Anyone in here does ZUMBA?

Options
Cheers, everyone! :smile:

Anyone in here does ZUMBA?
Am perplexed with the wide range of calories burned in a 60mins session.
What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks, mates and TGIF! :drinker:

nana_b

xx

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I just bough the Wii game for it and i have the zumba fitness dvd. it is crazy fun. :) It is the answer to are workout prayers with the amount we can burn.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I use the calories burned from the Zumba website.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The Zumba site below will show you how to calculate it :)

http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt/
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love doing Zumba at my gym. Depending on what instructor I go to i can burn anywhere from like 700 to almost 960 in an hour. I use a HRM
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options

That seems like a good site. It's just about what my HRM says.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM. With the amount of time I use it each week (3-4 workouts) it ends up being worth the initial costs.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks, LosinginAlaska for posting that....it's a handy little tool!! I do Zumba as well...LOVE it!!
  • sanikki13
    sanikki13 Posts: 9
    Options
    I do zumba also. It is really exhausting until I get use to it again. I guess the calaries burnt will depend on how intense you are.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I just did a compair too and this seems pretty darn close!!!
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There is big difference in doing Zumba w/ the Wii and actually going to a class. Zumba is also very dependant on how much effort you put into it. If you are looking for an average of calories burned, take all of the estimates you have and average them together. Take into account your own participation level (be honest!) and you should be close. It probably makes a difference which dances are being done also, which adds to the descepancies. I know some leave me sweating bullets and panting for breath, while others are almost relaxing. Either way, its a blast and a good work out, no matter what! :)
  • sanikki13
    sanikki13 Posts: 9
    Options
    I will need to get a HRM to be more specific.
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba classes! I go 5x a week if I can or even more! It's a fun party and nobody cares if you mess up a move. The point of the workout is to have fun and not even realizing that you are working out.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!! I prefer the classes but will use the dvds and Wii when I can't get to one. I've always guessed about 550 cals I burned. The site several already mentioned said 599. Pretty close! I am getting a new HRM next week so I'll be able to tell exactly how many, I hope!!!! It all depends on how much you put into it!!!!!! I go crazy while I am there and am dripping sweat within 25 minutes!
  • sfmathews
    sfmathews Posts: 36 Member
    Options

TY, very helpful sight!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

I just went to this site, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? I hope they aren't putting that information on there as a "buy-in" to get people to do it.
    Because I've been putting my Zumba calories much lower than that.
    I know the only true way to know is a HRM, but I can't quite invest in that yet.
  • petitedemoiselle
    petitedemoiselle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just got my copies of Exhilarate this morning, and I've been doing Zumba for a while (on and off). I love it. Given the discrepancies between what I've been told about the calories burned, I think a HRM is the way to go if you can afford one. I'm hoping to get one soon.

Thanks for the calculator, losinginalaska.
    I just went to this site, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? I hope they aren't putting that information on there as a "buy-in" to get people to do it.
    Because I've been putting my Zumba calories much lower than that.
    I know the only true way to know is a HRM, but I can't quite invest in that yet.

I agree with you, but I've always wondered if the MFP entry (Dance, modern twist) is on the low side. I'm just going to use it as a range or average the two.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for posting this!!!!!!!:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • LCantrell
    LCantrell Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • nana_b
    nana_b Posts: 24
    Options
    Cheers all Zumba lovers! :happy:

Thanks v much for posting/replying to my inquiry. It appears that total calories burned will vary pending on how much physical exertion as most of you devotees pointed out. :smile:

I Zumba 2x per week as it's the only time my work and uni schedule allows me. But one thing for certain, I will invest in a proper HRM sooner than later, as well! :laugh:

Other than ZUMBA, what other forms of cardio do you do to burn up some calories?