Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat food.

While shakes are convenient they don't teach you portion control. You won't be able to drink shakes your entire life. Why not learn the right way to portion food?
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If shakes are going to make you happy, then have them. You're not going to live on them forever, and you can use them as a learning tool and adjustment aid as you transition into a healthier lifestyle. I'm a green smoothie person myself, because I hate eating anything before 11:00 a.m., so I get their appeal. A scoop of vegan protein powder thrown in, and I call it good. In fact, that's what I'm having for dinner because I'm just not into chewing or heating up prepped meals today. Laziness, meet your match.

I see a lot of hatred for shakes on here, when the reality is that many of them are perfectly fine. They count as food, too. I'm so, so incredibly tired of seeing the asinine and unhelpful "oh, I prefer to eat REAL food" comments, when half the people making this argument do something others would never dream of doing and would actually look down on the "real food" crowd. You're not perfect, and neither is your plate, so come off it, please.
  • Blossom41290
    Blossom41290 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink a meal replacement for evenings dinner time. Because i usually get home around by 7pm so i am too tired to make any dinner, and i like to be in bed by 8.30pm. I think it is fine, my meal replacement shake is 245 calories which is a few calories below a normal meal. I don't go for the ones under 200 calories though.

I meal prep for the week every sunday for my lunches, just not dinner because i hate eating food after 6, but that is just me and it works for me. Things may be different for other people though.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've used Garden of Life Raw Meal or Vega One meal replacement for breakfast for almost 3 years. I use them for convenience, to help me hit my protein macros, and fiber and vitamin micros.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If it helps you out, sure. I prefer to eat my food, if I drink something it's for pleasure or a reason (yay caffeine).

The problem I've found with using shakes is that you're not learning anything about eating within your calorie means. What happens when you're ready to stop using a meal replacement? Your life, in theory, will still have the same things going on in it that prevent you from having breakfast available to have right now.
    Plus that stuff is usually super expensive in the long run compared to food. If I don't have time (often) I'll eat a peanut butter sandwich :smiley: Within my calories, has ok carbs, healthy fats and protein. I don't have to worry about if it's tasty or not!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    NO!!!
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I drink them for breakfast when I'm running late or out of yogurt and cereal. Slim fast Cappuccino tastes pretty good and keeps me satisfied for a few hours (I'm not a big breakfast eater though.) I definitely would end up binging if I tried to have 2 a day!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I tried doing my own smoothies, and while I did like them they did not make any big difference in weight loss, and really took a lot of time to make from scratch. It just is not sustainable for no real change in weight loss or improved health.

Everything I need comes from the foods I eat. And they are more satisfying.
  • julieannka
    julieannka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use the Jay Robb Egg White Protein powder as a supplement on days when I haven't eaten enough protein, and as a meal replacement mixed with water and fruit when I've overindulged the day before, and it works will for that.
  • kwiatrtdy2
    kwiatrtdy2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like them for breakfast on the go and also if I've fallen off the healthy eating wagon. They're good for breaking bad habits. Not very good for the long term though as they're just not that filling!