Healthy on a Budget - Groceries you discovered

Options
q92byz5mou1g.jpeg I've been buying Oikos Triple zero and Danone Light and fit because I was under the impression that there is no lower calorie vanilla Greek yogurt until one day I picked up this one!! omg 90 calories per cup and it's super delicious and way cheaper! I am now on hunt for other products that are healthy , cheap and low calorie

If you have discovered any products that aren't advertised but are much more budget friendly and just as healthy let me know

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    any store-brand oats. healthy, cheap and you can usually get a huge container.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    By far, it is cheapest just to make Greek yogurt yourself. Takes like 5 minutes of your active time. Get an Instant Pot, be blown away.

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs. Usually a little less expensive than chicken breast, and much more tasty. Also agreeing with bulk items, even if it's just the larger container of seeds/nuts. If you or someone you know has a warehouse membership (Sam's, Costco, etc) they can be great places for some items.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Celery! About $1/bag.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    fresh vegetables at Aldi. I love Aldi. Well, I love their prices anyway. They have cheap everything.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    fresh vegetables at Aldi. I love Aldi. Well, I love their prices anyway. They have cheap everything.

I agree 100%. Aldi cuts $20 off of my grocery bill and they have so many great healthy options
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    q92byz5mou1g.jpeg I've been buying Oikos Triple zero and Danone Light and fit because I was under the impression that there is no lower calorie vanilla Greek yogurt until one day I picked up this one!! omg 90 calories per cup and it's super delicious and way cheaper! I am now on hunt for other products that are healthy , cheap and low calorie

If you have discovered any products that aren't advertised but are much more budget friendly and just as healthy let me know

• sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Dannon yougurt light and fit greek yougurt is 80 calories
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Start a vegetable & or herb garden! There's so many ways to make it work even in the smallest of apartments
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Truth about making your own greek yogurt. However, I didn't buy any equipment, I just use a pot on the stove.
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Homemade yogurt sounds lovely, what culture do you use ? Where can I buy the culture? I never done it ... I like the Vanilla Greek Yogurt, do you just add vanilla and sweetener ? Also do you use non fat or skim milk and how many calories is the yogurt? Sorry I know many questions but I'd love to know
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    Start a vegetable & or herb garden! There's so many ways to make it work even in the smallest of apartments
    I am growing Hungarian was peppers lol it's a good start and once the weather gets hot will buy some Basil, Oregano, Parsley as well for the balcony dp60vn8kqjci.jpeg

• milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I always go for Fage Greek yogurt, low in calories and sugar and high in protein.

I always by things like oats, quinoa, lentils and beans ☺️ as they can be kept for quite a while and can help bulk out meals
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any of the products I find at Aldi. I love them!
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dry beans! You rehydrate them at home. Super delicious, can use for almost any recipe. Cheap! I rehydrate on Sunday and eat for the whole week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    The farmers markets near me that do not specialize in organic have great prices. The ones that do specialize in organic tend to be pricey, IME.

I'm already harvesting chives from my garden and look forward to kale soon. I also have spearmint, peppermint, and sage that is perennial (comes back every year.) This winter, my rosemary survived as well. I have a mini greenhouse now and am going to try to push the season for basil this year - I can count on some locations to sell it earlier than is safe unprotected.
  • milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Frozen food is also a god send, like meat, fish, fruit and veg
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pasta (wheat, corn, whole wheat, any will do!), white rice and baguettes. I came to find that these have been extremely cheap foods to buy. Also I've made tomato sauce and frozen veggie mixes staples of mine! So cheap and yummy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Store brands or generic are generally cheaper.
    Buying things whole and cutting, skinning, shredding, peeling them yourselves is cheaper.
    A whole chicken or chicken thighs can be cheaper than chicken breast or wings.
    Plain oatmeal instead of individual flavored packets.
    Dry beans and lentils are super cheap.
    Eggs, tuna, peanut butter, rice, pasta are usually inexpensive.
    Buy fruits and vegetables in season.
    Reduce waste. Buy foods with a longer shelf life. Frozen vegetables are nice because you can take out only what you need.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was buying spinach and it would always ALWAYS go bad before I could finish the bag. Now I buy romaine hearts for my salads and it stays good for over a week!