Stuck at 199-201

Hi, I've lost 130 lbs, 80 over the last 10 months. I've started walking again after a long winter, have gotten myself up to 3 miles this year because I have a consistent walking partner. I am 62, 5'6. I only use my fitness pal and count calories. Before cold weather I did only 2 miles.
Told to use 1200 calories. I never use my extra calories, and most times only around 1000 calories. Constipation all the time too. More walking. Been stuck for weeks. Was excited when I went under 200, but now my flux goes above. I need help to break this. Oh, would an incisional hernia add weight? Seems bigger as I loose weight?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I don't know about the hernia, but regarding your calories, are you weighing your food with a food scale? You could be eating more than you think. Especially at that amount of calories, you should be losing way more. Do you have any other medical issues? Thyroid? Diabetes?
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Drink a TON of water, I mean, the amount where you're going to need to be every 30-60 minutes. Lol. I know this is a huge issue on why I've plateaued. Kick your workouts up a notch perchance? Maybe on your walks bring some weights? Incorporate light weightlifting? What's the content of those 1,000 - 1,200 calories? Protein and veggies I'd say are the most important food groups to focus on. :)
  • birknsan
    birknsan Posts: 15 Member
    I am diebetic, dr said slight change in thyroid and put me on sinthroid 4 months ago. Med check in May. Yes weigh everything. Only lost 19 lbs since January. Stopped eating daily Quaker protein bar which I started eating after the new year. They started taking me closer to 1100 calories. Trying for 25% protein macros, don't know what to put carbs and fat tho
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on your amazing losses! Im 5-7, age 60 for 11 more days, and lost 137 over 22 months. Fluctuations of a few pounds are perfectly normal. Is this this the first time you've fluctuated or stalled for as few weeks? I fluctuate almost daily and frequently stall for a couple of weeks. I'm currently in that spot, but I always get a Whoosh! where a few lbs disappear overnight.

Constipation can result from many factors, including not eating enough, too little fiber, too little water, meds, etc. I would be concerned about you low calorie intake. Shouldn't really eat less than 1200 NET on a regular basis. I'm about your size, walk the same as you, and have steadily lost at 1700.

The hernia will seem bigger when you lose weight because there is less hiding it. A hernia is your own body tissue protruding through, so it not added weight in itself. Not like a tumor.

It does seem hard to get past that 200 mark for good, because it's such a big milestone. Keep up the good work!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    19 lbs since January is a really good loss. So I'm not sure why you think you're stuck, really.

I do think you should be eating more calories though. 1100 calories for your stats isn't appropriate, even with a thyroid issue. I think this is more of a patience issue. You could easily be just retaining water from the extra exercise or from salt... who knows. I'd give it 4-6 weeks of no change before getting concerned... but really, work on getting an appropriate amount of calories.
  • birknsan
    birknsan Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks all. Happy birthday Lorrpb. I've seen a few things here. I have been a little slack on the water, not a big veggie eater tho do like fruit. The walking weights are a good idea. 62, do take lots of meds as well. Ugh, just don't want to be stuck because of age either.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Do you weigh all your food? So not using cups and spoons or serving sizes...but weighing it on a food scale

It could very well be that you always ate more than you thought. And yes you can lose weight then too because you have a big deficit.
    But losing the amazing amount you did your deficit gets smaller and smaller...till it is wipped out.
    And you eat at maintaining level.

So the 1200 calories you are eating aren't really 1200 but a couple hundred calories more ( un-intended).

For most people this is the case.
    Try to weigh all your food when you didn't this before

And when you did weigh ALL your food, maybe a doctors consult to see if there is something wrong. Somebody of your height and weight should lose on 1200 NET a day.

I also would open the diary so people can see and help you out with it. Logging errors are very common.

Then you lost 19 lbs since January? That is a good loss and maybe you are just holding some water ( fluctuations). Also the less you weigh the slower it goes ( your deficit becomes smaller your body need less calories) but also you fluctuate more i noticed. For me that started around the 199 lbs.

I am almost 51, weigh around 145 lbs and i am "5.5 and i lose weight ( slowly) at a TDEE of 2000 calories.

So maybe tighten up your logging and wait it out for some weeks.

95069916.png