Typical value per100g

Options
If I see this sentence 'Typical value per 100g' once I must see it 50 times a day when I'm supermarket shopping. It really gets on my nerves as I then have to hunt around the rest of the packaging for the full weight of the product, which is never that easy to find. Then divide it by how many serving it contains to guess how many calories I will be eating. I have also noticed that food is never served in multiples of 100g. Needless to say this slows me down in the aisles, much to my partner's annoyance.

It drives me nuts!!! It works well for only a small amount of food stuff that I would weigh out anyway such as rice or pasta. Maybe meat too. But after that it's a nuisance and not helpful at all for food such as pre-prepared meals or confectionery. I know I shouldn't have sweets, but one biscuit is fine occasionally. Today I found myself having to weigh out a wafer biscuit which barely registered on my kitchen scales. I wish the packet had just told me how many calories the biscuit contained....ggrrr
Food companys need to help dieters not hinder them.

I'll get off my box now :0)
Lynn

Replies

• celizabet
    celizabet Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So true! I'm from America, but I had this soy yogurt that came from the UK and it only listed calories per 100g and I never understood why. People don't eat 100 grams of everything!
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Because of this I feel like I NEED to have a 100g serving of everything. Eating things in bigger/smaller quantities makes me panic, LOL.
  • Kezziix
    Kezziix Posts: 3
    Options
    I no! worst of all i never find out till after i've eaten it & then i have to add on some exercise time:@ grrr!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I fully agree there, they give a serving size that is not an actual portion of the serving size. Like a 100 gram serving size for a 400 gram container is easy.

But a 28 gram serving from a 72 gram bag... that's not a direct ratio of serving size to bag quantity. Bonkers! Plus all the baked goods that if you are quickly scanning them "oh only 300 calories for this muffin" and in the fine-print that 300 calories is for HALF the muffin.
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is what a math book I have says about "gram" (it is metric) the gram is the basic unit of weight and is about the weight of 10 straight pins. A nickel weighs about 5 grams and a full box of gelatin (small size) weighs about 100 grams. A one pound can of coffee weighs about 500 grams, that is, half-a-kilogram. Hope this helps. FG
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    well once you find it out, you know for the next time. I am the same I will even as ask for help at times and take about calories and such out loud. It makes the people around me start thinking about their food choices too.
  • New_Lynn
    New_Lynn Posts: 19
    Options
    Glad it's not just me then :0)