Knee pain slowing me down

Options
Anyone have experience with knee pain and running or exercise in general?

Anything you have done to improve the situation?

I've gained back 4 pounds and I'm frustrated. Wah. :(

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Yes.

First step with knee pain: Put running on hold, until you get seen by a doc, and cleared or get a treatment plan/diagnosis.

My injury was patellofemoral syndrome, due to improper tracking of the patella, coupled with plantar fasciitis. My treatment was strength training for quads, hip abductor and a few other groups, alongside plantar stretches, and no running for 8 weeks. Did all of that, but went back to running at 4 weeks, with a patellar strap.

Your course will vary depending on what your doc says.
  • krepanie
    krepanie Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I can't run either due to a knee injury. Every time I try I end up with pain and sometimes swelling. I just speed walk now and manage to do so at 4-5mph, so I am still getting a decent workout with that.

I know that I need to have it checked out, but I haven't made that a priority. I suspect that I injured myself doing Turbo Jam years ago. :neutral:

I hope you are able to get some answer.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I hurt my knee a few days ago. You really have to stick to your calorie counts (as when I exercised, I always ate back some of my calories). Mine is set at 1200 and I really have to watch what I eat to make sure I don't go over those. So far I've had good success, but slower weight loss.
  • haugentimo
    haugentimo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One simple opinion I will offer, if your knees are hurt from running, walking, cycling, swimming, etc. your muscles are not strong enough. Time to weight train.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots.

I try to avoid idiot car drivers who want to modify my knees by driving into them. Also a proper diagnosis, surgeries and treatment followed by buying a knee brace suitable for my particular injuries. And then later followed by picking a more "injured knee friendly" form of exercise - cycling. Your experience will hopefully be different.

I've gained back 4 pounds and I'm frustrated. Wah.
    You need to eat less - sorry it's not the knee pain causing weight gain.
    (I stayed fat for 20 years by making the excuse it was the injuries that made me fat and were keeping me fat.)

Seriously get a proper diagnosis then make decisions based on knowledge. Knees are far too complex to guess.
  • 1CountryGirl05
    1CountryGirl05 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes, lots.

I try to avoid idiot car drivers who want to modify my knees by driving into them. Also a proper diagnosis, surgeries and treatment followed by buying a knee brace suitable for my particular injuries. And then later followed by picking a more "injured knee friendly" form of exercise - cycling. Your experience will hopefully be different.

I've gained back 4 pounds and I'm frustrated. Wah.
    You need to eat less - sorry it's not the knee pain causing weight gain.
    (I stayed fat for 20 years by making the excuse it was the injuries that made me fat and were keeping me fat.)

Seriously get a proper diagnosis then make decisions based on knowledge. Knees are far too complex to guess.

Haha I don't think I can eat much less. I was exercising over an hour a day though and then slacked off for several weeks due to the knee. The weight gain isn't really an issue and I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. I'm thin enough (according to my husband). I'm just concerned about becoming less fit in general.
  • 1CountryGirl05
    Options
    haugentimo wrote: »
    One simple opinion I will offer, if your knees are hurt from running, walking, cycling, swimming, etc. your muscles are not strong enough. Time to weight train.

You are correct. I do NEED to weight train. :( Did I mention that I love cardio though? :)
  • 1CountryGirl05
    Options

Yes.

First step with knee pain: Put running on hold, until you get seen by a doc, and cleared or get a treatment plan/diagnosis.

My injury was patellofemoral syndrome, due to improper tracking of the patella, coupled with plantar fasciitis. My treatment was strength training for quads, hip abductor and a few other groups, alongside plantar stretches, and no running for 8 weeks. Did all of that, but went back to running at 4 weeks, with a patellar strap.

Yes.

Yes.

Thanks. I have put running on hold. I'm only walking right now. I will look more into the stretches. I've been thinking that Im not stretching properly.
  • 1CountryGirl05
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Yes.

Thanks. I have put running on hold. I'm only walking right now. I will look more into the stretches. I've been thinking that Im not stretching properly.

Well, the key is to seeing a doc, not just following what I said. You might have a torn meniscus, in which case, the treatment and rehab would be different. I just gave mine as an example.

Stretching wouldn't have help my patella track, that was just for my plantar fasciitis. Rest, and patellar strap took care of that.
  • keeltyc
    keeltyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People are right that the first thing you need is a doctor's diagnosis. I strongly suggest looking for a doctor who runs, they are usually more familiar with running-related injuries and less likely to prescribe "stop running forever" as a treatment.

Second, you have to recognize that running, like any exercise, trains and builds certain muscles. If running is your primary exercise, your quads will get disproportionately stronger than other leg muscles, and that's one of the most common causes of knee pain in runners. You need to offset by cross-training; if you don't want to weight lift, find a good body-weight routine for your lower body that integrates squats, lunges, and stretching. A lot of runners are getting into kettlebell workouts these days, and having tried a couple, they look easy but they are SERIOUS.

Some knee issues in runners can be treated as simply as wearing a knee band that presses on a certain ligament--that's what I ran into when I started running, but I was lucky. Others can cause permanent injury if you don't address them (or worse, try to run or train through them) so do go see a doctor before you do anything else
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with an orthopedist.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Take tumeric! I take it for knee pain I used to have and it also works for allergies. Amazing no side effects either
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

As upthread, the key point is seeing a doctor or a physiotherapist. The knee is a complex joint and pain could be from any one of a wide range of causes.

It could be core strength, your gait, your shoes, doing too much at a time. Without much more information nobody here can really say.

In that case you're still eating too much.

Swimming or cycling might help to get your exercise in while you can't run. Equally, depending on the problem, both could exacerbate.