as an adult is 135 lbs in my early EARLY 20s LOL. And I think that WAS realistic then, but now I'd be happy at 150...I haven't been there in 8 years.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My goal is right smack dab in the middle of my healthy weight range according to the BMI calculator.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" 150 is in the healthy range. Its 111-150.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, its all relative. One person's ideal weight may not look good on another person, depending on their build and body shape.

I'm quite slender and all my extra weight goes to my waist and tummy first making me look out of proportion and big even though I have a healthy bmi of 21 (9st 8lb and 5'5). My goal is to lose just under a stone so I will be between 8.5 and 9 stone as this is where I personally feel at my best and most confident, slim and a good shape but not skinny :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Mine "ultimate goal" it as the high end of a healthy weight range by BMI. Since I enjoy building muscle and love my curves my original goal weight was 175 which would still classify me as "overweight" by BMI. So I have a goal size, and will re-*kitten* everything when I get there :)
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The healthy range for my height is between 118 and 159. When I was 21-22, i weighed in between 140 & 145, but once I started gaining a little weight (i.e. 5 lbs or so), I started getting lots of compliments so 150 is the lowest I'd ever want to be again. Given that I'm 30 now, I'd be happy anywhere between 150 and 159. I want to stay in the healthy range, but not look scrawny, plus I have to consider that I'm working out more and doing weight training (which I've never done) and since muscle weighs more than fat..... well, you don't need me to tell you.

I've already reached the point where I'm comfortable and happy (even though I'm not technically in the healthy range), but I'm still working on toning and rearranging my body composition. So any more from here is just icing on the cake...er, I mean...hmmmm, I can't think of a healthy way to convey the same thing. LOL

In short, I listen to my body, pay attention to others' feedback (genuine feedback, not snarky feedback) and use my own judgment. It's also about what you are willing to maintain. Your doctor's idea of an ideal weight may be just too much for you to maintain (realistically). If you add 5 or 10 pounds on that, it's not the end of the world. As long as you are happy, that's what counts!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I49 now It set to lose 19lbs, If I look good just losing 10 fine. It depends on you age and body type. Im not in my 20s at 110 So I will lose about 1lb a week.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have been 120lb (in my teens) and i have been 215lbs (pregnant). I like the way i look when i am about 135lbs. I have a small bone structure with wide hips it works.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I haven't been carrying my excess weight all that long (less than 5 years) so I know what weight range I can easily maintain and feel good within.

I shot for the middle of that range, bu tI may go down another 5.
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My goal is not a number on the scale. It's a pants size I used to wear that's hanging in my closet . Instead of weighing myself regularly I try them on
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question, I was going to ask it too! My BMI says between 116 and 130 (5' 1"), however, at my healthiest (college soccer player, aerobics instructor and running approx 8 miles per day) i weighed 140. I set my goal weight to 130, but honestly I dont think I will get there. At 140 I was a size 4 and had very little body fat. We will see though. I think I would look sick at 130 since I am naturally muscular, larger framed, and have large boobs that do not disapear when I lose weight (in fact they just went up after losing 12 pounds!). I would be interested to see what everyone else thinks!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Don't use one of those online calculators, they're ****. Get yourself to a trainer and have your measurements taken and then set a reasonable goal based off of your actual calculations.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm suppose to be at my healthy weight range now according to my bmi but I'm still flabby in some areas. So I'm just going to keep going until I have a toned tummy! I brought a dress when I was on holiday that doesn't really fit so thats kind of my goal too.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    BMI is bunk as it doesn't take into account Body Fat. If you have two people with the same height and weight but one is 13 percent body fat and the other is 30 percent, there is a definite difference in health risk and also a definite difference in how they look.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    At my healthiest I was 135 lbs and 18% bodyfat. My goal is slightly more conservative as I'm not 20 years old any more. :sad:

I'm aiming for 135-145 lbs and/or 20-22% bodyfat. This is the VERY high end of the BMI scale for my height (5' 3.75"), but the BMI scale does not take into account body type, bone density, lean muscle mass, or other factors.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the exact middle of the healthy weight based on BMI. I'm a 5'11 female and that's a goal of 154 (CW 186).

That said I have big bones so when I get 10lbs from my goal I'm going to get my body fat tested by water disposition (most accurate) to see if I still have weight to lose or not. It took me awhile but I found somewhere in Omaha that will do it for $30.

8680356.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sjhoffman
    sjhoffman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just did a search on this for a calculator or something, and found an informative article that reviewed BMI (not as accurate as the others), waist to hip ratio, and body fat %. It said body fat was most accurate but not as easy to measure at home, and waist to hip was the next best. It gave various healthy and unhealthy ranges for these.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/obesity/how-much-should-i-weigh.php

AND, I discovered you can add these to your weigh-in goals (in addition to the neck, waist, hip that MFP sets up for you)! If you want to do this, click your My Home tab, go to Check-in on the banner or Weigh-in on the left side, and underneath the box click Change Measurements. You can then add new things you want to track. It will do graphs for these under Reports, too.
  • sjhoffman
    sjhoffman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ^
    BTW, using the measures in the article, I am at the lower end of overweight using BMI, but at the upper end of overweight using body fat %. So it makes a difference, and I am going to rely less on BMI to set health goals.