Clothing sizes for taller girls (5'8"+)

Options
Hi everyone! I'm between 5'9 and 5'10 and about 140 lbs currently. I've always had a hard time knowing what size to wear. I usually just buy whatever fits. I like my jeans tight but not so tight I can't move. I like my tops slightly loose. This puts me in a 2 or 4 jeans and always a small ( sometimes xs) for tops or bottoms using letter sizes. I've never had to wear a medium or anything larger than a 6 even at my heaviest weight of 145lbs. I hear lots of tall girls saying they can't get in anything under an 8 jeans Which puzzles me. Is it something to do with body frame? Or are some people naturally larger even at the same weight as others? I work out a lot and have 15-18% body fat, so for me anything under 130 lbs is a size 0. I can't imagine wearing an 8 or larger. I have wide hips which makes me have a thigh gap ( from having such wide hips) but my hip measurement is only 35.. Does anyone here who is tall also have a hard time with clothing sizes ? What size do you wear and what is your height and weight? For science! Haha. I'm trying to figure out if my sizes are abnormal or not.

Also:
Chest :34
Waist: 26.5

Replies

• SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think it does have to do with body frame and the width of your pelvis for example, and even the amount of muscle and fat on your frame. One girl might have a curvier butt and have to wear a higher size than a girl with a flatter butt for example, even if the width if their hips is similar. I'm 5' 8" and always have worn a large for as long as I can remember in t shirts because I have wide shoulders. I may occasionally be able to fit into a medium at my healthiest most slender weight, which would be about 145, but not often.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My height and weight are close to yours, and i think you don't have wide hips if they are 35" at 5'9" - if you are closer to 5'10" and 34-26.5-35 you are built like a fashion model :) and that's probably a 0-2 in most U.S. brands.

So - at 5'9" I generally wore a 0-2 Tall in jeans and work pants, when my measurements were 33-28-35 with the thigh gap, I'm long waisted more than leggy, the tall fits much better through the rise, I hem them if too long. XS Tall in shirts for sure if it was available, or regular Small (I have wide shoulders skeleton wise but small bust.)

Now after a few years of heavier workouts I am 35-29-37 (more butt) and legs are bigger - around a 4 usually works, sometimes a 2 is still better. Shirts, though, solid SmallTall, not XS.

The only time I needed a size 6 was after the 4th baby, I was close to 150lb and higher in fat % than usual.

My guess is that you have slim hips and just perceive them as wide.

• missjelly20
    missjelly20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think your size is fairly normal, however, I do think measurements have a lot to do with overall size.

I'm 6' 2" at 190 lbs. I'm also a collegiate volleyball player.
    Measurements at:
    Chest: 36in
    Waist: 30in
    Hips: 39in

I wear a 14 - haven't fit in to single digits.
    I work out daily, close to 2-4 hours when I do depending on the day and I train others on top of that. I think there has to be a correlation with size because I'm not out of shape by any means, but I was wearing your size in high school/middle school. The way YOU perceive your body isn't probably the way that others will perceive it, so I agree that you may think your hips are wider than you think. I do agree also, however, that it is harder to find clothes that fit. I just go with what fits best and try on everything. That means a lot of returning sometimes.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I don't get the 'what is your size' threads, sorry. Sizing is completely random - it isn't standardized. Sure, there can be a common size that you wear from most stores, but then again there are wild variations. And don't get me started on sizing w/ sewing patterns.

Wear what fits, quit comparing to others.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm between 5'9 and 5'10 and about 140 lbs currently. I've always had a hard time knowing what size to wear. I usually just buy whatever fits. I like my jeans tight but not so tight I can't move. I like my tops slightly loose. This puts me in a 2 or 4 jeans and always a small ( sometimes xs) for tops or bottoms using letter sizes. I've never had to wear a medium or anything larger than a 6 even at my heaviest weight of 145lbs. I hear lots of tall girls saying they can't get in anything under an 8 jeans Which puzzles me. Is it something to do with body frame? Or are some people naturally larger even at the same weight as others? I work out a lot and have 15-18% body fat, so for me anything under 130 lbs is a size 0. I can't imagine wearing an 8 or larger. I have wide hips which makes me have a thigh gap ( from having such wide hips) but my hip measurement is only 35.. Does anyone here who is tall also have a hard time with clothing sizes ? What size do you wear and what is your height and weight? For science! Haha. I'm trying to figure out if my sizes are abnormal or not.

Also:
    Chest :34
    Waist: 26.5

• kissanyacat
    kissanyacat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Different brands fit differently too. Im 5'10 just had baby #2 but typically on my athletic frame at 145 lbs i wear a 6 bottoms and s/m top depending on the brand. Im longer in torso so 32"33" lenght pants. But the brands are all si different and that makes a huge difference!
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. I wear a size 6 pants/skirts and a medium in tops. I have zero luck purchasing regular clothing though and opt to pay a bit more and buy online from shops that carry tall sizing. Long Tall Sally is one of my fav places to shop. The clothing is generally well made and lasts a long time if you take good care of your clothing. Their sizing is great for taller gals!
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Scandinavianblonde Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Robin- seems we are very similar. I like you only needed a size 6 once in my life in high school when I weighed mid to upper 140s. It's good to know I'm not delusional about sizing. I was confused since most of my taller friends always wear much bigger sizes. But now that I think about it objectively, even though they look great they're probably 20 lbs more than me and some are even taller than me so that's probably why there are in larger sizes! I'll just keep buying whatever works. If I ever need to buy anything important in the future like a dress for a friends wedding or something then I will get sized but I guess sizes vary by brand? I was always under the impression that most stores were close enough I could always be the same. So very wrong lol
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Scandinavianblonde Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kcn I've never heard of that store I must check it out