Showing Respect

Options
Hello,
I was wondering about how respectful do you feel towards others on a daily basis.
How often do you think someone is in your way, is stupid, old, going too slowly, doing it wrong, has bad intentions, etc etc. Do you think your respect for others shows through? Can it show, if your insides are screaming otherwise?

Do you demonstrate patience and compassion and kindness?

Do you have a deep respect and reverence for older people?

Do you have good basic social skills, can you greet others and express friendliness and attention to good manners?

If you are an older person, do you think you are setting a good example of respectfulness so that others who witness your actions and words are influenced for the better?

How have you scored today?

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• ashishtk22
    ashishtk22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe everyone deserves respect. Yes, its true that some deserve a bit more, but its because of their actions. Also I do believe people recognise that in the way we conduct ourselves. Older people &children deserve the most respect you can give anyone. One is our past and the other our future, can't ignore those :)
  • JeffFit70
    JeffFit70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Such a good reminder.

My basic social skills are solid, but I can certainly do better with being patient.

I generally adore older people...More so as I get older :)

• clensor1955
    clensor1955 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    While I could work on patience, I do try to be kind and courteous to others. We can always improve and your post is a nice reminder. Thanks for sharing.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thank-you! I'm in training myself, I think the place to show respect first is at home with hubbs and children! Thanks for replying.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Working with people with disabilities for 20 years taught me both respect and patience. Everyone should be shown both until they prove themselves unworthy of it, IMHO.

One of my favorite quotes is "Be kind, always. Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
  • Lovee_Dove7
    edited March 2016
    Options

One of my favorite quotes is "Be kind, always. Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about"

^^^^^^The above quote is TRUTH!!!!!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I think respect needs to be earned, not just handed out to people because of age or anything else. If I respect the elderly man in front of me because he's older, then he makes a lecherous remark, or treats the cashier disrespectfully, is he still deserving of my respect? I am nice to everyone until they show they deserve otherwise. I've been told I'm extremely patient and I love helping people.

But respect is deeper than that to me, and I will respect someone when they show me they deserve it. People I generally respect immediately are our military, volunteer medical professionals, animal rescuers and most teachers.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    ashishtk22 wrote: »
    I strongly believe everyone deserves respect. Yes, its true that some deserve a bit more, but its because of their actions. Also I do believe people recognise that in the way we conduct ourselves. Older people &children deserve the most respect you can give anyone. One is our past and the other our future, can't ignore those :)

Thanks! I agree, respect should be given to everyone! And the person receiving it should recognize it as genuine.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I think respect needs to be earned, not just handed out to people because of age or anything else. If I respect the elderly man in front of me because he's older, then he makes a lecherous remark, or treats the cashier disrespectfully, is he still deserving of my respect? I am nice to everyone until they show they deserve otherwise. I've been told I'm extremely patient and I love helping people.

But respect is deeper than that to me, and I will respect someone when they show me they deserve it. People I generally respect immediately are our military, volunteer medical professionals, animal rescuers and most teachers.

Thanks for your reply! It's definitely a challenge to be respectful to some!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I have all the social skills of Sheldon Cooper. :grin::lol:

Yep, my husband and I watch that show, and he has developed a deeper understanding of me through it. :grin:
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    I had to google that! lol I'm so out of touch with TV. We all need some good geeky rudeness. FR sent. lol
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What we put out to the world becomes our reality. When you throw a stone into a lake, ripples in the water follow. Everything we do or say affects more than just one other person...
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    Truth!