Scared to start lifting...

Options
Hey all,

I would really appreciate some advice. I'd day I'm quite fit in terms of cardio activity- however I've had a lot of people saying that lifting/strength work will enhance weight loss/toning up etc. However, I have no idea where to start/what to do- how many reps- I really have no clue. Furthermore, the weights room at my uni is full of males so I'm a bit intimidated haha!

If anyone has a basic plan for complete beginners to lifting or something... that'd be so appreciated!

Xx

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Online you can look at these for free:
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    All Pros Beginner Routine

There's also Starting Strength, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The advice I give to women who don't want to be bothered by idiots in the free weight room is to wear headphones and ignore the guys who'll try to make advances. Even I wear them as a male because I really can't stand some of the idiots at my gym.

Some folks will give you some tips for the starting programs. I believe the one most recommended is 5x5.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have trainers available at the fitness centre? Learning good form is an important step in getting started.

I'm sure if you asked around you'd also find other women at school who are lifting for a little moral support (even though I would hope that the males in the weight room would be supportive....)

• arditarose
    Options
    Don't worry about the men. Sometimes I look around and realize I'm the only women there. It's not like I'm walking around constantly focusing on what gender I am and what gender everyone around me is. I'm there to lift the weights so I can be strong and hot.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Don't worry about the men. Sometimes I look around and realize I'm the only women there. It's not like I'm walking around constantly focusing on what gender I am and what gender everyone around me is. I'm there to lift the weights so I can be strong and hot.

Exactly this, too. Do this for you and don't worry about anyone there. There are always people who can lift more than you, man or woman, and, in the end, you're there for your health.

Some people love to show off. Those people are idiots and will end up hurting themselves and their health.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I would really appreciate some advice. I'd day I'm quite fit in terms of cardio activity- however I've had a lot of people saying that lifting/strength work will enhance weight loss/toning up etc. However, I have no idea where to start/what to do- how many reps- I really have no clue. Furthermore, the weights room at my uni is full of males so I'm a bit intimidated haha!

If anyone has a basic plan for complete beginners to lifting or something... that'd be so appreciated!

Xx

Definitely start lifting ASAP. A few thoughts from a fellow amateur.

1) Don't try to lift too much. For starters, you should only lift a weight that allows you to do 3 sets of 10. By the end of the 3rd set, it should start to feel difficult. Don't overdo it at first.

2) Do complete extensions. I hate watching people do partial lifts because it allows them to do more weight. If you can't do a complete extension, it's too much weight.

3) Don't go too light. If you aren't feeling fatigued by the end of the third set, you probably aren't doing yourself any favors. It may take a couple trips to get the right amount.

4) Feel free to ask a trainer how to use a piece of equipment if you aren't sure. That's what they are there for. Any gym worth going to will have a person available to walk you through the equipment the first time.

5) Take a 45 sec to 1 minute break between sets. Allow your muscles to recharge a little.

6) In time, you should set aside one lifting session per week to work on your peak strength. Do 3 sets of 5 and pick a weight that really pushes your limits. Still, pick a weight that allows you to finish the 3 sets.

7) Don't forget your core. Make sure to work in some exercises that build up your core muscles. A strong core is important overall.

8) Have fun and worry only about yourself.

Hope this helps.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Follow up to the other post. I personally do the following routine when I go to the gym:

1) 20-30 minutes running (I like getting my heart rate up and do cardio before lifting)

2) Chest Press

3) Lat Pull

4) Butterfly

5) Reverse Butterfly

6) Calf Raises (give those arms, shoulder and back a break)

7) Tricep extensions

8) Torso Rotation (work the core!)

9) Abdominal (more core)

10) Row

11) Overhead Press (I use dumbbells here)

12) Curls (dumbbells here)

13) Lateral Raise

I'll do a different day where I'll work my legs hard.
  • katiealice16
    katiealice16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @arditarose Thank you so much. I'll google them now. X
  • arditarose
    Options
    @arditarose Thank you so much. I'll google them now. X

Yes. You should do a structured program rather than someone's personal one they copy and paste on here.
  • katiealice16
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    The advice I give to women who don't want to be bothered by idiots in the free weight room is to wear headphones and ignore the guys who'll try to make advances. Even I wear them as a male because I really can't stand some of the idiots at my gym.

Some folks will give you some tips for the starting programs. I believe the one most recommended is 5x5.

@drwilseyjr Thank you so much for your comment. You're completely right regarding guys trying to talk to you- it's like 'I come here to work aah!' Haha. I'll check out your recommendations.
  • katiealice16
    Options
    Do you have trainers available at the fitness centre? Learning good form is an important step in getting started.

I'm sure if you asked around you'd also find other women at school who are lifting for a little moral support (even though I would hope that the males in the weight room would be supportive....)

@BrianSharpe Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately because it's just the university gym it's a bit limited in terms of help. I know there are a couple of trainers so I'm sure I could ask someone for advice. or failing that, as you suggested, I could ask a male or female in the weights room for some guidance!
  • katiealice16
    Options
    kuger4119 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Xx

Definitely start lifting ASAP. A few thoughts from a fellow amateur.

1) Don't try to lift too much. For starters, you should only lift a weight that allows you to do 3 sets of 10. By the end of the 3rd set, it should start to feel difficult. Don't overdo it at first.

2) Do complete extensions. I hate watching people do partial lifts because it allows them to do more weight. If you can't do a complete extension, it's too much weight.

3) Don't go too light. If you aren't feeling fatigued by the end of the third set, you probably aren't doing yourself any favors. It may take a couple trips to get the right amount.

4) Feel free to ask a trainer how to use a piece of equipment if you aren't sure. That's what they are there for. Any gym worth going to will have a person available to walk you through the equipment the first time.

5) Take a 45 sec to 1 minute break between sets. Allow your muscles to recharge a little.

6) In time, you should set aside one lifting session per week to work on your peak strength. Do 3 sets of 5 and pick a weight that really pushes your limits. Still, pick a weight that allows you to finish the 3 sets.

7) Don't forget your core. Make sure to work in some exercises that build up your core muscles. A strong core is important overall.

8) Have fun and worry only about yourself.

Hope this helps.

@kuger4119 Wow thank you for such a detailed comment- super helpful. Unfortunately as it's just a basic uni gym there aren't that many trainers on hand and as I have only 5 weeks left of term it seems silly to join another gym just for 5 weeks. However I'm sure I could ask some experienced people in the weights room for some kind of guidance. Also thank you for sharing your routine. I like that you start with running as I am trying to run 5 times a week- with the ultimate goal being a half marathon in October (difficult, but not impossible I hope!). Good luck on your journey and thank you so much for such a helpful response!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    IF you are just beginning weight lifting, definitely try and seek out a trainer. Someone who really knows what they are doing. You need proper form, so important. You want to get the max benefits from what you are doing and you don't want to injure yourself. And yes, definitely wear headphones and don't make eye contact with anyone if you want to be left alone.
    Lifting weights will take your fitness to the next level. It will give you nice sculpted muscles and strength.
    Best of luck!
  • katiealice16
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    IF you are just beginning weight lifting, definitely try and seek out a trainer. Someone who really knows what they are doing. You need proper form, so important. You want to get the max benefits from what you are doing and you don't want to injure yourself. And yes, definitely wear headphones and don't make eye contact with anyone if you want to be left alone.
    Lifting weights will take your fitness to the next level. It will give you nice sculpted muscles and strength.
    Best of luck!

Thank you! Unfortunately, I attend just a small university gym so there are not trainers on hand and they do not offer personal training (something I have done prior to starting uni). As I only have 5 weeks left of term here it seems futile to find a new gym. So I suppose I'm going to have to make do with the situation and maybe pester a sports coach or an experienced lifter at the uni for the time being. But thank you so much for your comment!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you look up stronglifts there are form videos which show you how to do all the exercises. If you're unsure if you're doing then right - video yourself and watch back.You don't need a trainer to do a simple beginner program like stronglifts. I was put off starting lifting for months because of feeling intimidated by the men in the gym - now I've been doing SL5X5 for a few months and my only regret is not starting it sooner! I've had no trouble from those guys in the gym.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started with Bodybuilding.com and Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer (tons of other free programs on BB). I liked it because it includes more dumbbells and machines and eased me into lifting. My favorite feature of BB is their Bodyspace app. I could track all my workouts and watch form videos if I wasn't sure about a move. I only did 8 weeks before switching to 5x5. I saw significantly more changes in less time following 5x5. Barbells can seem intimidating, but worth it. I continued to use the bodyspace app to track, I like it a lot better than the 5x5 app. You can search workouts other users have created and create your own. I created my own with the 5x5 A & B days with added glute work from Strong Curves (hip thrusts, bridges, step ups, lunges, etc). Don't worry about dudes in the gym. In fact, I had guys approach me and ask, "hey are you doing 5x5?" Like others said, put in headphones and concentrate on you!