Have any snack ideas?

Options
Hey! So I am attempting weight loss seriously this time...one thing that always trips me up is trying to find low cal foods that can get me through the day without leaving me tired and grouchy.

Any grab and go snack suggestions? I want to find some variety of snacks so I'm not tempted to pull into a Wendy's when I get hungry. So far I'm thinking cottage cheese, and I like small carrots and oranges a lot. Other ideas would be great!

Replies

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    240 cal clif bars oatmeal rasin walnut 730am til 915am - morning breakfast
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bento lunches - check it out on the this sight and the world wide web
  • bhunter428
    bhunter428 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I am attempting weight loss seriously this time...one thing that always trips me up is trying to find low cal foods that can get me through the day without leaving me tired and grouchy.

Any grab and go snack suggestions? I want to find some variety of snacks so I'm not tempted to pull into a Wendy's when I get hungry. So far I'm thinking cottage cheese, and I like small carrots and oranges a lot. Other ideas would be great!

• bhunter428
    Options
    I like the following:

1. frozen grapes; just wash, slice in half, and put in a bowl in the freezer. They are sort of creamy and sorbet like, plus they take longer to eat.
    2. frozen banana slices with 1 T drizzle of Hershey Syrup and 1 T of shelled pistachios
    3. skinny pop or chickapop prepopped popcorn; better than it sounds, and nuked in the microwave for 30 seconds or so with some butter flavor cooking spray and dry ranch dressing sprinkled on while warm is yummy
    4. 2 caramel rice cakes with 2T peanut butter and sliced banana or dried cherries
    5. chobani 100 crunchy yogurt
    6. chocolate graham crackers with Fatfree Cool whip and strawberry (or whatever kind of berry you like) slices
    7. oven toasted almonds or pecans with dried fruit
    8. apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon
    9. veggie straws - you got a lot in one serving
    10. reduced fat triscuits and laughing cow cheese

Hope these help. I taught school for 30 years, and snacks like these helped me make it through the after school tutoring and other activities.

I love cooking, too, so if you're interested in some good for you recipes that taste good, just ask.

• Sophi_allheart
    Sophi_allheart Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @Ginny218 I have heard of bento boxes before. Do you know what category they might be under on this site?

@bhunter428 the frozen grapes sound good! I'll have to try that. How long do they keep? Are they good for several days?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    String cheese, nuts, wasabi peas, fudge pops, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, hummus & veggies, protein bars, Greek yogurt, beef or turkey jerky, popcorn, apples & peanut butter, fruit
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My favorite quick snacks are Nature Valley's protein bars (190 cals with 10g of protein) and Kirkland's (Costco) Steak Strips (60 cals per ounce with 9g of protein). If you want to be satisfied, chose snacks high in protein. I also enjoy Wheat Thins, Triscuits, BabyBel light cheese, peanuts, and raisins.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    2 words: wasabi peas.
  • opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @Ginny218 I have heard of bento boxes before. Do you know what category they might be under on this site?

Here's the bento box thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10043413/using-bento-boxes-for-lunches/p1

My go-to snacks are babybel cheese, pistachios, gala apples, clementines, green apples with peanut butter, Clif bars (peanut toffee buzz, yum), hummus with red bell pepper or cucumber, bananas, various kinds of yogurts, and dried cranberry/mixed seed trail mix.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, string cheese, protein bars
  • Sophi_allheart
    Sophi_allheart Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for some snack ideas! I think these will really help me in the long run. :)
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cheese and some whole grain crackers do it for me. There is a brand I get from Sam's, Crunchmaster, that seems to be pretty healthy and relatively low in sodium. I like the taste, not everyone will.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana thing above sounds like a winner!! I like dried figs, hardboiled eggs with sriracha, laughing cow spread on a toasted English muffin half, a nice big deli pickle, sliced turkey, any type of berries.
  • erod95695
    erod95695 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    celery stick with cream cheese and raisens. celery stick with cream cheese and sugar free strawberry jam. half lrg apple with 1 tbs peanut butter. Half a banana curbs the chocolate sweet tooth. Stick a sugar free kiwi strawberry benifiber in 16oz h2o so yummy , sweet and fiber curbs hunger/ 20 cal.
  • bhunter428
    Options
    Has anyone dried apples in the oven? They are pretty crispy and sweet -- especially if you had some cinnamon or cinnamon and sugar. It doesn't take much to flavor the apples a lot.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking for a snack for "mindless munching" or really still hungry in the evening I do this. I make a mini pickle tray. A few dill pickle slices..a couple sweet pickle slices.. 5 green olives.. 1 oz or less of cubed cheese and either a few grapes, app,d slices or boiled egg. A lot of food without a lot of calories ;)