Fitness Equipment!

Options
I've joined a gym recently with the intention of shedding some pounds before my summer holiday..
What is the best equipment I can use for a 200lb+ lady??
All round work outs are preferable.. But obviously not always possible!

Help! Thanks :)

Replies

• ThermoDust
    ThermoDust Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me the elliptical was the best. It was easy on my body when I was starting and with the option to change the settings, such as resistance and cross-ramp, I was able to start out easy and whenever I felt like I needed to make it harder(I based that off my heart rate, I liked to keep it at 130-170) I'd just up the settings.

As for strength training, I love the TRX and resistance bands, but that is because I bought them for home since my lazy personality hasn't gone away so I never have an excuse.
  • crispw60
    crispw60 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree on the elliptical because it's so versatile and there's almost no chance of an injury to your joints (vs. treadmill) since it's virtually impact-free. Smooth as buttah! You'll be more inclined to stick with it if you don't get injured and it's tailor made for fat burning. If you incorporate interval training with steady-state cardio, you'll see that weight drip right off. Always do a warm-up/cool-down but do a steady pace for a longer period (e.g., 30-50 min) one day, then do intervals the next day, like the equivalent of a sprint (70-85% HR) for 1 min, followed by 2 min of normal pace (i.e., ~50-65% HR) for 20-30 min. Intervals are for no more than 3x/week because they're so challenging to the body and you need recovery time. Besides really working your heart with the arm movements, you can get a better workout by occasionally going backwards on it, too. Your thighs, glutes, calves, hamstrings, and abs will burn right into shape. There's many variations of those workouts so you'll keep your body guessing, too. Your gym should have good machines that keep your posture straight so you're not leaning forward or backward during your workout (very important) and the foot rest pedals are close together. Maybe see popsugar.com for workouts.